Author Topic: At least some are being more honest  (Read 4256 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: At least some are being more honest
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 02:04:47 PM »
I rewatched the vid and she didn`t really state specifics so it still seem align with what I stated. what did you think she meant. If anything she was talking about the direction of how education should be applied communal instead singularly a family situation.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 02:08:12 PM »
I think she meant that the Government can do a better job at "educating" the children, and beyond that, that the Government has an obligation, as in that the children really do belong to the Government.  Nothing voluntary in her tone or intentions, from what I gathered
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 02:23:39 PM »
Government-run schools and government certified schools surely do a better job of educating children than would be the case is every child were home schooled. There are no countries on the planet that do not have some form of public education in their constitutions.

Even non-countries, like Transdnestria and the Polisario refugee camps have some sort of public education.

I think that universal home schooling is pretty rare in the world, perhaps limited only to remote African villages and the steppes of Mongolia. Peasants had home schooling all during the Middle Ages, also known as the "Dark Ages" because of the degree of ignorance that prevailed.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 02:37:50 PM »
Government-run schools and government certified schools surely do a better job of educating children than would be the case is every child were home schooled.

Source?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 02:45:36 PM »
What do you mean "source?"

Compare the way that serfs educated their children in the Middle Ages with any country on the planet.

There are NO COUNTRIES where all children are home schooled as a matter of policy. The reason for this is because it would not work.

People can home school their kids here, and some do a good job of it, but many do not. There is always some form of government supervision of any home school plan, and this is as it should be.

All this woman is saying is that it is better to educate children in schools than to leave it entirely up to their parents. There are no countries that do not have this as a guiding principle.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 02:55:20 PM »
well
to me that's not exactly a easy subject.

I don`t believe in cookie cutter education. in fact I see education like I see crime. It`s a situation if left uncheck will grow and easily counter any solution you throw at it. one answer don`t cut it.

also limit parental involvement. if you look at why the bar is lowered it tend to be caused by a parent whose upset a student didn`t make it to the next grade.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 03:10:41 PM »
What i mean by "source" is that you made a blanket statement that public schools turn out on average a better educated student than those who are home schooled. I simply haven't seen any unbiased literature that would prove your statement.

So source

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 04:07:52 PM »
I think its just supposed to be "obvious"
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 04:13:03 PM »
Even those who are home schooled are required to follow state guidelines.

The woman quoted stated that students should not be considered to be exclusively the property of their parents. There is NO STATE in this country that subscribes to this premise. Not one. Nor should there be.'

Parents are required to educate their students responsibly according to state guidelines. That is as it should be.

The success of home schooling varies greatly from one student to another. It depends on who is doing the home schooling.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 05:23:45 PM »
The success of home schooling varies greatly from one student to another. It depends on who is doing the home schooling.

The same could be said for public school educated pupils.

Even those who are home schooled are required to follow state guidelines.

Yes and i doubt the home school teachers bellyache about meeting standards as much as those employed by government schools.

And still no data to prove that public school children on average achieve better than home schooled children on those dreaded standardized tests.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 05:25:47 PM »
"The whole promo would be laughably pretentious if it weren't so redolent of creepy collectivism.  Kids "belong" to whole communities?  What does that even mean?  Because I don't notice "the community" taking a huge interest in waking up at night when one of my children has a nightmare, or paying for a birthday party, or teaching table manners (much less the difference between right and wrong).

There's only one particular in which Ms. Harris-Perry may be right: If liberals started feeling a greater sense of social responsibility for children, maybe they wouldn't insist on keeping them trapped in failing schools . . . or pushing easy sex and even easier abortion . . . or diminishing the importance of fathers in the home.  That's the kind of "investment" that might actually make a difference.
"

Carol Platt Liebau

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2013, 08:50:50 PM »
And still no data to prove that public school children on average achieve better than home schooled children on those dreaded standardized tests.

=========================================
In Florida, home schooled students do not have to take standardized tests.

I doubt that they are required to take them in most other states, either.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2013, 10:35:51 PM »
this aint a liberal thing at all .

Ok we will agree to disagree

liberals have grown gvt so big
and debased our currency so much
that our dollars are worthless

thus it now takes two incomes
to survive....so children are
left for others to raise
school to raise our kids
parents drop off newborns at the daycare
leaving it to other to raise our kids
"others" usually dont care as much
this has all taken it's toll
strangers raising our children has it's consequences
look at the results in today's world
liberals in both parties have caused this nightmare.

also providing so much gvt help encourages
people to be reckless....
have a bunch of kids not being married
and "what the heck...i'll just get welfare/foodstamps/ect.."

liberals have created whole generations dependent on gvt
their goal as welfare pimps is to create dependency
and assure re-election by becoming "Santa Claus"

uncontrolled illegal immigration
has overwhelmed our schools, hospitals, infastructure
all costing real, legal US Citizens their RIGHT to better services and education.
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2013, 10:54:28 PM »
I think it would be hard to prove that governments in general are better judges of what is and isn't good parenting or education than the common family is.

While the structure of our familys is falling apart , can the government really pick up the slack?

Right now the USA is locking up a huge number of us , making even adults wards of the state in huge numbers.

Once the government is your parent , when does it stop being so?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2013, 11:02:34 PM »
Please. The Federal government does not run your local school. If you think it does, you are a dolt, because it clearly does not.

If you do not fancy how it is run, elect another school board. Elect people you agree with to the state legislature.

At the very most, the Feds have only focused on literacy and math skills.

It is in the interests of the society that children know basic facts and basic skills, and in many cases, parents are not capable for various reasons of providing these to their children