Author Topic: Let's see how often this is repeated vs reported  (Read 3286 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Let's see how often this is repeated vs reported
« on: October 27, 2011, 01:41:55 PM »
Recalling that its not so much what's reported that reinforces the predominant left leaning MSM bias, as much as what's NOT reported.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Democrats are increasingly calling it a ‘Republican Congress’
By Alexander Bolton - 10/27/11

President Obama and Democrats on Capitol Hill are increasingly referring to the Congress as “Republican” even though their party controls one-half of the unpopular institution.

Obama and his allies have started to deploy the phrase “Republican Congress” in what some experts see as a clear attempt to gain a political advantage.

“I’m the first one to acknowledge that the relations between myself and the Republican Congress have not been good over the last several months, but it’s not for lack of effort,” Obama told ABC’s George Stephanopoulos earlier this month.

“It has to do with the fact that, you know, they’ve made a decision to follow what is a pretty extreme approach to governance,” he said.

And other Democrats have used the term.

“I’m sure the president would like it to be creating jobs more quickly. And if the members of the do-nothing Republican Congress would actually put a couple of oars in the water and help us, [we could] do these things like [Mississippi] Gov. [Haley] Barbour mentioned that make so much sense,” Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley (D) said on CBS’s “Face the Nation” earlier this month.

Is it a harmless slip of the tongue, or a subtle messaging strategy? Political experts believe it’s the latter.

“I think it’s to convey a message and I think it’s great they’re doing it. There’s so much dissatisfaction in Washington. It’s very important for Democrats to label that dissatisfaction. It’s important to say who’s being the obstructionist and who has real plans,” said Democratic pollster Celinda Lake.

Darrell West, director of governance studies at the Brookings Institution, said, “Democrats are trying to give ownership of Congress to Republicans because the institution is dysfunctional and not addressing the jobs problem, and this is a way to tie blame to the GOP.”

Political scientists have said that Obama is using a game plan similar to that used by Presidents Truman and Clinton. Both won their reelection by railing about Congress. The difference, however, is that both chambers in 1948 and 1996 were controlled by Republicans.

Article
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Let's see how often this is repeated vs reported
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 02:45:44 PM »
When referring to Bachmann we often call her a Congresswoman. When referring to McCain we often refer to him as Senator. I don't know if this is more an example of media bias or if it is a byproduct of the stupefying of the Citizenry.

Yes the term Congress refers to both houses. But the vernacular often indicates Congress is the House of Representatives. Which the GOP does control.

Whatcha gonna do?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 02:49:19 PM »
And when you look at the article you nitice the MSM is quoting the dems. Do we want the media correcting these pols in each article or would that be just another example of them inserting themselves into the story.

And in the end whose responsibility is it to critically read these articles and know the difference between the term Congress and the House of Representatives.

Perhaps a strongly worded letter to the editor is called for.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 03:40:23 PM »
Whatcha gonna do?

Keep highlighting the bias
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 04:21:50 PM »
you wear victimhood well

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 04:28:07 PM »
Strange how I never claimed I was being "attacked" or even reported negatively on.  I'm sure you'll be able to find the post where I must have made that reference, to validate some twisted claim of victimhood.  Or are you playing some 6 levels of connection to Kevin Bacon game??

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 04:33:13 PM »
Strange how I never claimed I was being "attacked" or even reported negatively on.  I'm sure you'll be able to find the post where I must have made that reference, to validate some twisted claim of victimhood.  Or are you playing some 6 levels of connection to Kevin Bacon game??

Never claimed you claimed you were being attacked. You are on a crusade against what you perceive as media bias, and then you post an article that i don't think is biased. And you haven't shown where it is. And i explained why. I'll wait patiently for you to catch up on your end.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 04:37:05 PM »
Not perceived when even you have acknowledged, nor is it playing some victimhood, since I'm merely reporting it.  Are you implying that every reporter in every news organization, when they report on something, they're doing so as a victim??

REALLY?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 04:38:57 PM »
Not perceived when even you have acknowledged, nor is it playing some victimhood, since I'm merely reporting it.  Are you implying that every reporter in every news organization, when they report on something, they're doing so as a victim??

REALLY?

No I'm not. But I am waiting for you to explain how the article is biased.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 04:59:01 PM »
Asked and answered already, in the article itself.......this is NOT a Republican Congress, yet the media is allowing folks like Obama and other Democrats to repeat that mantra, without correction or question

My "query", in posting this thread, is will this continue to be repeated, helping to reinforce the bias all that much more, or will outlets start reporting, correcting, even questioning those same folks as to why are they using such an inaccurate claim

So, now how about answering my question......where the hell do you get off my reporting the bias as playing some victim card??

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 05:37:18 PM »
Guy Benson...10/27/11

In short, the new Democrat messaging strategy is centered around employing intentional dishonesty to manipulate marginally engaged voters.  Imagine that. 

Oh yes, it's very important for Democrats to affix the "Republican" label to all that "dissatisfaction."  Who cares about, you know, actual facts?  Perhaps conservatives should borrow from this playbook and ask voters to return America to the flourishing days of the mid-to-late nineties, when Republicans controlled both houses of Congress and the White House!  (They only had two of the three, of course, but who's counting?  It's all about applying politically convenient labels, baby).

Up next: Who's responsible for this, er, "Republican" Congress' alleged do-nothing approach?  The Republican-held House has passed over a dozen jobs bills this term.  Most of them deal with excessive government regulations because -- I know this is crazy stuff -- business owners overwhelmingly cite excessive government regulations as their top barrier to growth.  Those Republican efforts have run into a brick wall:  The do-nothing *cough* "Republican" Senate.  House Majority Leader Eric Cantor's office has a helpful chart to illustrate this point.  That's the same do-nothing Democratic Senate that has blocked multiple elements the president's terrible jobs bill on a bipartisan basis, in case you'd forgotten. 

One last note.  This "Republican" Congress actually has passed several elements of the president's overall jobs plan.  They've approved three free trade agreements, they've passed patent reform, and just today, the House approved a three-percent withholding rule repeal -- a move the Obama White House has advocated.  Do these bipartisan accomplishments also count as "doing nothing," or should all of the credit go to the Democrat minorities?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 05:51:27 PM »
Asked and answered already, in the article itself.......this is NOT a Republican Congress, yet the media is allowing folks like Obama and other Democrats to repeat that mantra, without correction or question

From the article:
President Obama and Democrats on Capitol Hill are increasingly referring to the Congress as “Republican” even though their party controls one-half of the unpopular institution.

So where is the bias?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 06:12:27 PM »
Answered already: My "query", in posting this thread, is will this continue to be repeated, helping to reinforce the bias all that much more, or will outlets start reporting, correcting, even questioning those same folks as to why are they using such an inaccurate claim

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 06:21:24 PM »
    As long as we keep having such close elections , ou don't have to fool many.

Just that small swing.

Oh sometimes I am so frustrated at the Democrazticly controlled Washington government. 

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 06:23:39 PM »
The article you posted as an example questioned the assertion, so again i don't see this perceived bias you are referring to.

What would you have them do?