Author Topic: Get a Mans Gun  (Read 10331 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Get a Mans Gun
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2013, 09:55:00 PM »
In spite of the impression one might get from this website.

Half of our citizens are not men.

If the purchaser were a slightly built woman, would you still reccomend an M-1?

An M1 weighs nearly ten pounds and generates a recoil that a small person might find daunting.

A lighter gun in a smaller caliber might be easier to aim, especailly for a second shot.

BSB

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2013, 09:59:56 PM »
Yes, for someone like you Plane a BB gun is probably best.

BSB

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2013, 10:26:19 PM »
Yes, for someone like you Plane a BB gun is probably best.

BSB

This is an answer?

Perhaps you think you are being clear.

Perhaps indeed I have missed something I should have understood , this has happened to me before, I could be being obtuse all the while I think I am being sharp.

But I am not understanding your point here and right now I don't think it is me.

People who cannot afford a FN FAL , or people who cannot stand a 30.06 recoil, or people who are not mechanicly inclined enough to maintain a wepon with a lot of parts, should not have the citizens priveledge of being effectively armed?

My choice is unlike your choice , my circumstances do not match your circumstances.
I can respect your choice which may fit you and your circumstances better than my favoriates would.

If a person were to choose a .223 caliber on an Armalite style rifle , They apparently would agree with neither of us , but why not respect the decision? It might be a good fit to someone who is not you or me.

Century Arms .308 L1A1 FN FAL Battle Rifle Junk?? You Decide!

http://archives.gunsandammo.com/content/armalite

BSB

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2013, 11:14:45 PM »
Look plane, there are plenty of .22s, .32s, etc., out there. There are all kinds of set ups also. You can drive yourself nuts with options. Have at it. What I recommended is what I like, what I have experience with, and what the best use. If a smaller women, or smaller man for that matter, were to ask me what to buy I'd have to know exactly what they were going to use the firearm for. If it was for selfdefense I'd need to know what the environment is like. How they would would most likely use it, etc., etc. Something like a .22 mag can be a very deadly caliber when used properly. 

BSB     

BSB

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2013, 11:18:02 PM »
A thought. A .357 lever action. A Marlin for example.

BSB

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2013, 11:20:35 PM »
Look plane, there are plenty of .22s, .32s, etc., out there. There are all kinds of set ups also. You can drive yourself nuts with options. Have at it. What I recommended is what I like, what I have experience with, and what the best use. If a smaller women, or smaller man for that matter, were to ask me what to buy I'd have to know exactly what they were going to use the firearm for. If it was for selfdefense I'd need to know what the environment is like. How they would would most likely use it, etc., etc. Something like a .22 mag can be a very deadly caliber when used properly. 

BSB   

I totally agree, there are a lot of diffrent models with a lot of diffrent capabilitys.
The M-4 I see every day hangs down the back of the guards at the gate at work.
Quite a lot of these guards are young small women.

This doesn't make me want an M-4, but I also behave myself so that I don't get shot up by a young small woman, who enlisted and got ten times the training I ever got in small arms.

BSB

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2013, 11:25:07 PM »
BTW, I knew a Special Forces guy who carried a Marlin lever action in 45-70 in Vietnam and Laos. He liked it against NVA who were shooting from bunkers. 

BSB

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2013, 11:33:17 PM »
A thought. A .357 lever action. A Marlin for example.

BSB

I am familiar with that.
I get the most use from a marlin lever 30-30 and I have had my eye on a 45-70.

The undergrowth in Georgia is dense and I am not comfortable with long shots.

So I think your thought is near the mark .

I have a friend that dotes on the M-1 and he almost persueded me to go with him to Anniston to get a CMP rifle.
My father owned a sportsterised Mauser war trophy, I have tried a 1940 Monson-Nagant and a Swiss K31.

I return to the 30-30 carbine , though battered and poorly painted , it is the most familiar.

I realise that your Army training puts your small arms knoledge on a high level, but I think that if you condesend and I try really hard , I might get your point eventually.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2013, 11:47:06 PM »
BTW, I knew a Special Forces guy who carried a Marlin lever action in 45-70 in Vietnam and Laos. He liked it against NVA who were shooting from bunkers. 

