Author Topic: Tebow  (Read 4216 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Tebow
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 03:05:53 PM »
Boxing is not like football. In football, people root for one team to WIN.
In boxing, like wrestling, people watch at least as often to watch some uppity Negro get clobbered.

Up to the championship fight, promoters try to get fights between members of different ethnic groups to slug it out so that people will see the match as a sort of mini race war in which they have someone to hate.

In pro wrestling, the contenders pick at the start of their careers whether they are going to be a good guy or a villain. The villains pick an identity, such as a Russian, a Muslim, an Afghan, that people will mostly despise.

Ali knew that as a boxer, attendance and receipts from his fights would be based more on how many people wanted to see him get clobbered.

Football and other team sports really does not work like this. Most people have allegiance for their home team, even though there may not be a single hometown guy in the lineup.

Maybe someone ought to try this in NASCAR. A green car with the Saudi Flag all over it with a horn that honks the Muslim call
to prayer. I know that I would not insure the driver, but maybe someone in Dubai would.

Again, I find professions of faith for victories in sports a bit silly. It is equally silly for boxers and wrestlers, of course, but at least it serves to raise the income of the contender, I doubt that it gets more people to root for Tebow's team in the same proportions
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 04:10:08 PM »
Boxing is not like football. In football, people root for one team to WIN.
In boxing, like wrestling, people watch at least as often to watch some uppity Negro get clobbered.

What the frell??  Can you get any more racist than that, Xo??

Up to the championship fight, promoters try to get fights between members of different ethnic groups to slug it out so that people will see the match as a sort of mini race war in which they have someone to hate.

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2011, 06:16:52 PM »
I am simply commenting on what fight promoters have been doing for the past 80 years or more, ever since the days of Jack Johnson. they feed on racism, I was commenting on how they and their audience perceive these fights from their prospective.

Of course, rightwingers can never put themselves in anyone elses'  shoes. I forgot that part.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 06:22:53 PM »
No, you made no reference to what promoters try to do.  You made it crystal clear its merely what people do...."In boxing, like wrestling, people watch at least as often to watch some uppity Negro get clobbered".....no reference to promotors, in any, not that it would make much of a difference either.  Boxing is just like football, though also akin to autoracing....you go to root, and ususally keep an eye out for who might get hurt.....REGARDLESS of race
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2011, 07:08:05 PM »
Boxing for the longest time didn't have anything but black heavyweights who were worth a damn. Sure you had your occasional Tommy Morrison or Randall Cobb but before the Russians got in the game there weren't a whole lot of Great White Hopes.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2011, 08:11:53 PM »
  Xo's point fits better in the movies than in real boxing.

I never did get Rocky Balboa, maybe there should be four or five more of them untill Rocky proves that geriatric inner city white guys can win boxing championships if they really really have heart.

In real boxing you have to be so skilled and tough to be the champion that color isn't going to be enough. 

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2011, 08:18:01 PM »
  I think it is totally inevitable that a Muslim with strong athletic gifts will appear in the NFL, and I wouldn't be surprised if he prayed in a Muslim manner several times per game.

It is even possible that a Shikh might star in a football team and need a giant helment to contain his hair.

I wonder if any Athiest could make it to the big show and hit home runs or kick feild goals or put a puck in a net and celebrate in a very nillist manner? 

BSB

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2011, 10:03:22 PM »
Patriots crucify Jesus, I mean Tebow, 41 to 23. Will they go to hell?

BSB

P.S. Howard Cosell tolerated Ali's Islamic antics because interviewing Ali made Cosell famous. However, even with that benefit, Cosell invariably made a caustic comment about it, such as, "ok, now that that's out of the way, can we talk now?".

Further, Ali was pre 9/11. Now we have Americans who like to talk about Islamonazies, "the religion of peace", and the like. Very different atmosphere.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2011, 10:11:13 PM »
Patriots crucify Jesus, I mean Tebow, 41 to 23. Will they go to hell?

Who?

BSB

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2011, 10:43:04 PM »
"Who?"

You know, that tean that has won 3 rings, that team that came within a minute of going 19 and 0 and a 4th ring, all in the past 10 years.

BSB   

While the storm clouds gather far across
the sea,
Let us swear allegiance to a team that's free
Let us all be grateful for a team so fair
As we raise our voices in a solemn prayer.

God bless the Patriots
Team that I love
Stand behind them and guide them
Thru the night with a light from above
From the mountains, to the prairies,
To the oceans, white with foam
God bless the Patriots, my team sweet team.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2011, 10:50:03 PM »
Why would the Patriots go to hell for winning a football game?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2011, 11:18:04 PM »
In real boxing you have to be so skilled and tough to be the champion that color isn't going to be enough. 

I agree that boxing requires a lot of stamina and toughness and training. I find it revolting to watch, unlike other sports, which only bore me. Except for curling, which  I find amusing on occasion, and shown too rarely here in Miami to bore me.

I assume that the matches they have for lighter weight fighters are typical of those in other parts of the country. They always seem to pair up a Latino and a Black, or an occasional White guy vs. a Latino or a Black guy, or at least guys of different nationalities. I suppose that is to bring more spectators.

I remember hearing dozens of bigots saying that they could not wait for someone to "murder" the draft-doging "Black sumbitch Cassius Clay or whatever his name is" when he was fighting. They were rooting for anyone that fought him, even another Black guy, which was almost always the case.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2011, 11:25:34 PM »
You know, that tean that has won 3 rings, that team that came within a minute of
going 19 and 0 and a 4th ring, all in the past 10 years.

You mean those lame ass cheating Patriots that were fined heavily and forfeited
a high draft choice for taping the sideline signals of opponents in violation of NFL rules.

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2011, 12:34:54 AM »
Ho hum.

I could care less what grown men do with a ball that can't even bounce straight.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2011, 03:16:30 AM »
"In boxing, like wrestling, people watch at least as often to watch some uppity Negro get clobbered"