Author Topic: Why is this minority filled school not in the news  (Read 6579 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Why is this minority filled school not in the news
« on: May 10, 2013, 02:54:57 PM »
I checked this public school has like over 85% minorities and most with poor economic backgrounds . But all we hear is how publics school are doing badly. Ok more than half are chinese but that shouldn't mean athing. These are poor chinese with gang ties.

https://alhs-sfusd-ca.schoolloop.com/academy/biotech/overview

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Why is this minority filled school not in the news
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 03:12:28 PM »
I know this school because it's amile from my house and i had family that used to go there.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 03:13:44 PM »
I think you answered your own question, Kimba.  Not enough are of the right race.  If the media were to spend any attention, the wrong race would be getting the attention, I'm afraid
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 03:23:03 PM »
I read alot of how public school are failing but some of these school has chinese kids and i don't recall any mention them performing badly. Not trying to cause trouble.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 03:28:56 PM »
And alas, most of those public schools that are failing are predomnantly African American, not Chinese.  Not to mention the vast majority of those schools are predominantly run by Democrats and Liberals.  Just saying
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 03:57:53 PM »
Well its not exactly possible to fill many school with chinese since thiers not that many of us around. Also not exactly visible group. My town has a dwindling african amrican population;but the remaining ones are very visible . Being resposible tax payer is an invisable life.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 04:12:32 PM »
But all we hear is how publics school are doing badly.

Kimba....I'm not sure what your point is?
The public schools are failing....
But that doesnt mean every public school in America is failing.
There are exceptions to almost all rules,
But because exceptions happen doesn't mean the over-all conclusion is not right.
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 04:27:01 PM »
True
But i the overall hurts the image of  the ones that does well. I've talk to many parents who decided to not the put thier kids to public school and not a single one even knew a good public school existed. All these public complaint about the state of school hardly of ever mention that not all achools have these problems. I know one parent who believe her daughter will get raped if she puts her in school and she's the kind of person who does due deligence . But of course she goes too far on the matter. I swear i'm goona write abook on her .

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 05:44:24 PM »
American schools are not as good as they should be, but they are not failing. Failing would be if the students learned nothing useful. From a technical standpoint, a Muslim madrassa in which the sole curriculum was to memorize the Koran would be a failed school. Medieval education was certainly like this in the pre Renaissance period. Most of what was taught was nonsense. There was a Chair of Astrology at the University of Salamanca until Napoleon invaded in the early 1800's.

What we have now is a rejection by many of the right wingers like Glenn Beck that a core curriculum for the entire country is evil and should be rejected,

We will never have better schools until the essentials are universally taught everywhere: this would include oral and written English, mathematics and the basics of all the sciences for starters.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 06:42:41 PM »
American schools are not as good as they should be, but they are not failing.

Documentary Gives U.S. Schools a Failing Grade

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-6895313.html

Nearly 80 percent of New York City high school graduates
need to relearn basic skills before they can enter the City University?s
community college system.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/03/07/officials-most-nyc-high-school-grads-need-remedial-help-before-entering-cuny-community-colleges/

Report: Half of U.S. schools fail federal standards

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/education/story/2011-12-15/schools-federal-standards/51949126/1

Failing Reports on U.S. Schools
Despite billions of dollars spent in the past quarter-century,
the newest report finds high school graduation rates have
actually dropped over the last 25 years.
http://abcnews.go.com/WN/story?id=4732319&page=1
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »
Ouch

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 09:21:51 PM »
Barbara Eden went to that school.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 01:51:35 PM »
This does not mean that the students did not learn anything. It means that they did not learn enough, or the right things to succeed in college. That is why there needs to be a national core curriculum of subjects that everyone must master to graduate, and that there be adequate competency tests to assure that this happens. This has been done in other countries and could be done here.

Most of the students that entered my college were poor readers and perfectly awful at math. Few could tell me how I determined grades on tests. For example, if you missed 12 of 35 questions, what is the percentage correct? What is the grade on a ten point scale? (65.7%, D)

The college got a large grant to provide tutors and computer programs in a lab to help students. There were 35 computers and one or two tutors available from 8:00AM until 5 PM,until no one showed up before 8:00 AM for a month, then they went from 9:00 to 6:30.

There were rarely more than three students in the lab. At least 70% of the freshmen scored below the minimum HS completion requirements for the State of Florida.
Unless race has something to do with gumption, this is not a racial problem. My experience is that students do not study well or adequately, and they lack the will to challenge themselves to improve. The problem is always, what does the teacher do when a valid exam is given and 75% of the class fails? Do you fail them all?
Most school districts will fire a teacher if he fails 75% of the students.

So what happens is that grades are "curved".
I never curved any grades. I did give students a way to pass by providing an opportunity to score 100% on homework, by resubmitting it, and by giving daily grades for class participation. That way, those who missed too many classes failed themselves. I was considered to be a hard teacher.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 02:00:24 PM »
This does not mean that the students did not learn anything.

Good thing no one ever claimed that.  Xo, and his army of strawmen   ::)

It means that they did not learn enough, or the right things to succeed in college.

Which is by definition, FAILURE, despite the billions, upon billions of tax dollars we pump into the system, more poured in each and every year, after year, after year

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 02:10:56 PM »
Why don't you go fix it, genius?

The righties do not want any sort of national standards. In FL only public schools have to require that students pass a basic competency exam, and the right wingers want to give vouchers so more students can go to these non evaluated schools. The left barely understands education, the right seems to think that daily prayers to Jeezus and a return to McGuffy Readers are all we need.

The problem is that students have far more things that they can do with their time than study. When I was in elementary school, I went to the library every week and checked out three or four books, which I read cover to cover. This helped me to expand my vocabulary and my knowledge of the world. Now students play Nintendo games and master joystick tactics, which do not help with literacy, math or general knowledge.

My teachers encouraged us to read, but I did not do it because they told me, I did it because it was more exciting to read about the Hardy Boys than to  watch TV or listen to the radio. In the same way, teachers are mostly not to blame for students lack of literacy. I spent 24 hours in school, and easily 40 hours reading every week.

It is easy for a moron to judge. Solving the problem is harder, and morons are not good at it. They would prefer to beat up teachers because they insist on collective bargaining and vote for Democrats.