Author Topic: Question(s) & Observations from the R side of the aisle  (Read 4286 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Question(s) & Observations from the R side of the aisle
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2007, 05:31:37 PM »
Well, Sirs, it is simply noy clear to me that WMDs were even in Iraq.

And with all due respect Professor, that does sound a bit like monday morning QB'ing.  I'm still surprised that so many are so quick to forget the circumstances at the time Bush made his decisions.  Yes, we might have learned the detail of Saddam's WMD if we had waited another 12years Saddam leading inspectors all over his country.  The problem is 911.  After 911, we no longer had that luxury to just sit on our hands and pray to god none of his WMD got in the hands of terrorists, who killed over 3000 with simple boxcutters.  AT THE TIME, it was globally believed that Saddam DID have his stockpiles.  It was an overwhelming concensus, MUCH greater than that that tells us Global warming exists, and is caused by man.  AT THE TIME, Saddam did have both direct and indirect ties with terrorists, including those of AlQeada.  No it wasn't a working relationship, and no one is argueing that.  There were ties, there was the potential of his WMD getting sold to folks like alQeada, and following 911, we couldn;'t take that chance.  At least in Bush's judgement, which I fully supported.

How we've come to learn that his stockpiles are either no more, or have been moved, is pretty much due to our current military intervention. but AT THE TIME, both concensus and common sense concluded that he did have them

And, even if they were, how does that potentially link them to any event in the U.S.?

Asked and answered already.  It never was, as Tee kept trying to rant on, Bush argueing Saddam's imminent use of them on the U.S., and everything to do with the potential of them (WMD that could easily be hid in a large suitcase, or even large backpack) being sold to terrorists, who wouldn't blink twice in detonating them here in the U.S.  That's how

As far as finding terroist camps, that is why you have covert ops. If your policy is to eliminate or mitigate the WMD danger, thne od it voa covert ops, not overt warfare.

I have no problem with both....going after hidden camps as well as going after a potential source of WMD that said terrorists would salivate in getting their hands on.  Saddam could have prevented all of this, had he fully complied with UN resolutions, especially 1441.  Had he, the U.S would have had no legitimate justification for their actions, outside of a WMD being used and traced back to Iraq.  Saddam chose otherwise, and for those who'd argue that Bush would have gone in anyway, has no foundation to make such a claim, outside of irrational rationalizations and hatred of the man Bush.

Plus, the decision-making in this arena is suspect to me. WMDs are probably in many ptoher countires and yet we do not invade them.??? Interesting, huh?

Not really.  Other countries weren't in overt non-compliance of UN resolutions, nor had the same connections with terrorists that Iraq had.  Given that combination, incl the WMD nearly everyone assumed Saddam still had, not surprising at all

Look, I'm not saying Saddam didn't deserve to roast in Hell. But, the way we went about it bothers me. Hey, we took Saddam out but couldn't even get Bin Laden. Pretty sad, I would say.

I agree not having gotten Usama yet is a major thorn.  I too wish more resources were allocated to that endeavor.  What's that old saying...."you can't have everything.  Where would you put it?"

Sirs said: "If they are so dead set against Bush's "surge plan" why do they not pull the purse for that plan?? "

Well, they are not really in a commanding position. Sure, they havethe numbers in the Senate, but not in the House. Plus, there are more conservative Dems like Shuler than nthere are liberal Republicans like Olympia Snowe.  Also, they have to tread carefully when troops are involved as much of their support is still conservative. As an example, the Dems around here are pretty conservative and so the Pelosi crowd really does not have as much latitude as might be imagined.

Kinda negates the whole notion that they won their election by way of the electorate wanting change then.  Apparently they don't want change as much as they want more discord & incivility
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 12:39:52 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2007, 09:03:59 PM »
There is the teensiest chance that the surge might work. If it is left to happen, then not only is Juniorbush destroyed and discredited forever, as he most certainly deserves, but John McCain will also go down with him.

One Vietnam was obviously not enough for a certain kind of imperialistic militarist that we have been cursed with in this country. So a second has occurred.

As the waves close in around the eyebrows of Juniorbush as he plunges toward the bottom, there is a greater chance that there will not be a threepeat of Imperialistic militarism.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 10:20:56 PM »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2007, 12:26:22 AM »

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2007, 04:09:13 AM »

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2007, 05:19:59 PM »

I find this last cartoon very upsetting.  It is EXACTLY how I view the "war".

Bush is feeding troops into a meat grinder and the onlyones who can stop him WON'T stop him.  One a vicious, murderous tyrant, the others, cowards of the highest order.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2007, 05:44:22 PM »
I find this last cartoon very upsetting.  It is EXACTLY how I view the "war".

I'm sure you do

Bush is feeding troops into a meat grinder and the onlyones who can stop him WON'T stop him.  One a vicious, murderous tyrant, the others, cowards of the highest order.

Kinda my whole point when I started this thread.  Tells us alot about the convictions & principles of DC dems.  That or else their rhetorical condemnations are actually hollow, and without merit.  Will let the audience be the judges

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2007, 04:48:33 AM »