Author Topic: Sharpton on Daily Show: OWS! has already changed the national conversation  (Read 11243 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Interesting comment by Al Sharpton on the Daily Show yesterday.  When asked what the OWS! could possibly accomplish, Sharpton answered that they had already changed the national conversation.  Meaning that:

- a few months ago, nobody (in the two parties) was talking much about jobs and making ends meet; the GOP had set the national conversation and it focused on deficit reduction.   As the Occupy! movement gained traction, the national conversation (Sharpton says) has moved off the guidelines set for it by the GOP and both parties are talking about the issues important to the occupy! movement, not to the GOP.

- the initial GOP attack dogs (Cantor, attacking the "mobs" et al.) were called off or muted, and Romney apparently has even made noises about how he too is concerned about the 99%.

As a testament to the power of the Occupy! movement, this is impressive.  Romney or any other top-tier GOP leader, IMHO, hasn't a chance in hell of attracting any Occupy! people, but to the extent that the Democrats can succeed in pulling Occupy! into their orbit, this would be the death of the Occupy! movement and of the new approach they are taking to the failure of capitalism. 

The first Occupy Wall Street! people seemed to have a good instinctive grasp of the class war and its relevance to the current mess that the country finds itself in, not only at the symptomatic level, but at the root-cause level.  In some areas, Oakland for example, the class-war perspective is front-and-centre, embraced without fear or apology and seems to form the basis of the day to day strategic planning.  (Thanks again, CU4, for that exceptional video!)  But ANY class-war perspective will inevitably be lost if the Democrats succeed in their attempts to co-opt this movement.

Of course, in the perspective of the class war, changing the "national conversation" from deficit reduction to jobs and homes doesn't seem like much of an advance, but given the perspectives of the demonstrators themselves (or at least, the most politically advanced of their leaders) any discussion of jobs will inevitably expose the roots of the class-war origins of the problem and has at least the potential to expose millions of the demonstrators to basic Marxist-Leninist theory in the most practical of all settings, the ruling class' inability to provide a true account of the loss of American jobs in non-class-war terms.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Interesting comment by Al Sharpton .  Meaning that:

- a few months ago, nobody (in the two parties) was talking much about jobs and making ends meet; ........

Piffle.

How hard would it be to find an hundred articles on that subject about six months old?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
<<How hard would it be to find an hundred articles on that subject [jobs] about six months old?>>

I don't know, but I know it would have been easier to find a thousand articles on deficit reduction.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Do the names Tawana Brawley & Crystal Mangum ring any bells for ya?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Funny, Tawana was the first thing I thought of when the Reverend Al came on stage.  It was a long, long time ago.  The Rev. has really changed - - he's about half his former girth, looks really great, and he don't talk dat crazy talk no more.

Stewart was too polite to bring up the old stuff, but he did ask about changes from the old Al, and the Rev kinda said, well, he's matured some since those days and it was pretty obvious, at least to me, that he had.

He sure was making a lot of sense when he spoke.  And with a good sense of humour too.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Funny, Tawana was the first thing I thought of when the Reverend Al came on stage.  It was a long, long time ago.  The Rev. has really changed - - he's about half his former girth, looks really great, and he don't talk dat crazy talk no more.

Stewart was too polite to bring up the old stuff, but he did ask about changes from the old Al, and the Rev kinda said, well, he's matured some since those days and it was pretty obvious, at least to me, that he had.

He sure was making a lot of sense when he spoke.  And with a good sense of humour too.

I wonder if you would be willing to give Thomas Sowell the same consideration?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
I read Sowell a couple of times only.  Don't even recall which publication he wrote for.  The first time I didn't even realize he was black at first, and I thought "What a fucking idiot."  Then I think I looked at his picture and realized of course that he was just an Uncle Tom earning his keep.  The second time I read him just confirmed what the first time had taught me.  Whitey's game of global domination and oppression victimizes predominantly people of colour.  Any black who supports that shit is by definition an Uncle Tom.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
I read Sowell a couple of times only.  Don't even recall which publication he wrote for.  The first time I didn't even realize he was black at first, and I thought "What a fucking idiot."  Then I think I looked at his picture and realized of course that he was just an Uncle Tom earning his keep.  The second time I read him just confirmed what the first time had taught me.  Whitey's game of global domination and oppression victimizes predominantly people of colour.  Any black who supports that shit is by definition an Uncle Tom.

