Author Topic: Fox News Viewers Uninformed, NPR Listeners Not, Poll Suggests  (Read 11857 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Fox News Viewers Uninformed, NPR Listeners Not, Poll Suggests
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2011, 09:12:46 AM »
That's gonna require a tad more specificity I'm afraid

Search for the 'smoking gun'
NUCLEAR WEAPONS

January 10, 2003|By Wolf Blitzer CNN

"We know that he has the infrastructure, nuclear scientists to make a nuclear weapon," she told me. "And we know that when the inspectors assessed this after the Gulf War, he was far, far closer to a crude nuclear device than anybody thought -- maybe six months from a crude nuclear device."

Dr. Rice then said something that was ominous and made headlines around the world.

"The problem here is that there will always be some uncertainty about how quickly he can acquire nuclear weapons. But we don't want the smoking gun to be a mushroom cloud."

Full article: http://articles.cnn.com/2003-01-10/us/wbr.smoking.gun_1_smoking-gun-nuclear-weapons-hans-blix?_s=PM:US

Was that part true?
    That is worse than I remember.
      Saddam Hussein needed nothing but a little time left alone, he still had all the know how, he still had a good supply of Uranium ore.
         What do we know now that lets us conclude that we could have left Iraq uninvaded and never had to worry about WMD?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2011, 09:24:10 AM »
That's gonna require a tad more specificity I'm afraid

Search for the 'smoking gun'
NUCLEAR WEAPONS

January 10, 2003|By Wolf Blitzer CNN

Last September 8, I interviewed President Bush's National Security Adviser, Dr. Condoleezza Rice. I was pressing her on Iraqi President Saddam Hussein's nuclear capabilities.

"We know that he has the infrastructure, nuclear scientists to make a nuclear weapon," she told me. "And we know that when the inspectors assessed this after the Gulf War, he was far, far closer to a crude nuclear device than anybody thought -- maybe six months from a crude nuclear device."

Dr. Rice then said something that was ominous and made headlines around the world.

"The problem here is that there will always be some uncertainty about how quickly he can acquire nuclear weapons. But we don't want the smoking gun to be a mushroom cloud."

Full article: http://articles.cnn.com/2003-01-10/us/wbr.smoking.gun_1_smoking-gun-nuclear-weapons-hans-blix?_s=PM:US

Now were you that uninformed, or is your memory that bad? I do believe that quote has been provided here before. Despite the fact it only took all of thirty seconds to find, if you are going to play the game of asking me to verify what has been posted here before, you can do your own homework from now on.

Oh, I recall her statement.  I also recall it was specific to the context of what she said....which would be a mushroom cloud over the immediate region of where our troops and/or allies might be, such as Israel, or Kuwait, even Egypt or Jordan perhaps.  He never had a delivery system that could reach the U.S.  I was actually expecting you to provide some quote from her that was new, that was making it more specific to having tried to worry us that it was a potential strike against our country here.

You know its funny, the ONLY folks that insist that Miss Rice's comments had to be in reference to a cloud over the U.S., are those who insist Bush lied.  Ask pretty much anyone, who was supportive of our efforts, you know, supported the call in the need for taking out Saddam, and you'll be sorely missing anyone who believed the Rice was referring to the U.S.

Imagine that, only to the egregiously-lacking-proof-that-Bush-lied crowd, did Rice must mean Saddam was on the verge of nuking Boston       :o
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2011, 10:26:58 PM »
Make of it what you wish. The sole purpose of the statement was to scare Americans into supporting Bush's little war.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2011, 10:49:37 PM »
Of course you'd think that.  You have to, in order to justify some ridiculous notion of Bush lying.  The fact remains, that the only folks who think Rice meant Boston, or some other U.S. city was about to be nuked by Saddam, are those who insist Bush "took us to war on false pretenses".  Both, ironically, yet to be proven with any actual facts.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2011, 11:57:14 PM »
You are the only one who believes that, sirs. You have convinced no one.

Cheney and Bush wanted to invade Iraq from the beginning. Saddam apparently thought he had WMD's, and his officers would not tell him that he did not. He let everyone believe that he did, because it had a deterrent effect on Iran, Syria and perhaps others. But there were none, and more important, no means of delivering them.

It was all a farce, and thousands died.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2011, 12:52:01 AM »
Cheney and Bush wanted to invade Iraq from the beginning. Saddam apparently thought he had WMD's, and his officers would not tell him that he did not. He let everyone believe that he did, because it had a deterrent effect on Iran, Syria and perhaps others. But there were none, and more important, no means of delivering them.

