Author Topic: Afghan Shooting Suspect Evades Stock Fraud Award in Army  (Read 485 times)

BSB

Afghan Shooting Suspect Evades Stock Fraud Award in Army
« on: March 22, 2012, 01:05:22 AM »
msnbc.com staff and news service reports
10:06 PM EST March 21, 2012

Staff Sgt. Robert Bales, the U.S. soldier accused of killing 16 civilians in Afghanistan, left for war without paying his part of a $1.5 million judgment for defrauding an elderly client in a stock scheme, and remains shielded from the obligation as long as he remains in the military, legal experts said.

http://news.mobile.msn.com/en-us/articles.aspx?afid=1&aid=46815403

BSB

Re: Afghan Shooting Suspect Evades Stock Fraud Award in Army
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 01:12:07 AM »
Execute the sumna bitch.

BSB

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 01:13:27 AM »
   When I was enlisted , the Navy was prone to assist my creditors to collect legitamate debt.

Has this changed?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 02:02:11 AM »
A few of those whom the Act is intended to protect will abuse its purpose.  For instance, the Act "may not be employed to enable one who had flouted his obligations in civilian life to obtain indefinite delay."  The Act itself has provided for abuses by not granting protection in those actions in which an "interest, property, or contract" has been transferred merely to take advantage of the Act.  Other cases, however, have indicated the Act is also designed to protect rights of individuals having causes of action against persons in the military service.                 

While the Act is intended to provide civil remedies, Congress has reinforced the spirit of Section 100 by imposing criminal penalties when failure to comply would thwart equitable civil relief

On the other hand, the Act is not a panacea for every legal problem of a civil nature facing the service member.  It will not, for instance, help rescind a rental agreement or a contract for the purchase of an automobile or a set of encyclopedias entered into after entry onto active duty.  There are a myriad of situations in which the Act will not apply.

That was an interesting find BT.
    Generally I like the SSCRA , its intent is to prevent soldiers and sailors from being cheated of their homes and earnings while they are performing their duty.
      It can't be intended to assist in commission of fraud.

It might be nice to think of Seargent Bales as a cheat as well as a murderer, but the odor of these heinous acts will not be diminished by the finding of other wrongs. Our people generally have him as an albatross  to wear. If there were warning signs that the Army should have been able to spot about the caricter of this guy , that improves nothing.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 02:05:48 PM »
What I read was that he was an immensely successful financial adviser who was inspired by patriotism to join the Army. It said nothing about his being suspected of fraud. But perhaps this is a recent discovery. Clearly, he cannot be sued or convicted of fraud until the shooting spree case has been settled. If he is sentenced to life (most likely in my opinion) or executed, the fraud charge won't amount to much. You cannot collect from a penniless inmate.

Is there a connection from a fraudster and a murderous psychopath? I don't know. I can't see Bernie Madoff machine gunning women and children, but then again, this guy is not Bernie Madoff.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BSB

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 12:14:57 AM »
"I can't see Bernie Madoff machine gunning women and children,........."

As far as I know there's nothing available to use to charge Madoff with murder. But he has blood on his hands, and lots of it.

BSB

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 01:22:45 AM »
Only figuratively. Bernie Madoff was a scumbag. Several of his victims committed suicide. He deserves what he got, and perhaps more. But I don't think he'd shoot anyone.

The truth is that all he had to do was to flee to Brazil or some country with no extradition agreement. Robert Vesco went to Costa Rica and then to Cuba. I am glad he didn't, and got his due, but I just donlt see him machine gunning women and children, or anyone.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."