Racist

BSB

This thread can't be real. It must be some morons dream that floated onto the world wide web.

BSB

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
\
=========================================================
Only when he stops spouting rot.

He shows no signs of doing this.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Sharpton on Daily Show: OWS! has already changed the national conversation
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 03:07:53 PM »
\
=========================================================
Only when he stops spouting rot.

He shows no signs of doing this.

So you side with a Al Sharpton, (a phony preacherman) who has twice got involved in phony rape allegations against white people by black people over Thomas Sowell a decent highly educated African American who has never broke the law, isn't under investigation by the IRS, and doesn't come across as a hater?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 03:14:03 PM »
Al Sharpton is smarter than both Thomas Sowell and you. I did not say I agreed with Sharpton on everything, but he certainly makes far, far more sense than anything you or Sowell has said.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 12:29:21 PM by Xavier_Onassis »
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 01:56:44 AM »
Mickey Tee is smarter than you, XO. He can actually back up his comments with a decent argument. You cannot.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 04:08:59 AM »
<<So you side with a Al Sharpton, (a phony preacherman) who has twice got involved in phony rape allegations against white people by black people . . .>>

The Tawana Brawley thing was what?  Thirty years ago?  Forty?  You sum up the whole of Sharpton's career of fighting white racism since he was a pre-teen preacher as if it all began and ended with Tawana Brawley.  He led the protests over the Howard Beach killings in which a white mob armed with baseball bats beat the shit out of five innocent black teenagers just for walking in their neighbourhood, chasing one of them to his death in traffic.  He protested the NYPD torture of an innocent black man who had the broken end of a toilet plunger rammed up his ass and then shoved down his throat.

He might have gotten taken in by phonies once or twice in a lifetime career of fighting white racism.  BFD.  Would you want a white cop kicked off the force because once or twice in 40 or 50 years he was taken in by someone's lying bullshit and arrested the wrong guy?  He fought against racism his whole fucking life, and once or twice got roped into taking up the wrong battle. BFD.

<< . . over Thomas Sowell a decent highly educated African American who has never broke the law, isn't under investigation by the IRS, and doesn't come across as a hater?>>

I don't expect Uncle Tom to break any of Mr. Charley's laws, his "education" and the skills it conferred seem to have been put to work whoring for Whitey against his own people, and licking Mr. Charley's ass I guess WOULD make him "not come across as a hater."  Fuck Thomas Sowell.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 02:16:13 PM »
<<So you side with a Al Sharpton, (a phony preacherman) who has twice got involved in phony rape allegations against white people by black people . . .>>

The Tawana Brawley thing was what?  Thirty years ago?  Forty?  You sum up the whole of Sharpton's career of fighting white racism since he was a pre-teen preacher as if it all began and ended with Tawana Brawley.  He led the protests over the Howard Beach killings in which a white mob armed with baseball bats beat the shit out of five innocent black teenagers just for walking in their neighbourhood, chasing one of them to his death in traffic.  He protested the NYPD torture of an innocent black man who had the broken end of a toilet plunger rammed up his ass and then shoved down his throat.

He might have gotten taken in by phonies once or twice in a lifetime career of fighting white racism.  BFD.  Would you want a white cop kicked off the force because once or twice in 40 or 50 years he was taken in by someone's lying bullshit and arrested the wrong guy?  He fought against racism his whole fucking life, and once or twice got roped into taking up the wrong battle. BFD.

<< . . over Thomas Sowell a decent highly educated African American who has never broke the law, isn't under investigation by the IRS, and doesn't come across as a hater?>>

I don't expect Uncle Tom to break any of Mr. Charley's laws, his "education" and the skills it conferred seem to have been put to work whoring for Whitey against his own people, and licking Mr. Charley's ass I guess WOULD make him "not come across as a hater."  Fuck Thomas Sowell.

Under your analogy we should forgive a cop (and allow him to keep being a cop) that lies on the stand and gets a man wrongly convicted and ultimately executed. Nice!