Author Topic: occupy is easy to ignore,but this can get scarey for the banks.  (Read 3136 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
occupy is easy to ignore,but this can get scarey for the banks.
« on: November 04, 2011, 11:34:58 PM »
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/11/04/MN411LOOI8.DTL

the next step is for people to apply for loans elsewhere. remember banks are presently making loans hard to get so this will be an easy shift.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: occupy is easy to ignore,but this can get scarey for the banks.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 10:50:54 PM »
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/11/04/MN411LOOI8.DTL

the next step is for people to apply for loans elsewhere. remember banks are presently making loans hard to get so this will be an easy shift.

not really going to amount to anything

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 01:58:57 AM »
lol, i totaLLY CALLED IT

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/04/small-businesses-switching-from-big-banks-to-local-banks_n_1070547.html

if you think for the past 7 years banks have often put money generating systems that quickl;y gets cancelled

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 01:55:18 AM »
Be real careful checking out the smaller banks before you move your accounts. A credit union might be your best bet.  A good many of the local banks that have been shut down by the feds were banks started during to real estate bubble and those remaining could have a lot of bad loans still on their books.

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 03:47:59 AM »
I thoroughly recommend credit unions. I have used them almost exclusively of banks since the late 70's. They can also be Federally or State insured, I have never had a check or ATM fee, and loan rates are very competitive. I trust them because they are local, and they know you not as a customer but as a member.

As I said in another post, our home mortgage was originally with a smaller local bank, at the recommendation of the title company. That bank was soon bought out by a larger bank, then an even larger one, then the mortgage bundled and resold a couple of times. It is now held by one of the largest mega banks, which will not let me make an electronic mortgage payment from my credit union unless I pay a $12.50 fee each time, or open an account with them to make the payment from so they can charge me more fees. I refuse to be bullied by them, and just send them a paper check each and every month. Said all that just to say, a small local bank is no guarantee it will stay small and local.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 09:11:24 AM »
I hate the stupid recommendations they make which will cost the customers money and see no problem with.
ex. bundled account which people willn likely barely qualify and easily dip below the minimum and incur a monthly fee.which if you change the plan the rep will try to talk you out of it by saying just put more money into your account.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 07:48:58 PM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45258539/ns/us_news-life/

Unruly occupiers might loose due to crimes.

I bet most of them know how to behave, but what can they do to winnow out the insane , the provocateurs and the ordinary criminals?

If they can't be good guests any and all cites will eject them.

I really can't see how they will manage.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 08:21:25 PM »
Plane,

You might gain some insight into the owwies by visiting an occupy ( pick a city) live stream and entering the chat.

Last weekend i spoke with one of the bottom liners in Atlanta. Bottom liners seem to be the facilitators or logistics handlers for the directives coming from the consensus decrees by the General Assembly.

From him i gleaned that currently they were staying on an upper floor of a homeless shelter at Peachtree and Pine. In the background i heard a lot of coughing, a couple of days later we learned of the TB outbreak at that site amongst the homeless as well as possibly some of the Owwies.

I asked the bottomliner if they were possible taking up space that might mean a homeless person would end up sleeping on the street. That question freaked the guy out and he went into immediate defense mode about how they had donated food and helped fix the roof and laid carpet etc. I let him off the hook.

Oh and the confrontation with the police in atlanta last week was because of a ruse the owwies pulled on the police. They had entered the park at 10:30 and at 10:55 they all ran out of the park onto peachtree directly towards the cops. Which is why 20 got arrested.
In other words the owwies provoked the incident. And they were pretty proud of themselves for doing it.

I also learned that these folks are not getting help from the ACLU but Atlanta has a roster of 40 lawyers on call if needed provided by the National Lawyers Guild.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 09:33:30 PM »
   It would not be good for me to get involved , not for me as a civil servant , there is a law about that.

Not for them either , I am not really in sympathy.

Still , I would like to see their tecnique develop into something good and usefull.

Is there any path to that?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 10:00:28 PM »
Still , I would like to see their tecnique develop into something good and usefull.

Their technique? I am not clear what you mean by that?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 10:20:34 PM »
  How long has it been since Dr. MLKJr.  got locked up , obviously unjustly?

How long since M. Ghandi fasted so long he frightened his opponents that he might become a martyer?

How long since Leo Tolstoy enunciated the dependance of the government on the permission of the people?

How long since  Henry David Thoreau pondered on the banks of Walden pond the thoughts that delenate the best parts of the American philosophy?  Then of course got himself arrested over the poll tax.

The people can already vote, this is not quite enough while there is a choice between the greater and the lessor fool and half the people don't even show up at the polls for that.

The people can already revolt, but most of us really don't want to. Revolutions are so miserable and we have so much to loose and so little controll over the results , you really gotta be crazy to think it a good idea. Revolts happen when the alternative is worse.

There needs to be a political middle way, so that the folk can lean on the government enough to be effective without having to resort to violence , something satisfying but not something criminal.

ACORN unwittingly works against this by misuseing the concept, but at least the use of the concept causes the development of the concept.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 03:11:47 PM »
Said all that just to say, a small local bank is no guarantee it will stay small and local.

It is, however, pretty certain that no credit union is going to be bought out by a mega bank or any other sort of bank, as in most, if not all states, their charters will not permit it.

So I agree with you 100% that a CU is better than a bank for any sort of business which both  offer. I have two accounts with CU's, and can transfer money from one in LA to a local one in a day at no charge.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."