Author Topic: "America is today's California"  (Read 2768 times)

MissusDe

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"America is today's California"
« on: August 25, 2012, 09:16:36 PM »
This was in our little neighborhood newspaper, in the Editor's Notes section by Mike Dobbins.

This was part of Sarah Palin's congratulatory letter to Romney for picking Paul Ryan, his running mate. I have very mixed emotions on that - but that's not the issue here.

Regardless of how you perceive Sarah, the section herewith reflects exactly how I feel about this great state of which I'm proud to be a native-son.

"When I think about the direction our country is rapidly drifting in, I can't help but look at California as a cautionary tale.

The Golden State once boasted the entrepreneurial innovation of Silicon Valley, the American creative engine of the arts, economically powerful and beautiful cities from San Francisco to San Diego, and fertile farmlands that helped feed the nation.

Now it is descending into financial ruin accompanied by an exodus of middle class Californians leaving for other states.

As one writer put it, California's 'fastest-growing entity is government and its biggest prodct is red tape...'

"...(The) rest of the country (will soon) look like California, minus the beautiful scenery and warm weather ... America is today's California - complete with $100 billion taxpayer funded bullet trains to nowhere; out of control environmental extremists who have destroyed family farms and left some of the most fertile farm land in America fallow in order to protect a three inch fish; permanent high unemployment; government policies hostile to small business job creators; crippling high taxes; an abysmal real estate market; bloated government that wastes taxpayer money; endless budget shortfalls due to massive unfunded liabilities; city after city declaring bankruptcy; and a state government run by, in the words of one Wall Street Journal writer, 'a brothel of environmentalists, lawyers, public-sector unions and legislative bums.'

Ouch. But unfortunately, it's all too true - and painful to witness for those of us who remember when California truly was the Golden State.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: "America is today's California"
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 12:59:31 PM »
Yeah, let us know when California is vying for last place with Mississippi, Louisiana and West Virginia.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 02:34:07 PM »
Yeah, let us know when California is vying for last place with Mississippi, Louisiana and West Virginia.

California may never again have as good a credit rating as Mississippi.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 07:18:03 PM »
When the standard of living in California is worse than that of Mississippi, that would be the deciding factor. The state's credit rating has little to do with livability.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 08:42:47 PM »
When the standard of living in California is worse than that of Mississippi, that would be the deciding factor. The state's credit rating has little to do with livability.

I am glad we are here comparing two places I have actually been.

I think that a guy with my income could afford a pretty good house anywhere in Mississippi, but in California I would have to settle for less.

Now if Californias generosity to non tax payers and greed when dealing with taxpayers has damaged their economy, imagine what such libertine policys would do to a state with smaller resorces like Mississippi?

Suppose you wanted a ship built?

Would you want to build in California ? Perhaps you would , but what if for the same price you could build two ships in Mississippi? or three in Hong Kong?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 01:40:02 AM »
The per capita income in California is far greater than that of Mississippi. Real estate is overpriced everywhere, but it reflects the per capita income. If you buy a house in California, you will buy it with a California salary.

Of all the things I might want to do with my money, building a ship is less likely than anything I can think of.

Mississippi has a much less pleasant climate than many places in California. There are no mountains to go to when it is hot, the coast has few decent beaches, and there are hurricanes.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 02:30:16 AM »
and yet ...

When it comes to being close to bankrupcy California leads us all

....even Mississippi.

I have been to Mississippi, and I have been to California.

I know they are both beautiful, but not equally blessed with good government.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 02:46:08 AM »
From one Californian to another, hear hear Miss De.  Great article, and thanks for sharing it
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle