Author Topic: I am impressed with this comic.  (Read 7126 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: I am impressed with this comic.
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 02:43:13 PM »
Because, duh, an egg is not a chicken. Anyone can tell the difference. The lack of limbs and mobility is a dead giveaway.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 02:13:05 AM »
A fried chicken is chicken.

An egg is a chicken if it is a chicken egg.

A turtle egg is a turtle, that is the only way they start.

Flys are even worse , they not only lay eggs , they have larval and pupal stages before they fledge out as flies , but each one necessacerily goes through each life stage in turn each one is the same creature it began as even though diffrent in size and shape.

Your point will be taken as true , then I guess bald people are not persons either, baldness is a distinctive diffrence . People who do not speak a language I understand or wear strange colored skin have distinctive diffrences too.

I don't guess you could tell a chicken that her eggs are not chickens , they are smarter than that.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 08:51:08 AM »
An egg is not a chicken. Rant all you want. That will never make it so.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 12:48:54 PM »
An egg is not a chicken. Rant all you want. That will never make it so.

What ever made it not so?
The egg becomes the chick which becomes the chicken, not with sudden transformations , but as a process that continues seamlessly from conception to death.
The egg is not in any fundamental way not a chicken.

I think it unfair for you to caricterise these last few posts in this thread as "rant" I am merely pointing out that your assertion that an egg is not a chicken is a logic free opinion that you keep for its convienience.

If someone were to assert that a teacher is not a person I expect that you would endevor to prove that having distinction from most does not really constitute seaparation from the type.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 03:47:08 PM »
The egg is not in any fundamental way not a chicken.

=====================================
Try this: buy a dozen eggs and set them on your counter for a month and watch to see how many become mobile.

The assumption is that God wants every egg to become a functioning living being. Observation of most species reveal that this tends not to happen. A turtle lays 30 eggs and after a month, if there are even TWO baby turtles left alive, it is a lot. Fish and amphibians lay THOUSANDS of eggs. Many never hatch. Most are eaten. Most of the juveniles are eaten within hours of hatching. That is God's Plan.

A teacher is, of course, a person, but a person who is not a teacher is only POTENTIALLY a teacher.

An egg is POTENTIALLY and occasionally a chicken. It is also potentially part of a well-balanced breakfast.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 04:46:20 PM »
I havn't bought a live chicken or a live egg in quite a while.

All the chickens I bring home seem to wait quietly to be fried .

Live eggs on the other hand are cared for by their mother and acheive the motile form pretty soon if kept warm.

Within the shell , just before hatching is a chick, even though it doesn't look like a bird right then .

I don't see you refuteing the idea that an immature chicken is also a chicken , even if the size and shape are diffrent.

I do see you dragging Gods will into the argumnent , I don't know why you do that.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 12:42:47 AM »
I do see you dragging Gods will into the argumnent , I don't know why you do that.

===========================
Because morality either originates with God or is determined by humans based on what makes logical sense. It makes logical sense to allow a woman to decide whether to bear a child or not.

On the other hand, of morality comes from God, then we need to observe what God's will is from his creation.

I say that either way, leaving the matter up to the woman makes the most sense. It is not society's business, unless society is responsible for rearing all children, and that is obviously NOT the case.

BSB/Hero/Genius/MovieStar

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2012, 02:18:45 PM »
In Zen Buddhism there's a saying. "Wood is wood, ash is ash." In other words when you put a piece of wood into the fireplace, it's wood. After you burn it, it's ash. It doesn't matter what the ash was, it's ash at that point. That's what you're dealing with, ash.

When a women decides to have an abortion she isn't aborting a living human. She's aborting a fetus.  A fetus is a fetus, a living human is a living human.

Deal with what is, not what was or might be.

BSB

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2012, 03:23:47 PM »
I agree with this. A fetus a POTENTIAL human being.

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2012, 04:02:01 PM »
"Firewood becomes ash. Ash cannot turn back into firewood again. However, we should not view ash as after and firewood as before. We should know that firewood dwells in the dharma position of firewood and it has its own before and after. Although there is before and after, past and future are cut off. Ash stays at the position of ash and it has its own before and after. .............................Life is a position at one time; death is also a position at one time. "  Dozen

I whish more people understood things in this way. There would be a lot less suffering in the world if they did.

BSB

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2012, 06:30:31 PM »
Ash is a few ingredients of wood , seaprated from the volitile ingredients by heat.

In this case a living thing has died and been decomposed.

In the conversion of a Fetus to an abortion a livins thing is what you start with, and a dead thing is what you end up with , comparing the fetus to ash is putting this process in reverse order.

In the case of a fetus vs ash, there is not much simularity, there is no missing element, all of the ingredients that compose a person are there.

It is convienient to maintain the fiction that a fetus is an unliving unfeeling thing , but as a matter of science this seems to be a error that we believe just to make out lives easyer.

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2012, 12:54:53 AM »
How obtuse.

BSB

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2012, 01:21:46 AM »
What is wrong with making our lives easier?

If you want a harder life, go beat your dirty clothes on a rock in the river.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2012, 07:02:36 PM »
An unexamined life is not worth living.

http://www.consciousearth.us/socrates-unexamined-life.html

It is hard to do without an outside POV now and then.

So how exactly is a fetus alike to ash?

Wouldn't the killed fetus be more alike to the ash?

How is an egg unlike to a chicken?

Are there really any Chickens that were never eggs? Chicken is a lifestage , as is chick,as is egg, of a creature.

If I make my life ea easy as it can possibly be made , not counting the cost to others , would I qualify as a psycopath?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2012, 08:32:24 PM »

If I make my life ea easy as it can possibly be made , not counting the cost to others , would I qualify as a psycopath?

==================
Are you actually saying that allowing some women you have never met and will never meet to decide to bear a child or not, rather than YOU deciding it, would make you a psychopath?

I suggest that is truly stupid.

If you cannot tell the difference between a chicken and an egg, you might be seriously deranged, however.