Author Topic: Get a Mans Gun  (Read 10330 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Get a Mans Gun
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2013, 11:32:39 AM »
So, at the very least here, xo is questioning the facts presented, but can't refute them.  Merely speculate why there aren't more suicides in the U.S........almost as if he were wishing there were more here in the U.S.      :-\    I suppose I can use the same tactic and speculate why there aren't more lives saved with the use of a Gun, then there already is......largely misreported, under-reported, and even not reported, based on possibly on not wanting law enforcement involved
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2013, 07:01:20 PM »
There are two reasons why suicides are frequently misreported in the US: religion and insurance. Most of the top countries are not Roman Catholic countries where the church can prevent burial in "holy ground", and countries where life insurance is both common and allowed to disallow payment in the case of suicide.

So I question this list.

Suicides using guns are pretty clearly suicides, not as easy to fake as the movies would have it.

But your point seems to be that the USA is less honest about suicides than the thirtyfive countrys with greater percapata suicide reported?

Japan hasn't got life insurance?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2013, 08:26:14 PM »
The Japanese have universal health care, which means they are less likely to have life insurance. I am sure they can buy it, but I have no data on how many Japanese do this. They are great at saving money, and of course, if you have enough money saved, then you do not need life insurance, or at least are less likely to think you do.

The usual gun suicide lie is that the person shot himself while cleaning his gun, and the police would rather call it an accident. They have no reason to insist on it being recorded as a suicide if requested to do so by the family.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2013, 10:33:23 PM »
Health care has no bearing on a persons need for life insurance.

With the best and cheapest health care possible the death rate is 100%.

Life insurance is needed if there are people who depend on you.

I don't know exactly how many Japaneese vs Americans buy life insurance and then comit suicide , but I I would have to guess that the number is a minority of suicides in either case.

At any rate I feel as if we have left the fairway, crossed the rough and have entered the woods on this.

I posit that there is not a strong co-relation between firearm availibility and suicide rates.

I point to AVAILIBLE data .

If you have got some data that you are not shareing , shame on you.