Author Topic: Hans Rosling  (Read 716 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hans Rosling
« on: February 22, 2013, 08:06:02 PM »
The River of Myths by Hans Rosling | #BillsLetter

Hans Rosling can tell you a lot in less than three minutes.

Hans Rosling's 200 Countries, 200 Years, 4 Minutes - The Joy of Stats - BBC Four

Even better still less than five.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Hans Rosling
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 12:31:45 AM »
God only knows how many babies will never be born because women no longer listen to the Holy Mother Church.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 09:38:47 PM »
God only knows how many babies will  be killed because women no longer listen to the Holy Mother Church.

Why mince words?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 09:51:04 AM »
What words, precisely, did I mince?

The reason women are no longer reproducing like sexually addicted bunnies is because the BC pill was invented. The Church claims that it is a sin to use it, and yet every morning most Catholic women of a fertile age take it, or use some other form be BC. All those potential eggs that could have been fertilized, were flushed down the toilet.

The actions and wishes of those millions of American women are somehow now supposed to be ignored because of the weird beliefs of one guy who claims to have never diddled or lived with one single woman: the Pope. And only his uninformed opinion seems to count.

Rosling points out that progress is being made. The Pope would certainly not see this as progress at all.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 08:18:15 PM »
You do realize that the church's stance concerning contraception does not rest on the shoulders of the current Pope?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 09:32:48 PM »
What words, precisely, did I mince?

The reason women are no longer reproducing like sexually addicted bunnies is because the BC pill was invented. The Church claims that it is a sin to use it, and yet every morning most Catholic women of a fertile age take it, or use some other form be BC. All those potential eggs that could have been fertilized, were flushed down the toilet.

The actions and wishes of those millions of American women are somehow now supposed to be ignored because of the weird beliefs of one guy who claims to have never diddled or lived with one single woman: the Pope. And only his uninformed opinion seems to count.

Rosling points out that progress is being made. The Pope would certainly not see this as progress at all.

Oh, you ment contraception.
I am sorry , this is my mistake.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 09:39:33 PM »
I was interested at the rich delivery of information.

The graphic representation is excelent, and conveys rapidly and accurately an understanding of historical trends .

I am not so sure of his final conclusions.

The chart if stretched further back in time would have shown the same trends , but much more slowly.

The seemingly linear advance of progress might indeed remain on the uptrend for a long time yet , but if the actual trajectory is a hyperbola we simply would not know it yet.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 11:08:13 PM »
I agree that Has Rosling provides information in a most impressive and convincing manner.