Author Topic: No Theocracy, Huh?  (Read 4650 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: No Theocracy, Huh?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 11:12:14 PM »
Vouchers are a stupid idea. I should not have to pay taxes to support anyone's religion.

I bet if most of the children in your school district were Muslims, you would not want your taxes to support your local neighborhood madrassa. I know I wouldn't.

The only way to assess what students are learning in school is to compel all students in every school or home school to take regular tests over the same material.

When I was a kid, the students at the parochial school could not name the presidents and knew almost nothing about the government. They could name pretty much all the popes and could spend hours telling about all of St Patrick's miracles. I discovered this when I was at Camp Osceola, with the Boy Scouts.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 11:16:46 PM »
Vouchers are a stupid idea. I should not have to pay taxes to support anyone's religion.

I bet if most of the children in your school district were Muslims, you would not want your taxes to support your local neighborhood madrassa. I know I wouldn't.

The only way to assess what students are learning in school is to compel all students in every school or home school to take regular tests over the same material.

When I was a kid, the students at the parochial school could not name the presidents and knew almost nothing about the government. They could name pretty much all the popes and could spend hours telling about all of St Patrick's miracles. I discovered this when I was at Camp Osceola, with the Boy Scouts.

So do the graduates of Catholic schools , Jewish schools and Madrassas perform poorly on the job or otherwise once released in the real world?

I do not feel hurt if someone knows more about Pope Pious the ninth than President Polk, he and his family might actually think the popes and saints important.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 11:25:54 PM »
I was not talking about how they did not know who President Polk was: they did not know who the Vice President was, they did not know what a Senator was.

So, if lots of kids in your school district were Muslims, you'd be okay with their vouchers went to the Madrassa, where they would hear how great the Ayatollah was?

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 02:45:10 PM »
I was not talking about how they did not know who President Polk was: they did not know who the Vice President was, they did not know what a Senator was.

So, if lots of kids in your school district were Muslims, you'd be okay with their vouchers went to the Madrassa, where they would hear how great the Ayatollah was?

Yes.

Why otherwise?