Author Topic: topic today is insults  (Read 1148 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
topic today is insults
« on: October 14, 2011, 01:30:47 PM »
for the past  month I`ve been giving the subject of insults much thought. I admit I`ve given many and will in the future,but have anyone notice no matter how clever a person give an insult that person technically should look stupid. they`re is nothing flattering about giving it and still we all percieve such behavior praise worthy. I say this because I saw the charlie sheen roast and realize " how the fuck is the ok"
ex. you know what nobody will ever say- not enough black people.

I`m not trying to sound pc ,just making an observation about the insults and wonder how is it people like seeing people giving them.

a bad idea but I`m almost inclined to encourage folks to give me insult with the full knowledge that he`s the idiot. but just thats stupid.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: topic today is insults
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 11:47:28 PM »
The Dozens is a game that has its origins in African American slavery. The game originates from the devaluing and bargaining off of deformed or defective slaves in auction houses. This element of the African American oral tradition in which two competitors, usually males, go head-to-head in a competition of often good-natured insults. They take turns "cracking," "snapping," "ribbing" or insulting on—one another, their adversary's mother or other family member until one of them has no comeback. This is called playing the dozens or doin' the dozens, and sometimes dirty dozens. The dozens is a contest of personal power—of wit, self-control, verbal ability, mental agility and mental toughness. Each putdown, each "snap", ups the ante. Defeat can be humiliating, but a skilled contender, win or lose, may gain respect. The dozens is one of the contributing elements in the development of hip hop, especially the practice of battling.

The dozens can be a harmless game, or, if tempers flare, a prelude to violence. While the competition, on its face, is usually light-hearted, smiles sometimes mask real tensions. But in its purest form, the dozens is part of an African-American custom of verbal sparring, of woofin' and signifyin', intended to defuse conflict nonviolently, descended from an oral tradition rooted in traditional West African cultures.

"Yo mama", or "yo madra" are common, widely recognized argumentative rejoinder in African-American vernacular speech, is a cryptic and sometimes comical allusion to the dozens. An example would be, "Yo momma is so fat she follows Burger King on Twitter!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dozens

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 12:03:18 AM »
I actually of thought that while writing this post,but didn't knw the proper name.
That game as more profanity than a roast and not as mean spirited. Te younger generation finds a roast abit overwhelming.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 12:30:42 AM »
I never liked roasts, but I did like a comedian - - could it be Don Rickles?  - -  who specialized in insults.  Jackie Mason had a schtick where he pretended to be surprised by the number of hookers in the front row of the audience.  Of course, the ladies in the front row of the audience were usually a bunch of overdressed, matronly Jewish wives, but he would single individuals out as illustrative of one aspect or another of "the life."

As far as I can see, insult humour has to be kept light-hearted and fantastical "Yeah, yo'momma so fat that when she sit aroun' de house, she sit aroun' de house."  Since NOBODY could possibly be that fat, it stays light-hearted and funny.

Just for the hell of it, I googled Don Rickles, which led to a link to insult comedy which in turn linked to The Dozens.  It looked interesting but I didn't have time to go through it all.  I did learn that Don Rickles enlisted in the Navy in WWII and served in the Pacific on board the Cyrene.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 12:52:45 AM »

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 01:16:56 AM »
I think it was a tender for torpedo boats.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 01:05:59 PM »
Rickles is the most famous comedian who specializes in insults that I can think of. Jackie Mason is hardly polite, either.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 01:34:44 PM »
Anyone remember the line, "Please.  Don't make me insult you?"

I think it was Don Rickles', but only because a good friend of mine, who introduced me to it and used it a lot, was a huge Rickles fan.  I tried a couple of times to track it down on the internet, but without success; maybe because I was searching the line itself.  Had I searched for the line AND the name of a comedian (starting with the usual suspects one at a time) it might have turned out better.