Author Topic: Army Ranger on 14th deployment killed in action in Afghanistan  (Read 5932 times)

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Army Ranger on 14th deployment killed in action in Afghanistan
« on: October 26, 2011, 08:28:49 PM »
A United States Army Ranger who has served in 14 combat deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan since September 11, 2001 was killed in Afghanistan on Saturday, ABC News reports.

Sgt. First Class Kristoffer B. Domeij, 29, was killed on Saturday in Kandahar Province when his elite unit accidentally set off a roadside bomb.

A member of the U.S. invasion force that went into Iraq in 2003, Domeij served in all in "four deployments in Iraq and another nine stints in Afghanistan," ABC News' Luis Martinez and Christina Caron reported Tuesday.

Domeij had earned many distinctions since joining the elite special unit in July 2001. He was a three-time recipient of the Bronze Star. He was also part of the unit that was involved in the "rescue of wounded [U.S. Private Jessica] Lynch from an Iraqi hospital where she was being held captive," Martinez and Caron wrote.

In addition, they note, with his death Saturday on his 14th deployment, Domeij became the Army Ranger "with the most deployments to date killed in action." Prior to Domejj's death, the U.S. Army fatality with the greatest number of deployments had been Sergeant First Class Lance Vogeler, who "was killed in Afghanistan during his 12th deployment," last year, Martinez and Caron note.

Rangers typically serve in more frequent deployments, which run for shorter intervals. But even by Ranger standards, Domeij served more combat deployments than many of his elite peers.

"Tracy Bailey, a spokesperson for the 75th Ranger Regiment, says Domeij had a combined total of 48 months deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan," Martinez and Caron reported.

Domeij, a native of Santa Ana, California, was married with two young daughters.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/envoy/army-ranger-14th-deployment-killed-action-afghanistan-205446473.html

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Army Ranger on 14th deployment killed in action in Afghanistan
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 08:38:42 PM »
<<Domeij, a native of Santa Ana, California, was married with two young daughters.>>

If the Army gave a shit about the soldiers or their families, they'd put specific limits on the deployment of fathers of young children.  Family values, my ass.  They don't give a shit about Domeij's family any more than they give a shit about the hundreds of thousands of Afghan and Iraqi families they shred and incinerate.  Fuck the whole God-damn bunch a them.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 08:39:49 PM »
Don't hold back Tee...tell us how you really feel
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 08:44:19 PM »
Mike my guess is it wasn't mandatory he be there after 14 deployments and he must have enjoyed it or felt it was his duty. What would be sad, and the liberal mindset, would be to not let him go if indeed that was his desire. Maybe he felt that his experience might be helpful and maybe protective towards young soldiers on their first deployment and wanted to mentor young kids to keep them safer. There are people out there that are selfless.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 08:53:38 PM »
The Army puts a lot of pressure on experienced fighters to re-enlist.  More likely than not, the guy just needed the money and the bastards weren't willing to put him in a high-paying desk job after his years of service in the field, they  just let him know in a nice way that the money was there but he'd have to put his ass on the line for it again.  Either of those two explanations seems likelier to me than that he would put the welfare of newbies ahead of the welfare of his own young family.  War's a dirty business and people live and die by their experience, judgment and luck - - nobody's indispensable to the war effort and you'll see that the Army survives without this guy, in fact nobody will even notice that he's gone.

Way I look at it, this guy was either a callous schmuck who didn't give a shit about his own family but loved the action in the field, OR he was pressured into re-deployment, either financially or emotionally, by the Army.  The other possible explanations are just fanciful, but the Army, if it cared about the guy's kids, would have prevented re-deployment in the field after a fixed number of tours, regardless of what the guy wanted or didn't want.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 09:00:54 PM »
My condolences to the Domeij family.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 09:02:31 PM »
  MT , it is hard to know where to start, you apparently havn't ever spoken to a soldier.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 09:14:46 PM »
The Army puts a lot of pressure on experienced fighters to re-enlist.  More likely than not, the guy just needed the money and the bastards weren't willing to put him in a high-paying desk job after his years of service in the field, they  just let him know in a nice way that the money was there but he'd have to put his ass on the line for it again.  Either of those two explanations seems likelier to me than that he would put the welfare of newbies ahead of the welfare of his own young family.  War's a dirty business and people live and die by their experience, judgment and luck - - nobody's indispensable to the war effort and you'll see that the Army survives without this guy, in fact nobody will even notice that he's gone.

