Author Topic: Looks like even Russia is bailing on Assad!  (Read 912 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Looks like even Russia is bailing on Assad!
« on: May 29, 2012, 05:20:21 PM »
Russian arms ship turned away from Syria.
President Putin's first misstep

DEBKAfile Exclusive Report

May 29, 2012, 11:05 AM (GMT+02:00)

Russian arms ship in suspense

Incoming Russian President Vladimir Putin, after taking stock of his first days of his third presidency, concluded that Moscow's handling of the al-Houla massacre and Syria's ongoing collapse into civil war will go down as a Russian foreign policy failure. He personally comes out of the policy as the patron of a bloodthirsty tyrant.

The Kremlin first tried presenting the slaughter of 108 people Friday and Saturday, among them 49 children and 34 women, as the work of unknown non-military bands, partly corroborating the Assad regime's claim of terrorism.

This line was quickly abandoned and Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov was told Monday, May 28, to assign responsibility to "two sides" at his joint news conference in Moscow with British Foreign Secretary William Hague.

But the information coming out of the Houla disaster area knocked that line on the head too: It turned out that the massacre was perpetrated by the town's Alawites. Their victims were taken unprepared for their neighbors' attacks, unlike the Sunni Muslims of Homs, Hama and Idlib and similarly mixed community towns, and mercilessly slaughtered in their homes by rampaging Alawites wielding knives, shot guns and pistols.

Syria has thousands of small and large mixed towns and villages divided by barricades manned by local militias, some for and some against Assad. The Houla massacre is therefore apt to be repeated across the country, plunging it into a full-blown civil and sectarian bloodbath.

Moscow is beginning to fear that Russia may be stigmatized as an accessory to this horror - and especially the foreign policy choices made by the new president.

Lavrov tried to save his government's reputation by declaring out of the blue that Moscow no longer backs Bashar Assad and his regime and fully endorses the UN envoy Kofi Annan's mission.

Annan was back in Damascus Tuesday holding talks with the Syrian ruler. It his hard to see how he can salvage even a vestige of his mission when the Syrian ruler has broken every commitment he made from the word go a month ago.

The other step decided by the Kremlin was to quietly order the Russian arms ship Professor Katsman to stop unloading its cargo at the Syrian port of Tartus, sail west and wait for fresh orders after the furor dies down. President Putin is clearly floundering before deciding on his next steps with regard to Syria and calculating to the last figure the cost of supplying the world's most hated despot with arms and spreading a diplomatic net under his feet.

http://www.debka.com/article/22038/Russian-arms-ship-turned-away-from-Syria-President-Putin?s-first-misstep-
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 05:30:50 PM by Christians4LessGvt »
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Looks like even Russia is bailing on Assad!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 05:29:02 PM »
The misstep would be to have supported Assad in the first place.

Assad is toast. He's going down.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 05:36:06 PM »
Assad was an idiot to get too close to the Iranians....
The Saudi's had enough.
Kicking his ass out on the street.
Word to the wise....stay close to the Saudi's....they are usually correct.
about international politics that is
hell i wish King Abdullah was our President instead of who we gots!

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 07:03:08 PM »

hell i wish King Abdullah was our President instead of who we gots!

He was not born in Hawaii

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 08:12:39 PM »
I hardly think that anyone in this country would wish to be ruled by an authoritarian with nutty religious ideas like Abdullah. I am sure that you would not approve of his position on Israel, either.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 12:33:15 PM »
I hardly think that anyone in this country would wish to be ruled by an authoritarian with nutty religious ideas like Abdullah. I am sure that you would not approve of his position on Israel, either.

We have had worse presidents.

I think we can have an incompetant or even malicious presedent now and then , so long as we survive long enough to replace them with better.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 01:26:28 PM »
I am sure that you would not approve of his position on Israel, either.

I am sure I would not agree with any President I
supported on 100% of the issues and neither would you.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 01:53:24 PM »
We have never had a president as ghastly awful as any of the Sauds. The Sauds are not just the RULERS of the country, they are the OWNERS of it and its resources as well. The press and the media is censored, religion is tightly restricted, both men and women are fined for violations of dress codes and beard codes and all manner of crap. Alcohol is treated as drugs are in the US.

Women are forbidden to drive or even to leave home unchaperoned.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 01:14:11 PM »
  The Saudis have an admirable welfare state, education is free and widely availible , literacy has risen a lot in the last fifty years.

They are not bad when compared with other monarchs.

I do prefer term limited government tho, with a constitution and elections, we may have a lot of problems with our system but I am quite used to these problems and would not like to trade for the problems one gets with a tyrant.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 02:48:04 PM »
Strange that you consider the Saudi welfare state to be "admirable" where all aspects of the US welfare steps are considered to be evil by "conservatives".

Saudis generally get do nothing government jobs, and most of the actual work is done by various nationalities of imported workers. I had a Saudi student years ago that told me that all he had to do was complete his degree and he would get a $50K job with the government that would take only three hours a day, five days a week of his time, which he planned to dedicate to starting a fast food business.

As for the Russians, they are backing Assad because they need contacts in the Middle East, and the Iranians, being religious fanatics that have tended to support Muslim minorities in the Russian Federation like the South Ossetians and the Chechens, prefer a friendly government in Syria, which is sectarian.

No one has any idea of what sort of government might arise in Syria after Assad was chased out. It is unlikely that any group would have a real majority. Syria is divided by religion and geography, rather like Lebanon and Iraq.

The Chinese don't care so much, because Syria does not have anything that China needs.

Assad believes that he can use severe oppression to stay in power. It worked for his father, but that was in the days before cellphones, Twitter and Facebook. I would say that there is a chance that he MIGHT stay in power. It seems to be dwindling, but I do not know how much of the information we are getting is accurate.

Syria needs a unified opposition, but that seems unlikely