Author Topic: I am impressed with this comic.  (Read 7125 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: I am impressed with this comic.
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2012, 10:02:31 PM »
I can tell the diffrence between a chicken and a person, which is much more pertanant.

If spotting an essential diffrence from myself gives me license to dehumanise, who can I not kill?

Only people who are enough like me to have family resemblence?

I cannot accept as a fact that an egg is an essentially diffrent creature than the chicken within it or the chicken it will later be , it seems that it is essentially one creature and not two diffrent things at all.

I cannot accedpt the argument that wood is just potential ash or because it caqn become ash it is worth no more than ash, the transition is an important event to the nature of the wood and the ash.

Ash is alike to the corpse I will someday be , a fetus is more alike to me.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2012, 11:15:48 PM »
You have a right to believe whatever you wish.

But you do not have a right to impose your views on others.

Let others figure out what to do with their own lives.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2012, 12:12:40 AM »
You have a right to believe whatever you wish.

But you do not have a right to impose your views on others.

Let others figure out what to do with their own lives.

I can't believe I have a right to kill you do I?

If my life was made a lot easyer by killing someone , this would not be an unusual situation , but the right to kill should have severe restriction and require justifacation.

If I was killing someone that you did not know , you might try to talk me out of it , and would it be appropriate for me to say "mind your own business"?

You are not trying to say that a very close relationship bestows a right to kill are you?

Not anyone eleses business who gets killed?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2012, 01:14:40 PM »
I am not a fetus.

Your arguments are spurious.

A fetus is not a human being, and that is all that there is to it.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2012, 02:24:49 PM »
I am not a fetus.

Your arguments are spurious.

A fetus is not a human being, and that is all that there is to it.

Neither you nor I can exist without being a fetus first.
It is a description of a life stage , not a diffrent sort of creature, not even a diffrent individual.
No human being can avoid being a fetus and that is all there is to it.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2012, 06:04:42 PM »
Ask me if I give a shit about that.

A woman's choice trumps any fetus or group of fetuses within her. The fate of the fetus should be with the woman who will bear the child.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2012, 06:31:43 PM »
Ask me if I give a shit about that.

A woman's choice trumps any fetus or group of fetuses within her. The fate of the fetus should be with the woman who will bear the child.

This is a good encapsulation of how abortion harms all of us including those not directly involved at all.
We are all becoming hardened,  accustomed to not giving a shit about the death of human beings.

BSB/Hero/Genius/MovieStar

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2012, 04:18:00 AM »
Funny how differently different people, cultures, philosophy's, religions, see things. Time appears like a continuum to some. You start at A and proceed to B, then C, etc., until the end.  Even the "end" isn't the end to many. The continuum continues on to some sort of afterlife. The possible enjoyment,  or lack there of, of this "after"life is determined by how you traveled the first stretch of the continuum. The first stretch being "life" itself. Life than afterlife. A very strange set of concepts from where I stand. 

The Buddhist's state of mind called nirvana appears like a part of a continuum to those who think that way. It isn't though. It's life seen in a different way. There's no time or space involved.  We don't really understand time yet. We seem to experience it but that's an illusion. I suspect the mind is set up to see things in a certain way strictly for the purpose of our survival and doesn't grasp the reality of experience at all.  All you have to do is trace the history of human thought to see that it's really a history of illusions.

I've given up trying to share a different view with most people. It's a waste of time. When you find someone who's open to it though it's very rewarding. Unfortunately there's very little reward left here at 3DHS.

BSB
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 04:24:03 AM by BSB/Hero/Genius/MovieStar »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2012, 07:27:26 AM »
  I think Socraties would love the internet, and I think he would spend a lot of time communicating with people who disagreed with him.

Earlyer you shared the anchient observation that ash does not become wood.

To me this is a truth that required scientific type perception.

What we call the laws of thermodynamics makes the same observation , and the modern name for it is enthropy.

It was the truth before it was observed , but what was required of the observer to perceive it?

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2012, 10:59:03 AM »
Dozen's point is not a scientific one really.  The point is that each moment has it's own characteristics. While it's connected to the past and the future, it has its own singularity. 

A fetus is at a position of its own. While that position is connected directionally to prior and future positions, it is in its own position. An abortion takes place during that certain position along the human continuum and cannot be compared to what occurs at a future time when a human is at a different position.

BSB

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2012, 12:45:08 PM »
Let's look foward to a defense attorney trying to push that bit of psychobabble, deep philosophical/metaphysical content, when his client is being prosecuted for 2 murders, in the death of a pregnant woman.  Interesting that it hasn't been tried yet....at least not that I've read.  Perhaps Bsb can produce some examples of such
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 02:18:23 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2012, 01:33:03 PM »
If I was killing someone that you did not know , you might try to talk me out of it , and would it be appropriate for me to say "mind your own business"?

Answering Those Who Are Only "Personally Pro-Life" - Quick Thought
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2012, 02:30:32 PM »
Let's just let a woman decide for herself. Let those who are so sure that abortion is murder convince pregnant women, adopt their children and stop trying to get the government involved.

No reason why a woman cannot decide for herself. No reason to allow people she does not know try to jail her for not agreeing with her right to run her own life.

I don't bother to watch propaganda videos.

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2012, 02:50:50 PM »
Dozen won the debate. Abortion is legal.  ;D

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2012, 02:52:01 PM »
Who said it wasn't??     :o
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle