Author Topic: Why is this minority filled school not in the news  (Read 6578 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Why is this minority filled school not in the news
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2013, 04:56:12 PM »
What happened to no child left behind, didn't that solve all the problems? What about Hollywood Ronny, couldn't he fix this? Since 1980 we've had 20 years of Republican presidents and they couldn't solve these problems?

BSB

Perhaps the resistance by the teachers unions and the job protecting action of teaching to the test completely undermined the intended purpose of NCLB which even XO said had merits but its implementation left much to be desired.

Reagan didn't believe the fed had a role in education, he believed that function belonged to the states.

BSB

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2013, 05:41:45 PM »
What happened to no child left behind, didn't that solve all the problems? What about Hollywood Ronny, couldn't he fix this? Since 1980 we've had 20 years of Republican presidents and they couldn't solve these problems?

BSB

Perhaps the resistance by the teachers unions and the job protecting action of teaching to the test completely undermined the intended purpose of NCLB which even XO said had merits but its implementation left much to be desired.

Reagan didn't believe the fed had a role in education, he believed that function belonged to the states.

Look, if the public schools have fallen that far, over this long a period of time, we are all responsible. All of us. Republicans, Democrats, teachers, parents, unions, Christians, Buddhists, lawyers, doctors, football players, state government, federal government, everybody. Putting it at the feet of any one group is nonsense. And to correct it we all need to be on notice, and proceed accordingly.

BSB

BSB

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2013, 05:46:03 PM »
Of course right off the bat anyone can see that there aren't enough guns in the schools, or Blackhawks flying over them.

BSB

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2013, 05:46:50 PM »
If standards are left to the individual states, then we will NEVER have any national standards.

This is ONE COUNTRY, not 51. Reagan was wrong about that.

The differences between states are used by corporations to play one off against the others for freebies and tax breaks, just like the pro sports teams use the threat of moving to bilk the citizens out of tax money that could be used for better purposes.

I was thrilled that Steve Ross, the bazillionaire owner of the Dolphins failed miserably to get the state to allow him to collect hotel taxes all year to refurbish his stadium. He paid 10 million for a special election, which was called off then the state Legislature refused to allow any tax authority to be given to support stadiums. The people got so regally screwed by the Marlins that finally they managed to defeat this stupidity.

Taxing tourists to support stadiums is TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION. Tourists mostly do noit come here to watch football or any sport.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2013, 05:50:25 PM »
Unions do NOT CONTROL curriculula in any school district.

They bargain about salaries, benefits and class size. They do NOT decide what is taught.

Often, teachers unions have agreed to lower wages so that better equipment can be made available.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2013, 06:06:44 PM »
Unions do NOT CONTROL curriculula in any school district.

They bargain about salaries, benefits and class size. They do NOT decide what is taught.

They generally bankroll the folks that do, and in the process help dictate both the curriculum and the all fringe benefits & salaries, payed for by our taxes
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2013, 07:18:23 PM »

BSB

Look, if the public schools have fallen that far, over this long a period of time, we are all responsible. All of us. Republicans, Democrats, teachers, parents, unions, Christians, Buddhists, lawyers, doctors, football players, state government, federal government, everybody. Putting it at the feet of any one group is nonsense. And to correct it we all need to be on notice, and proceed accordingly.

BSB

You asked what happened with NCLB, i gave you an answer. Most of that program is still intact under Obama. Maybe he too recognizes the soft bigotry of low expectations.

BSB

« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2013, 07:31:38 PM »
Well, I don't expect much from you, but that's just realistic, not soft bigotry.

BSB

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2013, 07:58:22 PM »
My apologys for the earlyer all caps.

Soon I will be sending my computer in for warranty work and your guys will have to carry on without me for a month or so.

That the children be in competition is hardly the point, if having the children compete motivates the children then it might be a good thing , but by no means is it the only or single best motivation for children, learning is the point of school and competion should only be used when it furthers learning.

But how about competing for the children?

Schools that could cash in vouchers could profit well from attracting a greater number of children , even poor ones, so a school that gained a great reputation for teaching well could profit thereby, and schools that had lousy reputation for learning , safety , disapline or anything elese could die a death of profit starvation.

This would be power inthe hands of the people , primarily parents.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2013, 08:17:36 PM »
Well, I don't expect much from you, but that's just realistic, not soft bigotry.

BSB

Student of the Xo school of responding
#1 - argue points never made
#2 - try to change the subject
#3 - launch personal insults
#4 - repeat

You know, I really don't know why so much effort is applied to insulting others, myself included.  When Xo goes into his 3rd grade insults, or BnonameB coes into his superiorthanthou rants, what exactly does that accomplish??  Does the recipient of the response say "oh, he's right".?  Unlikely.  If anything a "zinger" is being readied to be hurled back.  Here we have a pretty good subject, but some folks are so fixated with the status quo, they don't care.  And you know when you're making headway against the "other side" when they start trying to spread the blame to everyone.  The blame is NEVER on their party or interests, its always on those greedy mean evil conservatives or those ignorant wrong leftists.  But when they can't defend the indefensible, then the blame is on everyone. 

The difference between many of us who lean right vs those on the left is that coolaide factor.  That if the circumstances were reversed, and it was Bush running things, a Condi Rice that was running the State Dept, that then altered the talking points that came out of the CIA following this Benghazi attack, we'd be expecting resignations, Rice included.  We'd be demanding resignations from the head of the IRS if they were found abusing a Federal agency in targeting liberal causes and groups 

But when it's the left, well....it's "everyone's fault", nothing could be done, just shut up, and let the Government continue to steamroll over you, dammit
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2013, 09:04:18 PM »

BSB

That's OK, your opinion of me means little in the larger scheme of things.

BSB

« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2013, 10:18:19 PM »
BT, Sirs, did you guys say something?

BSB

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2013, 11:52:06 PM »
Only something of substance and pertinence.  As such, I suppose I can understand how you missed it

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2013, 03:28:39 AM »
Wow
So much has happen since i was gone. My meds was not working so i couldn't do much.
This post gone beyond what i can respond now.

My two cents. Education has too many factors and involve too large amount of varity of kids for cookie cutter solutions. But i do wish english this countries primary language would get more attention without giving the student the impression they cant learn other languages.

By attention I mean writing clearly. No one should ever say thats good enough.

I might not be able to respond very quickly still not recovered

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2013, 10:15:02 AM »
But i do wish english this countries primary language would get more attention without giving the student the impression they cant learn other languages.

=================================================
Most English speaking Americans have studied some other language and still can't use it in any useful way, so this is simply a reflection of school boards and the education establishment., who are almost always linguistically illiterate.

Foreign language educators are mostly native speakers and have little influence.