Author Topic: Conservatives have it right.  (Read 3489 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Conservatives have it right.
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 01:21:01 PM »
It's dead on.  Sorry
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 02:04:44 AM »
  I agree, it is dead on.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 03:19:11 AM »
actually that kind of grading system would not be liberal, but parental. Only a parent(no matter what party) with influence would agree thier child should get thier fair share. people tend to forget thier are lot more types of group out thier then just the main two.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 03:27:49 AM »
Naa...it'd be liberal.  Person A performs x and is rewarded with y

In the college example, x is performance and educational improvement, y is the grade

In the job place, x is performance and work-related improvement, y is their salaried income

In both cases, its the reward that's being redistributed based on some notion that someone else didn't perform as well, and so they need some help.......that has to come from someone else
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 09:55:42 AM »
still not neccesarily liberal
the concept is still originally parental, but carried over to college and work place.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 10:56:49 AM »
We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one Kimba, since redistribution of wealth, in this case grades, is demonstrably liberal

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 11:01:25 AM »
fair enough

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 11:27:36 AM »
parental basically is liberal
thats what those half-wits wanna try to do
be everyone's parent or nanny
they think they know what's best
they are control freaks
the need to control everyone & be in everyone's business
from washing machines, diswashers, cars, food, light bulbs
it's a frickin mental disorder
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 11:36:01 AM »
true but the group of those parents are not always liberal.

ex. ESL tend to teach kids whose parents are highly conservative.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 11:43:58 AM »
It's not the parents redistributing the grade.  That'd be the governing body....ie the school.  But I understand the point you're trying to reach, with Cu4's additional comments

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 01:34:24 PM »
Grades in a class are not income. They should be an incentive to maximize learning and performance.

A class grade is simply the score the instructor assigns to the amount of material that he deems that the student has learned.
I used grades in this way when I was teaching. I clearly indicated that the class graded would be ¼ assignments, ¼ tests, ¼oral performance and ¼ final exam. Oral performance was based on responses to questions I asked every student in class most days. Students who were absent without a valid excuse received an F for oral performance. I allowed students to correct errors on assignments for two weeks after the assignment. I passed out a grade summary every two or three weeks. I tutored students individually or in groups during office hours. Most did not take advantage of this, but some did.
\
I did not "curve" grades, ever. After ten years teaching I know what a student could learn if they studied enough.

Grades are NOT the same as a salary. If you receive a salary from an employer, you have more money, and he has less.
If you receive a grade from a professor, it should indicate that you have learned something. The more you learn, the higher the grade. But at no time does the professor know LESS.

To a student who thinks it through, a grade is not a reward as a salary is, it is an index of how much he has learned, and an ongoing incentive to improve.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 01:55:55 PM »
no curve

then your a smart teacher.I asked the kids in my family what they think of the curve. They said it`s great because it`s super easy to get the class to agree to lower it so everybody gets a good grade without studying too much. Their are very few stereo type student not caring about the classmates and raise the curve. it actually encourages kids to not gets A`s

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 01:56:12 PM »
Grades in a class are not income.

Never said it was....its a reward for their performance....an incentive for many....as the higher GPA the better the resume' looks and job prospects get.  Simple as that.  Higher salary is the incentive to maximize one's job performance.  The higher your salary, the better your job prospects are

They should be an incentive to maximize learning and performance.

Exactly.....just as income is to the work force, its incentive to maximize one's job performance    ::)    That's why the analogy is dead on, which is why you find it ridiculous.  What teacher on earth would redistribute grades?  Yet that's exactly what folks like yourself advocate and push for....redistributing the rewards of one's hard earned performance to those who ....... didn't perform so well.  Same damn concept 

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 02:09:25 PM »
I have NEVER advocated redistributing grades, that is a blatant LIE.

My assumption is that students in my class are treated as knowing nothing of the subject.

One cannot make a similar assumption about wealth at birth.

I am for taxing the rich about 4% at most on income above $250K, and paying an inheritance tax on estates of above $5 million of perhaps 20%.

I hardly call that "income redistribution"
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2012, 02:18:38 PM »
   How is renumeration for work diffrent from assigning grades based on school performance?

I think the cash is a lot like getting graded, I never thought either one absolutly fair , nor need be.