Author Topic: I thought she was being nice to those schools  (Read 1330 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I thought she was being nice to those schools
« on: April 05, 2013, 05:59:36 PM »
http://blog.sfgate.com/sfmoms/2013/04/04/high-school-senior-writes-scathing-letter-to-ivy-league-colleges-that-denied-her/

I got the impression those school only take students who ony go to the right elementary schools not just get top grades in the right high school.

I think the messege is only apply to school that actually teach the stuff you needs in your chosen field don't waste time applying for ivy leagues which require things that has nothing with your educational requirements. No wonder online schools are growing so fast.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: I thought she was being nice to those schools
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 09:23:27 PM »
The thing she ignored is that there are over 300 million people in this very large country. There are many thousands of graduating HS seniors that would do quite well at any Ivy League School, as she would, but they can only take a fraction of them.  She was accepted at Penn State and Indiana and others that could give her every bit as good an education as the Ivy League schools the applied to.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 11:18:37 PM »
Also she said she woud not mind a tiger mom. But what she ddn't know is asians require the highest GPA to enter these schools and very few make it to the point most don't even bother trying. Even the tigermom told her daughter don't mention she's part asian to prevent rejection.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 11:22:49 AM »
Would anything bad happen if these universitys made thair admissions entirely colorblind?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 11:30:17 AM »
Well
Harvard will likely have a dramatic increase of asians due to it's proximity to new york.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 11:43:35 AM »
Well
Harvard will likely have a dramatic increase of asians due to it's proximity to new york.

Is this a bad thing?

There were a lot of years when the children of the Wasp had enough advantage that anyone elese had to demonstrate twice the energy and ability to make equal station.

I don't think this was a good thing for anyone , such advantages engender lazyness and bad attitude on one side and anger on the other.

Let the universitys serve Asians as they earn , not some fraction therof , the "imbalance" produced won't be permanant , just the rest of us will need to grow some tiger, I don't think this is impossible , there just isn't enough reason to do it.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 12:04:31 PM »
Actually it might be bad

Awhile ago I asked what do people outside of california think of asians. Here it's been positive . I asked because kramer thought asians got into schools because of affrimative action. But a influx of asians in the top schools may cause us to get attacked. I heard quite afew anti- asian sentiment from moms trying to get thiers kids to these schools and GPA is not a factor.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 02:31:23 PM »
It is safe to say that admission to the Ivy League is a sure thing mostly for the "legacy" candidates whose parents attended and donated to these schools.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 02:47:07 PM »
Well
The capitalist in me can't fault exploiting a viable income source for the school. But thats also a factor why asian don't get into these schools thier just too poor to be a income source for schools.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 07:18:15 PM »
Well
The capitalist in me can't fault exploiting a viable income source for the school. But thats also a factor why asian don't get into these schools thier just too poor to be a income source for schools.

Such schools should be forward looking.
If they admit, and train well the best student , the result in time will be a lot of well paid alumnus.

Giving poor training to second tier students really should not be as well rewarded.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 07:46:29 PM »
Not much data on us folks tanking. Not sure it's assumed asians do well or people simply don't care.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 08:38:48 PM »
18.1. Dropouts

Between 1997 and 2007, the percentage of 16- to 24-year-olds who were status dropouts decreased from 11 to 9 percent. Status dropout rates and changes in these rates over time differ by race/ethnicity. In 1997, a higher percentage of Hispanics were status dropouts (25 percent) than were Blacks (13 percent), Whites (8 percent), Asians/Pacific Islanders (7 percent), and American Indians/Alaska Natives (15 percent). The percentages of Blacks and American Indians/Alaska Natives who were status dropouts were also higher than the respective percentages of Whites and Asians/Pacific Islanders. In 2007, a similar pattern was evident: a higher percentage of Hispanics were status dropouts (21 percent) than Blacks (8 percent), Asians/Pacific Islanders (6 percent), and Whites (5 percent), and the percentages of Blacks and American Indians/Alaska Natives (19 percent) who were status dropouts were higher than the percentages of Whites and Asians/Pacific Islanders who were status dropouts. No measurable differences in status dropout rates were found between Hispanics and American Indians/Alaska Natives in 2007.

In general, the status dropout rates for Whites, Blacks, and Hispanics declined between 1997 and 2007. However, for each year during that period, the status dropout rate was lower for Whites and Blacks than for Hispanics. The rate for Asians/Pacific Islanders was also lower than the rates for Hispanics and Blacks between 1997 and 2007. During that period, the gap between the status dropout rates of Blacks and Whites narrowed. While the gap between the status dropout rates of Hispanics and Whites was larger in 1998 than in 1997, this gap narrowed between 1998 and 2007.
http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2010/2010015/indicator4_18.asp

Why are Asians and Pacific islanders the same set?

seems like "Asian" is too wide a catagory already.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 10:53:52 PM »
6%is not bad
but i got no idea how we got lump together ,don`t forget india is in trhe mix.
did you know thiers no word for our look, asian or oriental don`t cut it since indians are called that also. maybe mongoloid but that just too close to calling somebody with down syndrone.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 10:32:08 AM »
I always thought it strange when they say that (a) Israel is the homeland of all the Jews, but (b) Jews are not classified as Asians. Israel is not in Europe, it is not in Africa, it is in Asia. Armenians and Georgians are also Asians, as are a huge number of Russians. Asia is quite vast.

Of course, Asia and Europe are not actually separate continents as are all the other continents, separated by water and joined only by small land bridges, if at all.

The division between Asia and Europe is pretty much defined by man rather than geography.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 02:47:04 PM »
Doesn't Asia start at the Caucus mountains?

So at least the people living on the eastern slopes are Caucasian Asians.