Author Topic: Britain to announce start of Iraq troop exit  (Read 5425 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Britain to announce start of Iraq troop exit
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 01:49:36 PM »
The UK is pulling out because the British public has ALWAYS been against this stupid war, and they feel that the presence of their troops is merely making the situation more violent.

This also has to be quite expensive for them.

It is probable that there was a secret accord that the Brits would not stay past a certain date, and that date is soon to come.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 01:54:19 PM »
The UK is pulling out because the British public has ALWAYS been against this stupid war, and they feel that the presence of their troops is merely making the situation more violent.

That's why they pulled out right after Saddam was taken out........oh wait

What war isn't?

It is probable that there was a secret accord that the Brits would not stay past a certain date, and that date is soon to come.

Oh "obviously" that has to be the case    ::)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 01:57:54 PM »

I guess that secret accord also had several dates, since the Brits are only pulling out 1,600 (22%) of their troops?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2007, 03:55:19 PM »
The British do hate this war in Iraq and generally always have. More importantly to Blair is that the Labour Party has lost a lot of support due to the war and he is likely very concerned that Gordon Brown (his handpicked successor) may not be able to retain the post after he leaves.

It has nothing to do with Prince Harry and in general the royals aren't much of a concern for British MP's unless you're of a particular faction of the Conservative Party known as the "flag and family" group of whom there just aren't very many.

the British people haven't supported the war since the get go, if you hadn't noticed

I have no idea where you get your information Sirs, but it confirms to me that you really don't know much about the world beyond the U.S.

According to MORI (IPSOS MORI is a respected polling firm in Britain) the beginning of the war had a 23% approval rating. By 2005 support was hovering around 30 to 35%.

The majority of British citizens didn't believe that Saddam Hussein should have received the death penalty. I think your perception of Britain is way off.

I think the real issue is political. Tony Blair is a political mastermind. Probably one of the best politicians of modern times in both Britain and the United States. I'd place him up there with Clement Atlee, Pierre Trudeau, and Bill Clinton. Perhaps more intelligent than all three. You can bet that he's looked at this from every angle and it has little or nothing to do with the "job being done" (mind you Prime Minister Blair also said "the invasion has been a disaster" in November).

He may be concerned that Brown won't win the Labour Party nomination or that David Cameron and the Tories are a real threat to win in a general election. The Tories and Liberal Democrats have opposed the war as have a group within Labour. As American-centric as we tend to be, I think this has far more to do with Westminster than Baghdad or Washington DC.

I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2007, 04:13:45 PM »
the British people haven't supported the war since the get go, if you hadn't noticed

I have no idea where you get your information Sirs, but it confirms to me that you really don't know much about the world beyond the U.S.  According to MORI (IPSOS MORI is a respected polling firm in Britain) the beginning of the war had a 23% approval rating (read; vast majority unsupportive). By 2005 support was hovering around 30 to 35%. (read; vast majority unsupportive)

Now I'm confused.  You claim my position that the British people haven't been supporting the war since the get go is ..... well, apparently wrong, then post a reference supporting my very position, as validating how wrong I was??     ???

« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 04:27:06 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2007, 04:35:52 PM »
Apologies, I thought you said they "have" been supportive.

I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2007, 04:57:34 PM »
No problemmo

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2007, 05:42:59 PM »
No problemmo
======================
Should you be wishing to demonstrate your knowledge of Spanish, this is "No hay problema"

"No problemmo" and "Exactamundo" are the sort of bastard Spanglish that Latino comics use when they imitate ignorant gringos to get a laugh from Chicano audiences in LA.

Para que sepas...

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2007, 05:57:23 PM »
No problemmo
======================
Should you be wishing to demonstrate your knowledge of Spanish, this is "No hay problema"

I have miniscule knowledge in speaking spanish, and have no interest in learning such, outside of using it in comical ways such as the above, but thank you all the same Xo                     ::)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2007, 06:00:54 PM »
I have miniscule knowledge in speaking spanish, and have no interest in learning such, outside of using it in comical ways such as the above, but thank you all the same Xo                     Roll Eyes

==========================================
It is interesting to recognize your determination to remain steadfastly ignorant.
Somewhat enlightening as well...

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2007, 07:10:42 PM »
It is interesting to recognize your determination to remain steadfastly ignorant.  Somewhat enlightening as well...

You should talk Mr "it's obvious"       :D