Author Topic: The measure of a decent human being is how he or she treats the defenseless  (Read 24062 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What Babies Would Say

It is one of life's great mysteries that so many liberal people are so callous when it comes to aborting fetuses. I mean, the Democratic convention last summer was almost a pro-abortion pep rally, as a variety of pro-choice speakers, including the self-proclaimed "Catholic woman" Caroline Kennedy, knelt at the altar of "reproductive rights."

Recently, another woman who calls herself a Catholic, Mary Elizabeth Williams, wrote a shocking article for Salon. Entitled "So What if Abortion Ends Life?" Williams starkly states: "I believe that life starts at conception. And it's never stopped me from being pro-choice."

In the body of the article, Williams says this about her own pregnancies: "I never wavered for a moment in the belief that I was carrying a human life inside of me."

And she continues, "Here's the complicated reality in which we live: All life is not equal. That's a difficult thing for liberals like me to talk about... (A) fetus can be a human life without having the same rights as the woman in whose body it resides. She's the boss. Her life and what is right for her circumstances and her health should automatically trump the rights of the non-autonomous entity inside of her. Always."

So now a developing fetus or viable baby ingesting in the womb is a "non-autonomous entity." Good grief!

The measure of a decent human being is how he or she treats the defenseless. The philosophy of Williams echoes past tyranny: Might makes right! What gives Williams the right to determine that her life is better than the baby she carries? Who appointed Williams the arbiter of who lives and who dies? Always, Williams? Abortion is acceptable always?

We are not talking about life endangerment or catastrophic damage to the mother here. No. What Williams believes, and she's not alone, is that a woman can execute her fetus simply because "she's the boss."

You may remember the late-term abortion doctor George Tiller. For $5,000, Tiller would drill a hole into the skull of a baby anytime up until birth. Tiller had an assistant in his Kansas clinic, Dr. Ann Kristin Neuhaus, whose assignment was to put on paper a reason for the late termination. Pretty much any reason would do, including "anxiety."

On May 31, 2009, Tiller was shot through the eye while attending a church service. His killer, Scott Roeder, is serving life in prison. The murder made national headlines, and in many press dispatches, Tiller was portrayed as a martyr. People like me who had criticized Tiller before the vicious crime were accused by far-left loons of encouraging the assassination.

On June 22, 2012, Neuhaus was informed that Kansas authorities had revoked her medical license. A judge ruled that she did not perform adequate mental health examinations of 11 abortion patients. The prosecution said that Neuhaus was a "threat to any future patients she might have."

Not to mention the babies she helped Tiller abort.

There comes a time when a human being has to either face evil or admit to allowing it. Abortion is legal in the United States, but it should not be celebrated or used as a political tool. Viable babies are human beings. If they could talk, they would tell Williams and other pro-choice zealots that their lives should not be marginalized by someone who thinks she's the boss. That's what the babies would say.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:

Recently, another woman who calls herself a Catholic, Mary Elizabeth Williams, wrote a shocking article for Salon. Entitled "So What if Abortion Ends Life?" Williams starkly states: "I believe that life starts at conception. And it's never stopped me from being ......
Mary Elizabeth Williams,has been honest with herself and with her readers, she is escuing the use of euphimism.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
I think Williams is using the term non-autonomous to be the equivalent of non-viable. In which case her views are not much different than settled law.

In this forum we discussed the acquisition of personhood as a process that evolves as the fetus grows ever closer to viability. With viability coming earlier and earlier if one most abort it should be within the first trimester. Give or take a week or two.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
I think Williams is using the term non-autonomous to be the equivalent of non-viable. In which case her views are not much different than settled law.

In this forum we discussed the acquisition of personhood as a process that evolves as the fetus grows ever closer to viability. With viability coming earlier and earlier if one most abort it should be within the first trimester. Give or take a week or two.

that would be a step in the right direction

the way that giving this person the rights[ of a lab mouse is if they hae none

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:

I don't understand what you are trying to say here.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:

I don't understand what you are trying to say here.

There are laws that make animal cruelty a felony in Georgia.

But there is no such protection for a person who has a day yet to be born.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
But there is no such protection for a person who has a day yet to be born.

Are you sure that is a true statement?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Yes, I am sure as Hell that a fetus is (a) NOT a person and (b) has no civil rights. Nor should it. Nor should we bestow rights upon your sperm.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Yes, I am sure as Hell that a fetus is (a) NOT a person and (b) has no civil rights. Nor should it. Nor should we bestow rights upon your sperm.

Are you sure that you will never be declared a non person?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
 A pregnant Georgia woman, who led police on a high speed chase, will likely be charged in the death of the 24-week-old baby she was carrying.

Police said Jessica Bruce, 21, refused to stop her car Wednesday night when they tried to pull her over for speeding. Bruce fled, struck a car, spun into oncoming traffic and was hit by another car, totaling her vehicle and killing the fetus, authorities said.

The results of those tests will determine how prosecutors proceed. Based on preliminary information, it is likely Bruce will be charged with "feticide by vehicle," according to Douglas County District Attorney David McDade.

"The preliminary investigation leads us to believe she was under the influence of alcohol," McDade told ABCNews.com. "She was fleeing police at a high rate of speed and driving dangerously."

The maximum penalty in Georgia for vehicular feticide carries a 15-year prison sentence.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/cops-pregnant-mom-killed-fetus-drunk-driving-crash/story?id=10638814&page=2

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: The measure of a decent human being is how he or she treats the defenseless
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 10:52:37 PM »
They should charge the baby as well.

If she had not been pregnant, perhaps she would not have been drunk.

It is unlikely that she premeditated an auto accident to kill the fetus. This is stupid posturing by the state and I really doubt that the state will get away with this. They can prosecute her for drunk driving and causing harm to other drivers at best.

The State of Georgia seems to have its head up its ass on this one.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 11:02:05 PM »
The feticide laws offer a token form of protection for the unborn; if the law acts as a deterrent.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 11:31:35 PM »
It does not seem to me that any pregnant woman would be deterred from drinking and deriving recklessly more than a non pregnant one.

If this stupid law is supposed to be a deterrent, it is not a logical one.

Men cannot become pregnant. Why pass a law that punishes a pregnant woman more than a man or a non pregnant woman?

Again, the State of Georgia is being ridiculous here.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 11:55:23 PM »
It does not seem to me that any pregnant woman would be deterred from drinking and deriving recklessly more than a non pregnant one.

If this stupid law is supposed to be a deterrent, it is not a logical one.

Men cannot become pregnant. Why pass a law that punishes a pregnant woman more than a man or a non pregnant woman?

Again, the State of Georgia is being ridiculous here.

The law affects men too. If the woman were sober and hit by another driver who was drunk and the accident resulted in the death of the fetus the man could be charged with feticide.

BTW 38 other states have similar laws.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 11:56:54 PM »
Just dumb, that is all there is to it.