Author Topic: Touch a robot  (Read 1443 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Touch a robot
« on: November 10, 2011, 09:47:28 PM »
http://machinedesign.com/article/robots-with-force-and-touch-sensitivity-1103

High-speed automation is a hallmark of the manufacturing industry. But some production processes are still carried out by hand because operations require touch sensitivity and force control. Grinding and polishing rough surfaces are but two examples.

The work is done manually because sensing the pressure applied by a moving machine or robot and precisely adjusting it in real time is a complicated and vexing problem. As a result, the few autonomous, force-sensitive tools on the market are either prohibitively expensive, require complex software, or give unsatisfactory performance.

The Active Contact Flange (ACF) from FerRobotics Technology GmbH in Linz, Austria, reportedly overcomes these limitations. The pneumatically powered, controlled-contact device mounts to a robot arm, and tools such as a sanding pad bolt on with a standard flange. In essence, it gives common industrial robots a sense of touch.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Touch a robot
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 10:16:17 PM »
I can see where this is going.  But too late to save Clinton and Herm the Perv from a world of trouble.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 10:45:01 PM »
  Just when I think I don't need a one track mind .

Someone will remind me how much fun a one track mind can be.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 11:15:16 PM »
Nifty.

The disadvantage is that it will put humans out of work. The advantage is that it will make many things less expensive.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 11:37:07 PM »
  There was once a riot of oarsmen , steam engines were going to take all the jobs.

After a while there were ten times as many steam powered boats as there had been oar driven boats, plenty of work for deckhands.

Untill robots develop desires and bank accounts they can't replace human beings.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 11:55:54 PM »
I just can`t see robots replacing illegals in the cheap labor catagory.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 12:13:06 AM »
It would be hard to design veggie and fruit picking robots because fields and trees  are not similar. I imagine that there will come a day when this is possible.

My point is that no innovation is without its disadvantages. The problem is how the people thrown out of work by the innvation can be given a way to support themselves.This is one of the causes of current unemployment.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 12:16:33 AM »
  It depends on the particular circumstances .

If the job is simple enough and makes money year around a robot will probly be the best answer.

Of corse simple enough is a changing thing.

Where the job requires particular skill, adaptability , immediate complex responses or is very seasonal ,People are liable to be the best choice.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 12:24:07 AM »
It would be hard to design veggie and fruit picking robots because fields and trees  are not similar. I imagine that there will come a day when this is possible.

Hmmmm...

Feilds can be flattened, trees can be pruned.
     I wonder what an orchard pruned by a robot would look like , with the treeshape standardised.
     Very flat feilds are already being made for the sake of efficient irragation, to look across  one of those can be eerie.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 12:27:25 AM »
Wheat combines are incredibly expensive and as seasonal as a device can get. But they are so much more efficient than a bunch of men with scythes that harvesting would be impossible on the scale that we do it without them.

The biggest disadvantage of fruit picking and veggie picking devices is that they breed the fruit and veggies to suit the harvester and packing equipment. American tomatoes are hard and flavorless things that only are barely pink, never the crimson of the juicy, delicious ones my grandmother used to grow. You cannot make any sort of decent gazpacho with them.

They have graded sugarcane fields to be really flat, and cane harvesting is done by machines these days in the US and Australia. Sugar is a simple chemical, so the quality of the crop does not suffer. Places where they used to grow sugar that could not be adapted to machines, like Hawaii, have been abandoned to sugar planting.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 01:30:33 AM »
if you think about it machines tend to increase labor.not lower it. if robots were used to increase crop yeilds than the demands for laborer may increase also. remember the cooton gin increased the need for slave labor. the tractor had the same effect.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 07:55:28 AM »
Tractors came along after the demise of slavery.They did not increase the demand for slave labor, at least not in this country.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 11:23:32 AM »
  Eli Whitney had a reduction in the need for slaves in mind when he invented the Cotton gin.

He noticed how many slaves were spending huge amounts of time cleaning cotton.

If he had realised that removing this bottleneck would increase the cultivation of cotton, increaseing the number of slaves required for planting and harvesting would he have skipped the project?

Eli was a decent guy , too bad he is the inventor of the souths wealth bubble and the norths improved rifles.He finally got the results he wanted but at a cost he couldn't have imagined.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 11:46:49 AM »
opp,mispoke

I meant the tractor increased the need for farm labor due to the greater crop yeilds

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 12:05:29 PM »
opp,mispoke

I meant the tractor increased the need for farm labor due to the greater crop yeilds

I suppose it did , but this isa complicated and hard to predict effect.

The total need for food and fiber has grown with the population but the need for mules has fallen to nearly nothing due to the tractor.