Author Topic: Lets talk stand your ground  (Read 613 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Lets talk stand your ground
« on: April 28, 2012, 12:52:10 PM »
The part i don't like (unless i read it wrong) you can shoot the person fleeing and it still be called self defense. That was brought up ob that very poplar case. The law varies from state to state.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Lets talk stand your ground
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 01:13:41 PM »
In principle its a very important and needed law.  I've heard too many horrible attempts by criminals and their families attempting to sue the victim, because they dared to defend themselves, injuring, if not killing the criminal

However, it should have specific parameters, which also means if one isn't functioning within those parameters, stand your ground is void.  For instance, if its factually demonstrated that person A knowingly followed person B, and then there was a confrontation, I don't see person A being able to use a stand your ground defense

Just my 2 cents
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 01:20:30 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 01:35:36 PM »
sounds fair to me

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 10:07:25 PM »
The part i don't like (unless i read it wrong) you can shoot the person fleeing and it still be called self defense. That was brought up ob that very poplar case. The law varies from state to state.

I can't imagine this making it through the legislature anywhere.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 02:18:58 PM »
There was a case where Greyston Garcia caught Pedro Roteta stealing his car radio. He chased him down, and after Roteta swung a bag of stolen radios at him, stabbed and killed him. Garcia then sold the stolen radios than were not his, but he got off because of the stand your ground law.

http://peoplesworld.org/stand-your-ground-self-protection-or-vigilante-justice/

I think both parties were both Black as well as Hispanic.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 06:14:03 PM »
http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2012/03/28/in-another-florida-stand-your-ground-case-fatal-stabbing-is-ruled-as-justified/

Wow.

I disagree with this,one more step and the police will not have the authority to arrest anyone at all if they say the words "self defense". Was the judge really interpreting the intent of the law aright?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 11:47:12 PM »
I do not know whether the judge was interpreting the law adequately.

I do not agree with the premise that stealing radios merits the death penalty. If someone came at me with a knife, and I had a bag of radios in my hand, I am pretty sure that if I could not run away, I would at least swing the bag of radios at the guy with the knife.

The guy with the knife was not really standing his ground. Had the thief swung the bag of radios at him when he first came to his car and saw the guy stealing his radio, he would have clearly been standing his ground, defending his car and radio. but the guy with the knife chased the thief, and when he came at the thief, then the thief was standing HIS ground.

If not for the stupid stand your ground law, BOTH of these guys could have been charged. The guy with the knife sold the radios, after all. That is selling stolen property as I see it. He should have turned the stolen radios over to the police.

You could kill someone with a bag of car radios, I think. And it was self-defense when he swung the bag of radios, so I can see the point of saying that the thief was acting in self-defense.

On the other hand, I am sure that I would not be out robbing radios, either.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."