Author Topic: The Greatest? Yeah, in three, count 'em three categories.  (Read 589 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: The Greatest? Yeah, in three, count 'em three categories.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 04:04:18 PM »
Yea, hollywood.......great for entertainment.  I think the greatest was Sound of Music myself, though if anyone missed it, Children of a Lesser God is a stellar flick, if I do say so myself
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 11:15:07 PM »
Four....

Number of Nobel Prizes since 1935.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 02:48:34 PM »
Number of Nobel Prizes since 1935.

==========================================
I love the way the Nobel Prize is paraded as a mark or excellence of the nation, but condemned as a bad choice whenever the same person disagrees with who received it.

Again, I fail to see any utility of seeing every nation on the planet in some sort of competition to see which is the greatest. Nations are not like boxers or sports teams, whose sole raison d'etre is to win. The citizens of each country have their own countries have their own different priorities. You won't find many Americans considering skills at playing cricket or the singing to be of much importance, but they are a really big deal in Barbados and Mongolia.

As a general rule, the Nobel Prize is a judgement on the individuals who receive it, not the country, and those who receive it are generally more worthy than those where nominated and did not receive it. Which is not to say that the awarding it is perfect.

I even sort of enjoyed "The Sound of Music" the FIRST time I saw it. But after the 5th time, it came across as a maudlin weepathon that tends to make me want to hurl. On the other hand, Casablanca never seems to be boring or sentimental, even though it has the same nasty Nazi villains.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."