Author Topic: Texas Hit 104 Degrees Yesterday  (Read 2252 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Texas Hit 104 Degrees Yesterday
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2012, 11:26:08 AM »
I am assuming that Job was an innocent and upstanding man. Of course, it is entirely possible that one of his wives was young enough to make him a child molester, which is what they say about Mohammed. But fr his times, he was 100% mensch, and he was tormented for no reason at all. So I don't see any reason not to sympathize with him.

If you recall, Job's friends all gave Job similar advice and comments and Job rejected them all.

The writer of the Book of Job wanted to convey the idea that no matter how much Jehovah seems to be a first-class prick and sadist, the faithful should continue believing.... and continuing to bring sacrifices to the Temple. Priests need that protein in their diet: with no priests, the People and no longer "the People".

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Texas Hit 104 Degrees Yesterday
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2012, 10:20:32 PM »
   I note that Jobs " friends " all had the opinion that bad things don't happen to nice people, so as they comforted Job they urged him to confess the sin that must be the root cause of so much misery. In the end this attitude gets rebuked.

I think that one of the most important themes in Job is that bad things do happen to the rightious, the lucky should not accept their luck as proof of rightiousness and no one should have contempt for the downtrodden and unlucky.