Author Topic: The measure of a decent human being is how he or she treats the defenseless  (Read 24070 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The measure of a decent human being is how he or she treats the defenseless
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2013, 12:32:34 AM »
Oh, get serious.

The Bible is not the word of God

LOL.......spoken like a true heathen.   That is PRECISELY what it is

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2013, 01:05:22 AM »

Oh, get serious.

The Bible is not the word of God.

LOL.......spoken like a true heathen.   That is PRECISELY what it is

It is the word of God if you believe it is the word of God. Thus it is a matter faith.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2013, 01:25:13 AM »
Indeed.  And for someone to blatantly tell me or any other Christian that it is not, then I have no problem with the heathen label
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2013, 02:04:49 AM »
The only way to keep things in their place is to label them.

But just for giggles, would the bible be as valuable as a collection of the mores and morals of the old ones or does its value rest in the faith that it is the word of God.

Would the 10 commandments be less valuable if it was Moses who wrote them?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2013, 02:21:33 AM »
Is heathen being used as a slur or as recognition of a different set of beliefs?

And how does spanish moss get on those live oak trees

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2013, 04:11:31 AM »
If you check the definition, you'd note it was the latter

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2013, 08:41:45 AM »
It is hardly necessary to believe that the Bible is the word of God to believe that there is a God.

There either is or is not a God. That is a matter of faith.

That God either is responsible for the Bible or He is not. That is another, different matter of faith.

The Bible claiming that it is the word of God because it says it is the word of God is circular reasoning and therefore illogical.

The Bible contradicts itself in numerous occasions; this can he ascertained quite easily online.

This is not the same as saying that everything that the Bible says is false. There are true statements in the Bible, false statements in the Bible and rather a lot of gibberish. You have but to read it, which I have done.

Believing that the Bible is the word of God makes it the word of God is like believing that once my grandfather's dog, whom I have never seen, could fly, means that my grandfather's dog could fly.

We are not watching a play, so believing that Tinkerbelle and the fairies are real does not bestow them with existence, nor does it give them the power of flight or to work magic or anything else.

In this country we have decided to believe that all religions worship the same god(s) and believe the same things. Any study of any two religions reveal that this is simply not so.

The only way that all religions could be equal with regard to belief structure would be for all of them to be wrong. It is possible that they all are wrong, but that cannot be proven scientifically, nor would proving it cause everyone to disbelieve.

Most of the time, religion does not get in the way of living. Some people need religion more than others, but this is a matter of nurture rather than nature.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 09:11:44 AM by Xavier_Onassis »
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2013, 11:02:02 AM »
If you do not think I am serious , you do not know what I am saying.

If you do not think the Bible is the word of God , why say that the word of God is required for your opinion to include babys as persons ?

What sort of "God" are you looking for?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2013, 11:28:32 AM »
It is hardly necessary to believe that the Bible is the word of God to believe that there is a God.

No one claimed you had to (more straw alert).  For the vast majority of Christians however, that's exactly what it is.  And yes, that is a matter of faith.  But without some concrete proof on your part, to proclaim that The Bible is not the word of God, or that There never was a Job, wreaks of being an unbelieving heathen to that vast majority of Christians

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2013, 11:39:27 AM »
The burden of proof is NOT to disprove that the Bible is the word of God, it is to PROVE that it is.

If I say the moon of made of green cheese, I have the obligation to prove it.

That is the way that science and logic work.

YOU must prove that Job existed. YOU must prove that the Bible is the word of God.

We already know that God did not write the Bible. Not even the Bible claims this.

The burden of proof always lies with the  person making the allegation.

No one can disprove a negative statement, either, by the way.

How could anyone prove that Job never existed?

The same way that one proves that Tinkerbelle does not exist. The fact is, it cannot be done. I imagine that with proper laser 3-D holographic technology, we could cause a very convincing Tinkerbelle to appear, one convincing enough for medieval people unaware of the technology.  Surely those who disbelieved would attribute the appearance to magic, which it is for them, at least.

So, go on, PROVE that the Bible is the word of God. I dare you.

Or start off with something easy. Try disproving a negative. Prove that faeries do not exist. Prove that the chupacabra does not exist.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 11:55:38 AM by Xavier_Onassis »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2013, 12:10:44 PM »
If you do not think the Bible is the word of God , why say that the word of God is required for your opinion to include babys as persons ?

You are confounding two assumptions here (1) that there is a God capable of putting in an appearance, and (2) that the same Being produced the Bible. One can believe in a Deity without believing in the Hebrew version of that Deity. One can believe in Ahuru-Mazda or Brahma or the Great Spirit.

What sort of "God" are you looking for?

If I say that God should put in a personal appearance affirming at what point a fetus becomes a human (ie the insertion of a soul), then that is the sort of God to which I am referring.

As described in the Bible, God is rather enigmatic. Genesis claims that God spoke to Adam & Eve personally. It states that God made Man in His own image.

However, when God appears later in Exodus to Moses, he chooses to appear as flaming shrubbery. We know for sure that God did not create Man in the image of burning bushes, don't we?

In the other relatively few appearances. God appears to people noted for being rather mentally unstable, like Jeremiah or the wacky author of the Book of Revelation, allegedly John of Patmos.

God does appear in films as George Burns, Morgan Fairchild, and other actors, and there is that bit in The Ten Commandments, but those are not taken as authentic by anyone as anything but whimsy or pious speculation.

I do not expect that God will be putting in an appearance on behalf of fetuses. After all, He did not appear one hundred times life size and say in the booming James Earl Jones voice, simultaneously in German, Polish, Yiddish and whatever, "NOW CUT THAT OUT!", which would surely have been the most logical thing to do.

Jesus, who some claim to be God, said He would return before the last of the group with whom He was speaking had died. Unless there is a 2000 year old disciple still roaming about, we know that this is not what happened. Jesus still has not returned.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2013, 12:17:50 PM »
The burden of proof is NOT to disprove that the Bible is the word of God, it is to PROVE that it is.

I'm not required to prove to you anything.....ITS CALLED FAITH FOR A REASON, Not CSI Babylon.  You are completely free not to believe, but you have squat in trying to claim to Christians that the Bible is not the word of God

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2013, 12:44:09 PM »
I can claim anything to anyone.

Again. the burden of proof ALWAYS lies with the person making the claim. It is ALWAYS impossible to prove a negative.

You can also believe in Tinkerbelle. If you try really hard, you can probably convince yourself that you are Napoleon, or Jesus Himself.

But you are not logical and you either know this or are stupid.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2013, 01:31:22 PM »

Of course you can.  You can spout your 99% wrong opinion to anyone, anytime.  Whoever claimed you couldn't??  I relish disproving your claims over, and over, and over again, when its issues not of faith, but of facts and politics.  By all means, keep'em coming    8)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2013, 01:35:49 PM »

Of course you can.  You can spout your 99% wrong opinion to anyone, anytime.  Whoever claimed you couldn't??  I relish disproving your claims over, and over, and over again, when its issues not of faith, but of facts and politics.  By all means, keep'em coming    8)

Well ... where is the proof that the Bible was written by God?