Author Topic: Turns out, you are not Bruce Willis  (Read 2204 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Turns out, you are not Bruce Willis
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 11:16:58 AM »
A lot of people do not like to be hassled, and would not report a thwarted attack that they repelled with a gun, especially if that gun was not registered or they had no permit to carry it to the scene. On the other hand, there are fanatics that would report some incident that never happened just to prove a point.

Until we have cameras everywhere, data on this is questionable.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 11:26:35 AM »
So in other words, besides the lack of backing up your claim, now you're actually bolstering the #'s that still more crimes have been averted with the use of gun, but you're now speculating that those simply went unreported.  You do realize that the FBI stats are supported by actual reports taken by law enforcement, who would be in a position to identify a faked incident, and thus be removed from such stats.

So, back to this supposed claim about some Republican(s) passing some law, at some time, preventing the FBI from releasing gun statistics.  As you said, you should know this
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 03:15:12 PM »
I am saying that all that exists is hearsay and speculation.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2012, 11:18:46 PM »

Yes, I agree that the numbers availible are poorly found and are unreliable.

Further I usually cast suspicion on studys producing results that are politically usefull.

Only extrordnary rigor could correct this percieved prejudice, and I don't know if these cirbcumstances allow rigor at all.

“History can come in handy. If you were born yesterday, with no knowledge of the past, you might easily accept whatever the government tells you. But knowing a bit of history--while it would not absolutely prove the government was lying in a given instance--might make you skeptical, lead you to ask questions, make it more likely that you would find out the truth.”
? Howard Zinn, You Can't Be Neutral on a Moving Train: A Personal History of Our Times

“The Scientific Method is a wonderful tool as long as you don't care which way the outcome turns; however, this process fails the second one's perception interferes with the interpretation of data. This is why I don’t take anything in life as an absolute…even if someone can “prove” it “scientifically.”
? Cristina Marrero

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof."
--Marcello Truzzi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcello_Truzzi
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/proof

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2012, 01:34:34 AM »

Which has been proven to be wrong....yet again
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2012, 02:21:13 AM »
You have nothing believable.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2012, 02:45:17 AM »
...says Professor 99% wrong

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2012, 04:21:51 AM »
So where is this famous FBI study, anyway?

It is pretty clear that every crime prevented or caused by a firearm is reported or investigated. There can be no accurate information on this topic.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2012, 12:50:06 PM »
It's not 1 study by the FBI.  It's their stats generated and sourced to them, that are provided for by those evil agencies you don't believe, such as the NRA, American Free Press, and others.  I can provide what they've provided which you'll pffft all over on, all the while ignoring both that their #'s come from the FBI, and that those #'s go unrefuted.  So, do we really need to go there, or are will you actually concede the FBI's #'s?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
...says Professor 99% wrong

Even if it is rare,
This might be his time to be right.
What is the quality of the evidence?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2012, 01:30:10 PM »
evidence of.......?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2012, 01:31:49 PM »
I have seen no evidence whatever that the FBI HAS any numbers. I know that if it does have numbers, they cannot be reliable.

Again, accurate statistics over crimes prevented because someone had a gun are impossible for anyone to obtain, because a huge amount of confrontations are unreported and therefore unreliable.

It is like believing in the Tooth Fairy.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2012, 01:51:42 PM »
A woman calls 911 during a burglary and the 911 operator doesn't sound convinced
that there really is a burglar until the husband shoots him with his .38 revolver.

Husband Shoots Burglar During 911 Call

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2012, 01:56:39 PM »
I have seen no evidence whatever that the FBI HAS any numbers. I know that if it does have numbers, they cannot be reliable.

See, so it doesn't matter any #'s provided, you'll simply jump up and down, close your eyes & ears, and pretend they don't exist

Again, accurate statistics over crimes prevented because someone had a gun are impossible for anyone to obtain, because a huge amount of confrontations are unreported and therefore unreliable.

Already debunked, in that those that have been reported, have cleared the "making it up" hurdle, otherwise the FBI wouldn't be reporting them, in the 1st place, and under your parameters, still more lives were saved using a gun, but they supposedly didn't report it, because of some perceived illegality of the gun

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2012, 02:24:08 PM »
You have debunked N O T H I N G.

If the F B I does have numbers, which you have never provided, I will only know that they cannot possibly be accurate and therefore cannot be taken seriously.

Bottom line, armed assholes like you do not make anyone safer by strutting around with your toys.