Way I look at it, this guy was either a callous schmuck who didn't give a shit about his own family but loved the action in the field, OR he was pressured into re-deployment, either financially or emotionally, by the Army.  The other possible explanations are just fanciful, but the Army, if it cared about the guy's kids, would have prevented re-deployment in the field after a fixed number of tours, regardless of what the guy wanted or didn't want.

Mike you can't have it both ways. You seem to like big gov and with big gov people become a just a number. As much as liberals like to tell us how compassionate big government is, it's simply not true. Welfare isn't compassionate when applied generation after generation as government does. Compassion come from churches and individuals that donate their own time and money. Drop the big gov notion it's a dead end street.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 09:16:27 PM »
<<MT , it is hard to know where to start, you apparently havn't ever spoken to a soldier.>>

plane, I know lots of soldiers, some very well.   In my own family, in my neighbours and among my high school teachers.  I think it's fair to say that I don't know any soldiers who served after the end of WWII.  And I'm willing to consider that they're probably a whole different breed from the WWII vets.

What was your point?

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
<<MT , it is hard to know where to start, you apparently havn't ever spoken to a soldier.>>

plane, I know lots of soldiers, some very well.   In my own family, in my neighbours and among my high school teachers.  I think it's fair to say that I don't know any soldiers who served after the end of WWII.  And I'm willing to consider that they're probably a whole different breed from the WWII vets.

What was your point?

You need to tone down the hate speech. Between your rants on this fine young soldier, ranting about the justification of the Red Army raping 12 year old German girls, and your racist rants against Thomas Sowell and Herman Cain you are not doing your cause or yourself any good. People are going to start seeing you as evil and terribly unstable.

Does Canada have any hate speech laws that you might be breaking?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 09:25:54 PM »
I'm willing to consider that they're probably a whole different breed from the WWII vets.

What was your point?

That they are not.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 09:34:15 PM »
<<You need to tone down the hate speech. Between your rants on this fine young soldier, ranting about the justification of the Red Army raping 12 year old German girls, and your racist rants against Thomas Sowell and Herman Cain you are not doing your cause or yourself any good. People are going to start seeing you as evil and terribly unstable.>>

Thanks for the tip, Kramer.  Gee, I wouldn't want people thinking I'm evil and unstable.  What people exactly would they be?

The ones who supported the torture of prisoners in secret prisons around the world?
The ones who supported the Viet Nam War in which 2,000,000 Vietnamese died?
The ones who supported the invasion of Iraq and the deaths of over a million Iraqis, based on a pack of lies that even children could see through?
The ones who supported the President's murder of an American citizen without charges, indictment or trial?
The ones who support the incarceration of Bradley Manning without habeas corpus, charges, indictment or trial?

Yeah, geeze, if folks like that thought that I was evil and unstable, I couldn't hold my head up anywhere in decent society.  Thanks for the heads-up Kramer.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 10:36:59 PM »
<<You need to tone down the hate speech. Between your rants on this fine young soldier, ranting about the justification of the Red Army raping 12 year old German girls, and your racist rants against Thomas Sowell and Herman Cain you are not doing your cause or yourself any good. People are going to start seeing you as evil and terribly unstable.>>

Thanks for the tip, Kramer.  Gee, I wouldn't want people thinking I'm evil and unstable.  What people exactly would they be?

The ones who supported the torture of prisoners in secret prisons around the world?
The ones who supported the Viet Nam War in which 2,000,000 Vietnamese died?
The ones who supported the invasion of Iraq and the deaths of over a million Iraqis, based on a pack of lies that even children could see through?
The ones who supported the President's murder of an American citizen without charges, indictment or trial?
The ones who support the incarceration of Bradley Manning without habeas corpus, charges, indictment or trial?

Yeah, geeze, if folks like that thought that I was evil and unstable, I couldn't hold my head up anywhere in decent society.  Thanks for the heads-up Kramer.

Sounds like everything you are mad about has nothing to do with the loss of this young soldier. Take it up in another place not here.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 11:15:55 PM »
<<Sounds like everything you are mad about has nothing to do with the loss of this young soldier. Take it up in another place not here.>>

Well, Kramer, maybe you don't remember this because it was a long time ago, but I think you commented in this very thread that my "hate speech" was kind of turning off a lot of people and in this very thread, YOU and not I began dredging up all my opinion on the Red Army and the rape of Nazi bitches, etc. 

But I think you made a reasonable suggestion.  How about YOU stick to the topic at hand, the death of this young soldier, and then I too will be able to stick to the topic at hand.  Don't raise extraneous issues and I won't respond with extraneious issues.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 12:06:12 AM »
I am sorry to hear of his death. I wonder why he would go back for 14 deployments, though. It certainly is not typical.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."