BSB

He must have liked it quite a bit , wasn't he having any trouble coping with availibility of ammunition?
I have seen the 45-70 effect on deer , the advantage is a fast kill, the disadvantage is often a wasted roast.

Hunting has diffrent imperitives than combat, on a hunt , not to shoot is always a choice, once I allowed a heard to pass around my hide , joyfull to see them .
 They didn't spook till they were past me and downwind, that was a thrilling experience ,it was worth passing on a good shot.

BSB

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2013, 11:48:51 PM »
"I realize that your Army training puts your small arms knowledge on a high level, but I think that if you condescend and I try really hard , I might get your point eventually."

Please, who is being condescending now?

You know Plane, if I were you than I might not wonder too far from a 30 30. I'm a 30 caliber man myself. 30 30, 308, 30 06, and so on.

My email xxxxxxx. Email me. I won't leave this address up for long.   
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 11:54:26 PM by BSB »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2013, 11:54:27 PM »
"I realize that your Army training puts your small arms knowledge on a high level, but I think that if you condescend and I try really hard , I might get your point eventually."

Please, who is being condensing now?

You know Plane, if I were you than I might not wonder too far from a 30 30. I'm a 30 caliber man myself. 30 30, 308, 30 06, and so on.

My email [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] Email me. I won't leave this address up for long.

Hmmmmm...

No point in remaining condesending very long, I am not really ignorant on this subject , but you could easily be more expert than I.
This is exactly as it should be , your experience is all the more valuable to me when it diffrent than mine.

I warrant that you and I can disagree quite a lot , but come out friends .

Thank you for the e-address , I have written it down, but I don't know why.
Why?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 12:04:03 AM by Plane »

BSB

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2013, 11:56:50 PM »
Plane, take my address down

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2013, 11:59:45 PM »
As for the asinine charge that I'm anti-2nd amendment?

Someone who has made a public record of claiming who should and who shouldn't be allowed to carry a firearm, outside of some self perceived knowledge that they know better, supplimented by the call to ban various firearms because they look mean, instead of having the cajones to actually put some substance behind the rhetoric, is as I can see anti-2nd amendment.  But that's beside the point.  Let's help tear down this emotional rant just a little more

As for the shooting incident brought to the fore by the poster "sirs" and specifically to the posters reply to my comments on A) the layout of the house and B) the comments by the father of the shooter?

To A: Unless the front and back doors and the window in question of this house are all one in the same the 15 year old shooter had plenty of time to seek safety in a way that didn't involve a shooting.

There was MORE than 1 person.  And unless the 15year old has access to video cameras, there's no way in hell he would know where they BOTH were at any given time, if he's only seeing one, or not knowing if there were more than 2.   YOU WEREN'T THERE, and these kids aren't military vets.  Far better to stay in a safe location, and defend themselves from a defensible position......which they did.  And thank God they had that AR-15

To B: The father of the shooter, being a police officer, knew very well the importance of getting out in front of this story. Further, his remarks, so perfectly worded to protect his son, may very well have been issued after consulting with a lawyer. 

Love the Dr Phil 10second psychoanalysis.  Your pure non pseudopsychological speculation aside, I'm going to go with that's EXACTLY what he meant and intended to say

Though this "cooperative" suffix is at least entertaining, as is the 3rd party reference.  I'm impressed you're taking the additional time and energy to place such parameters around my name, when everyone else can just type "sirs".     8)

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2013, 11:29:24 AM »
I really mean looking pellet pistol should be quite effective in repelling burglars. No one appreciates being shot with a pellet, and they are unlikely to hang around for long after being shot with one.

I have seen ads for crossbow pistols that look very menacing.

The cost of pellet pistols and crossbows and their ammo is far cheaper as well, assuming that one feels a need to practice.

An M-1 rifle for home defense would be most useful if you carried it around with you loaded, in your home, all day. I deem this unlikely for all but the deeply obsessed.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2013, 12:02:10 PM »
Then by all means, YOU may choose to defend your homes and loved ones with a pellet gun.  I think your garden hose should do just fine in case your garage is fully engulfed as well
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle