Author Topic: Libby: White House wanted to sacrifice him for Rove  (Read 4523 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Libby: White House wanted to sacrifice him for Rove
« on: January 23, 2007, 04:39:26 PM »
Tuesday, January 23, 2007

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald described for jurors Tuesday a Bush administration effort to beat back early criticism of the Iraq war and accused former White House aide "Scooter" Libby of covering up his role in the probe of the leak of a CIA operative's identity.

I. Lewis Libby's attorney countered by painting a different White House plot, alleging that administration officials sought to blame Libby for the leak to protect Bush political adviser Karl Rove's own disclosures.

"They're trying to set me up. They want me to be the sacrificial lamb," attorney Theodore Wells said, recalling a conversation between Libby and his boss, Vice President Dick Cheney, as the leak investigation heated up in 2003. "I will not be sacrificed so Karl Rove can be protected."

As the trial opened with a preview of each side's position, it was clear that the jury will be tasked with sorting through conflicting statements in a high-profile case that has opened a very public window on the behind-the-scenes Washington practice of leaking sensitive information to the news media.

Full story

Article
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Libby: White House wanted to sacrifice him for Rove
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 04:50:20 PM »
But, but, but!  He didn't out anyone!!!  Plame wasn't covert!@!!  Remember what sirs said????

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 04:53:16 PM »
But, but, but!  He didn't out anyone!!!  Plame wasn't covert!@!!  Remember what sirs said????

Article doesn't say she was covert.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 05:19:14 PM »

Where in the article does it reference Plame as "covert" or even "undercover"?  Do show us, please, as Fitzgerald seems to have missed that designation
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 05:23:03 PM »
It doesn't but your OpinionJournal article did.

Remember?

Here, I'll post the sentence again.

A CIA panel has told former officer Valerie Plame she can't write about her undercover work for the agency, a position that may threaten a lucrative book project with her publisher. . . .

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 05:37:06 PM »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 05:38:47 PM »
A CIA panel has told former officer Valerie Plame she can't write about her undercover work for the agency, a position that may threaten a lucrative book project with her publisher. . . .

You act like this is some earthshattering pronouncement. The question isn't whether Plame was ever undercover or covert which i believe have two different meanings but whether her absence from the field for 5 years meant that she was no longer covered by the law in question0n.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 06:20:19 PM »
It doesn't...

That's what I thought
You're still on the hook.  It was NEVER my contention that Ami's article stated that Plame was covert.  I never once stated that.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 06:24:12 PM »
It was NEVER my contention that Ami's article stated that Plame was covert.  I never once stated that.

Good, so then until Fitzgerald makes that an official position, I'm really not sure what all your squalking is about.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 06:34:27 PM »
I was sqawking about how you contend that Plame was not covert but your precious OJ article clearly stated that she was.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 06:44:14 PM »
I was sqawking about how you contend that Plame was not covert but your precious OJ article clearly stated that she was.

And just as clearly you're still not reading for comprehension, in how it was used in the article.  Get back to me when Fitz has read it to clear up his apparent lack of investigative ability

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 06:57:40 PM »
Context, spin, strawmen, spin, bait and switch.

In the end, I'm still wanting to know why your OJ article says that the CIA said Plame couldn't write about her activities as an undercover agent and you still contend that she wasn't undecover.

I mean, we KNOW it's because, in your fragile mind, you can't be seen as believing that Plame was covert and therefore the Bush "administration" outted her but I just want you to admit it.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 07:37:19 PM »
I mean, we KNOW it's because, in your fragile mind, you can't be seen as believing that Plame was covert and therefore the Bush "administration" outted her but I just want you to admit it.

Still having problems with timelines, i see.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 07:43:16 PM »
yada....rant....blather

And in the end, I'm still waiting to see WHAT CRIME WAS SUPPOSEDLY COMMITTED, and WHEN IS FITZGERALD GONNA CLASSIFY PLAME AS COVERT IN ORDER TO JUSTIFY A CRIME?

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 08:15:49 PM »
Perjury IS a crime.  Remember?
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.