LOL......Of course you'd think that.  The fact remains, that the only folks who think Rice meant Boston, or some other U.S. city was about to be nuked by Saddam, are those who insist Bush "took us to war on false pretenses".  Both, ironically, yet to be proven with any actual facts

By all means, if you think I'm the only one that grasps that Rice was referring to a mushroom cloud over the immediate region, which would include our soldiers and allies, to which he did have such delievery systems, ask anyone else here, who supported Bush going to war, if they believed Rice was referring to the continental U.S.

BSB

« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2011, 02:10:04 AM »
>>America must not ignore the threat gathering against us. Facing clear evidence against us of peril, we cannot wait for the final proof, the smoking gun that could come in the form of a mushroom cloud.<<  George Bush

=============

"....the threat gathering against us." Nothing about any far flung battlefield. Furthermore sirs, terrorists don't need a delivery system and we were talking about Saddam aiding terrorists I believe. That was the whole point.

BTW, little known fact. About a month before the invasion the CIA sent several Iraqi's, who had previously left the country at various times, back to Iraq to gather information on their WMD program. They all reported that there were no active programs, and no known stockpiles. (Full disclosure:I got that from a former Marine I know who was working for the CIA in Afghanistan at the time) 

In case no one remembers there was NO rush to find and secure any possible WMD sites. Many of our combat units were walking around with their heads up their asses instead. 

BSB

P.S. Note I said nothing abot anyone lying.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2011, 03:15:05 AM »
Did I ever claim you did??

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2011, 07:28:36 AM »
  I belived that deposing Saddam was a good idea.

Still do.

I am starting to wonder if our follow through was adequite and thought through.

Al Queda took the power vacuum as an invitation,so that we had an oppurtunity to kill a bunch of those idiots. I don't know if that was intentional on our part in the first place.

Iran couldn't resist the oppurtunity to arms its catspaws and kill Americans , I don't even know whether this was expected or surprising to us.

Now we are leaving , I always knew we would leave , but I never and still don't know how much remnant we will leave , nor what sort of confusion our leaving will engender.

Saddam , for all his bluster, seemed a lot like a pushover. We have had a lot more trouble with the wannabe Saddams that sprang up after Saddam left town.

This suggests a diffrent and cheaper policy if we have occasion to do this sort of thing again.  Depose the nasty ruler, then leave immediately.Let the chips fall where they may but tell the new nasty ruler that he is in no uncertain terms another pushover , so good behavior is a good idea.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 12:06:44 PM by Plane »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2011, 10:28:12 AM »
While deposing Saddam may have been a good idea, the sacrifice of all the Americans who died doing it, the dislocation of a third of the people of Iraq and the deaths of all the Iraqis, along with the huge cost to us Americans was NOT a good idea.

It might be a good idea to fly to Saturn, but the question is always "is it worth the cost?"

And it wasn't.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2011, 11:22:46 AM »
That's one opinion.  Included with myself are those that given the intel we had at the time, it was.  Especially in the aftermath of 911

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2011, 01:06:47 PM »
I suppose the people whose opinions would really matter the most here are the families of those who died or were maimed, both Americans and Iraqis.

I am pretty sure that if I had lost a brother, I would say that it was not worth it.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2011, 01:14:07 PM »
A valid opinion. 

I personally know a co-worker who lost their son in Iraq, and while holding back the tears, stated how they couldn't have been more proud of his service and attempts at protecting this country.  At no time did they ever proclaim how the Iraq was was was supposedly being fought for invalid reasons, or that ther son's death was in vain.  Quite the oppiosite in fact

Are you going to try and rain all over that position, call them stupid, ignorant, and/or misinformed, for holding such an opinion?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2011, 02:26:25 PM »
I am going to say they have a perfect right to any opinion they wish.

I am unlikely to meet them in any case.

If they feel happier knowing that Saddam is dead and feeling that it was worth losing their son over, that is okay by me.

You are the one that likes calling people names. I will leave all that up to you. You enjoy putting words in the mouths of others and being a chickenshit in general. Go ahead, have at ti!

Still, I personally feel that invading Iraq to remove Saddam was not worth it.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2011, 02:31:46 PM »
I have yet to call you a name, despite your claim that its "what I like to do", while you unload the Chick slur.  Best look in the mirror, as that'd be yet another issue you're wrong on