Author Topic: Conservatives have it right.  (Read 3488 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Conservatives have it right.
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2012, 03:46:40 AM »
Grades are not the same as salaries.

For the 798th time, NEVER SAID THEY WERE     :o

If you are a bad teacher in college, you won't get tenure and will be bounced out within a couple of years.

What's that you say?...YOU'RE REWARDED IF YOUR PERFORMANCE IS DEEMED IMPROVING/GOOD??  I'M SHOCKED I TELLS YAS....SHOCKED AT THIS REVELATION
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2012, 10:59:02 PM »
In what job do you get paid more for doing a better job?

Farming.
  Singing.
   Playing gitaur.
   Making pottery.
   Translating.
   Fishing /hunting guide.
    Wait staff.
    Gold mining.
     Aircraft piloting/Navagation.
    Custom auto paint.

Most of all, Salesmen on comission.

It is my opinion that working for a smaller organisation makes it more likly that you will be payed in real accordance to performance than you would if working as a smaller part of a large organisation.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2012, 04:25:47 AM »
actaully in a large company it`s very hard to improve due to the nature of the work.
ex. copy person in a college library.

after a point those folks transfer and hope the next assignment will help them shine.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2012, 01:50:49 PM »
In any case, immediate pay for improved performance is not the usual case for most jobs, and a higher grade for better performance is the standard in any well-taught course.

Employers can be greedy with their money. Raises they do not give can mean more money for their own personal use.

Instructors have no reason to be greedy about grades. If they give the entire class an A, they will get fewer complaints than if they give everyone the same lower grade of B, C, D or F.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2012, 07:56:40 PM »
Grade inflation is not a signifigant thing?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2012, 12:19:55 AM »
Grade inflation is up to the instructor. I know of no one who got complaints with grades so long as the professor clearly explained what students would be graded on and precisely how grades would be calculated. Occasionally, I would have some student pop in and tell me that they needed an A in my course to do this or that. I would tell them to bring in all their tests and I would have them add up everything and determine four grades: class participation, assignments, tests and the final. Then add those four and divide by four.  I would ask them what did they get, and if they said 88.7, I would say that they needed an 89.5 to round up to a 90, or A.

As a rule that settled the issue. On the syllabus, I stated "I do not give 'extra credit' work." In HS, teachers would assign some report or something,and they would download stuff off the Internet and stick their name on it. That was extra credit.

I never had the grade dispute committee recommend that I ever change a grade, so they put me on the committee for eleven years.  About a quarter of the professors that had disputed grades were very vague about how students were graded. In such cases, I and a couple other professors had some stuff drawn up as recommendations. Usually they developed less subjective and vague systems.

We had a couple of professors who gave students nothing but A's and B's. No one ever complained about their grades, so we could do nothing about it.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2012, 10:21:30 AM »
  So it was part of your job to guard the real worth of your grade?

I don't say that grades are exactly like money , but that grades have a lot of value and are in some respects like money.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2012, 12:20:33 PM »
I considered that my grades should be dealt with in a logical, professional and easily comprehensible manner, that is all. I had no control over anyone else's grades and gave no advice about grades to other professors unless they asked.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2012, 11:56:20 PM »
  I don't know how much employers collude to determine the worth of man hours work.
  Perhaps a serious diffrence is that professors are not in competition for a students time and effort.