Author Topic: Clear as Mud  (Read 13714 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Clear as Mud
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2007, 07:47:58 PM »
What, Trent Lott and George Allen would do as well anywhere else in the world?  Hope not!

There are racists supported by segments of their population all over the world.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2007, 07:52:13 PM »
<<The South was invaded and repressed and fought back against what they saw as evil . The North exploited the South economically during the same period.>>

Are you totally CRAZY???  They could have avoided the whole thing by giving up SLAVERY.  They should thank their lucky stars they weren't totally exterminated for the evil slaving bastards they were.
------------------------------------------------
Sorry, plane, I was so infuriated by the opening of your post that I didn't even bother to read through to the end.  Glad you aren't unconditionally supporting those bastards.  Next time, I gotta remember to read the whole post before blowing my stack.

Do you think that the South could have peacefully seceded if it had given up slavery?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2007, 09:02:08 PM »
<<That is anoter good reason for me to stay breif, isn't it?>>

No, it isn't, it's a very bad reason for you to stay brief, but it's a great reason for me to stay cool and read every post through to the end.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2007, 09:07:51 PM »
<<Do you think that the South could have peacefully seceded if it had given up slavery?>>

Of all the other reasons given as causes for the Civil War, I don't think all of them added up together even came close to the influence of the slavery issue.  If slavery weren't an issue, I don't think the South would have ever chosen to secede.  But hypothetically, if it had so chosen, I don't believe the North would have let it go.  I think by that point in time, the vision of a new continent-wide world power from the Rio Grande to the Great Lakes (including the populated parts of Canada) was a very potent force in the North.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2007, 09:31:11 PM »
<<Do you think that the South could have peacefully seceded if it had given up slavery?>>

Of all the other reasons given as causes for the Civil War, I don't think all of them added up together even came close to the influence of the slavery issue.  If slavery weren't an issue, I don't think the South would have ever chosen to secede.  But hypothetically, if it had so chosen, I don't believe the North would have let it go.  I think by that point in time, the vision of a new continent-wide world power from the Rio Grande to the Great Lakes (including the populated parts of Canada) was a very potent force in the North.

The South felt that it was being economicly exploited by the North and taxed unfairly , but slavery was the issue worthy of remembrance . Even though President Lincon promised to leave the institution of Slavery intact where it was at the outset.

In the present conflict there are a lot of issues involved , is one of overarching importance ?
Even if it is not one that seemed so at first?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2007, 09:50:54 PM »
<<In the present conflict there are a lot of issues involved , is one of overarching importance ?>>

Lessee . . . what's a one-syllable word that means a liquid hydrocarbon fossil fuel commonly known as black gold?

<<Even if it is not one that seemed so at first?>>

Ooops, that can't be it, then.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2007, 01:17:14 AM »
<<In the present conflict there are a lot of issues involved , is one of overarching importance ?>>

Lessee . . . what's a one-syllable word that means a liquid hydrocarbon fossil fuel commonly known as black gold?

<<Even if it is not one that seemed so at first?>>

Ooops, that can't be it, then.

I think you have a fixation.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2007, 01:29:39 PM »
<<I think you have a fixation.>>

Yeah, on the 800 lb. gorilla in the room that your "President" doesn't want anyone to mention.