Author Topic: You Can Always Spot the Chickenhawks  (Read 579 times)

BSB

You Can Always Spot the Chickenhawks
« on: February 14, 2013, 01:22:21 AM »
The New McCarthyism of Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Calgary)

Posted by AzBlueMeanie:

I suppose we are to be grateful that this Canadian-American Tea Party tool from Texas is ineligible to run for president.

During his few short weeks in the U.S. Senate, chickenhawk Ted Cruz (R-Calgary) has been channeling the ghost of Joe McCarthy in over-the-top fashion during the confirmation hearings of former Senator Chuck Hagel for Secretary of Defense, who is a decorated Vietnam war veteran and advocate for veterans.

Brent Budowski at The Hill lets Joe McCarthy Ted Cruz have it for crossing over the line. Sen. Ted Cruz slanders war hero, embarrasses Texas and violates Armed Services Committee tradition:

The hearings to consider the nomination of former Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-Neb.) began with two great statesmen endorsing Hagel and ended with a freshman Republican senator embarrassing his state and the Armed Services Committee with a performance that illustrates why Republicans have lost three of the last four national elections and why Texas Democrats have good odds of a historic revival.

The support for Hagel was offered by former Sens. John Warner (R-Va.) and Sam Nunn (D-Ga.), both onetime Armed Services Committee chairmen. The cheap shot slander of war hero Hagel was offered by Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), whose service in the Senate is measured in days, not decades, and who was properly reprimanded directly by Sen. Bill Nelson (D-Fla.) and indirectly by Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), who vouched for the intense patriotism of Hagel.

The Senate Armed Services Committee has a long and proud tradition of bipartisan statesmanship that was violated by the Tea Party freshman senator who tried to smear a war hero who not only served his country with courage but also has battled for veterans and military families in Texas and nationally for a generation.

Nationally, the shameful performance by Cruz, who acted like Joe McCarthy in short pants with his insults of war hero Hagel, illustrates why Republicans keep losing elections, why the Republican and Tea Party brands are in such disrepute, and why the so-called Republican reboot (which I have called the Republican retoot) is still not close to credible.

In Texas, veteran voters know that Hagel is enthusiastically supported by the American Legion, the Veterans of Foreign Wars and groups speaking for veterans of Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan. Presumably while Hagel was battling as a decorated war hero and fighting for all living veterans, Cruz was being cheered at Tea Party seminars and eating popcorn at war movies.

Cruz's performance at Armed Services was disgraceful and appalling.  He violated the proud tradition of a great bipartisan committee and did no service to the countless veterans and war heroes of Texas and the nation who know that Hagel is a great friend and member of the band of brothers and sisters who serve Texas and America with valor.

http://www.webxcope.com/rfx/ss1872324.htm

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: You Can Always Spot the Chickenhawks
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 02:11:07 PM »
Former Senator Chuck Hagel has not been glib.

I don't mind that, truely glib politicians have been disapointing more often than not.

I like that Senator Hagel has military experience as an enlisted man, and a lot of various experience since then.

I don't think that anyone better will be offered, who indeed is the alternative?

So I think that the questions should be probing , but unless worse turns up than has turned up so far , I favor confirmation.

A bigger issue is going unasked,.... what is the right size and right cost of the armed forces of the USA?.
If Senator Hagel is being hired just to be the patsy as the Army is hollowed out , this job will be bad for him and he will have no oppurtunity to be good at it.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: You Can Always Spot the Chickenhawks
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 02:57:05 PM »
It looks to me like the Israeli/Jewish/Zionist lobby has a hand in this. Ted Cruz is a chickenshit. But he has six years for the voters to forget what he has done.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."