Author Topic: BDS?.....check out Buffettitis  (Read 9556 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: BDS?.....check out Buffettitis
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 04:24:50 AM »
Really?

Yea, really

Is Buffett running for president, sirs?

And that has what to do with his current line of hypocrisy, xo?

I give him a pass only on his statement that (1) he thinks that fatcats like himself should pay more in taxes,

Which no one is stopping him from doing, yet he manages to pay as little as he can, using current tax law

and (2) that he won the "ovarian lottery"

That you hypocritically savage "rich" conservatives for, who are no different, except they don't have a (D) after their name

and that he is a far more successful investor than the average investor.

Once again, arguing a point never made or in dispute    ::)

I also note that Buffett was never in the habit of practicing vulture capitalism and has not been noted for buying companies, taking them over, paying himself huge bonuses and selling off the peaces, throwing employees out of work. Nor does he have a lot of investments in the Cayman Islands.

Irelevant to the issue at hand.  If you want to try and bash Romney, by all means, start a new thread

Geico advertises in nearly every magazine that I subscribe to, as well as the Miami Herald. GEICO advertises on most TV networks.  I had my auto insurance with them for 20 years or so, until I found that now that I am retired and drive less, it saves me money to buy it from another carrier, without a cute spokeslizard. It is probably true that Federal employees have a lower accident rate than the average for the nation, just as it is true that TIAA-CREF has much lower rates because they specialize in university, private school and medical employees,who are apparently a better risk.

And what does ANY of that have to do with the issue that Buffet talks the talk, but doesn't walk the walk??
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 09:38:15 AM »
He doesn't obey what he, in your image of what he should be, is.

I don't think Buffett is in any way hypocritical in terms of how he defines his role.

Of course, he does not agree with you, and people seem to respect him, perhaps even more than the respect YOU, humbly lowercase s sirs.

Shame on him! Let's raise his taxes and teach him a lesson that will make zero difference to him.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 12:32:08 PM »
I like the Ovarian lottery idea.

All of us here are winners .

Starting as a human egg , we beat the odds in that hundreds of eggs never get the oppurtunity to acheive fertilisation in every potential mother only a few.

And the odds are worse by three orders of magnitude for the sperm of whom there can be only one every potential human father wastes billions of them for each swimmer that succeeds.

Then after that astronomicaly unlikly event the fertilised egg has to implant , where the odds are nearly even for any particular zygote will not.

After all that good luck , the fortune to emerge finally in the USA as a citizen seems like heaps on heaps on heaps of good luck, in the greater part of human history most of us have been born with much less rights and advantages.

As the children of Americans we benefit greatly from the result of generations of human struggle , our parents have co-operated and struggled against one another to produce the society ,the infrastructure and the fortune we take so for granted , as if we had a billion times a billion more right to this than any other former egg.

We owe most of this to our progenitors who we can only pay by doing well for their grandchildren.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 12:32:39 PM »
Keep thinking ofvthe dinner thing

http://www.citydebate.com/florida/miamibeach/stories/0104150710.htm

But with this twist in reality no one will agree to let the four freeloaders eat with them . Two at best would get away with it and nobody would let the rich guy pay so much.  The tax system is a really bad dinner

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 12:35:48 PM »
He doesn't obey what he, in your image of what he should be, is.

WHAT?

I don't think Buffett is in any way hypocritical in terms of how he defines his role.

Of course you don't....he's a hard core leftist, who happen to take advantage of this country's capitalistic system to better himself, all the while trashing anyone who apparently does like he, but doesn't support his ideology

Of course, he does not agree with you, and people seem to respect him, perhaps even more than the respect YOU, humbly lowercase s sirs.

Again I'm left to say.....what lowercase x xo??

Shame on him! Let's raise his taxes and teach him a lesson that will make zero difference to him.

What the frell?  Why would I want to "punish him"?....I say lower his taxes, allow him to better invest, make more money, buy more things, help create more jobs, which in turn generates more tax revenues from the increase in income taxes and payroll taes of more folks being employed
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 02:03:23 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 12:43:05 PM »
Keep thinking ofvthe dinner thing

http://www.citydebate.com/florida/miamibeach/stories/0104150710.htm

But with this twist in reality no one will agree to let the four freeloaders eat with them . Two at best would get away with it and nobody would let the rich guy pay so much.  The tax system is a really bad dinner

I like that story, it is a thought experiment .

So what is the diffrence between that story and reality?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 01:13:41 PM »
Nobody would except such a arrangement for dinner.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2012, 01:27:44 PM »
Nobody would except such a arrangement for dinner.

That certainly begs a question, why do we accept something like that arrangement for taxation?

And another question...

How does the US Government comare with a restraunt kitchen for effeciency and markup?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2012, 06:08:08 PM »
Sigh.

Investing in current stock does not create jobs. If I buy 1000 shares of Coca-Cola or GEICO stock or BNSF stock, it will not cause any of those companies to hire a single employee, because I am not buying the stock from the companies, I am buying the stock from someone who bought it earlier and sold it because they needed the money, or thought that some other stock was a better investment.

Warren Buffett can be described in many ways, but to call him a "hard core leftist" is utterly ridiculous. The people he benefits the most and always have benefited the most are those who own shares in Berkshire Hathaway, which come in two sizes, one goes for $131,916  per share and $88.08 per share.

The beta on BRK-B is .29, which means that it is not a very risky stock. A beta of 1.0 is average.
The term "ovarian lottery" is one Buffett uses rather often, I do not know whether he invented it, and I see that it could apply to anyone who is born to some degree. He uses it to refer to those who are born to parents who educate their children well, pass along genes for various talents and perhaps an inheritance as well.

I can't say I agree with him on every issue, but I do find him to be a nicer guy than Carl Icahn, Jack Welsh or Mitt Romney. He entreats the super rich to pass on their money to the less fortunate,and does not seem to have such a large ego that he feels a need to  not collaborate with Bill Gates on his campaign to eradicate Guinea worm, malaria, bilharzia and other nasty tropical diseases. Doing this creates jobs as well, though perhaps not as many as in the US as in Africa and tropical countries,

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2012, 06:23:25 PM »
Sigh.

SIgh....

Investing is only new once , but if the stock could not be resold at a profit , who would ever invest that one time?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2012, 06:55:14 PM »
Precisely. 

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2012, 06:16:31 AM »
That is a rather feeble argument. If A buys stock from B,it does not cause any company, anywhere to hire anyone.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2012, 11:05:24 AM »
It's a very sound arguement....If many invest, as in A-Z buys stock in B, B is far more likely to expand and hire more

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2012, 11:23:59 AM »
But it can lo back fire if one person or group started buyingba massive amount for the goal of controling the company . The company might do a poison pill to stop them.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2012, 11:31:41 AM »
Might, yes....that's the system....there are no guarantees.  Companies do go under.  check out all the "Green companies" that went belly up with our tax dollars.  If anyone invests in any companies, it should be individuals, not the Government.  And if the Government is going to subsidize A, its needs to subsidize most of the rest of the alphabet....that way its not the Government risking our tax dollars on what it wants, but taking a more diverse effort, as most investement folks would advocate