Author Topic: Uri Avneri  (Read 1335 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Uri Avneri
« on: February 05, 2007, 11:29:39 PM »
Uri Avneri is an Israeli writer and peace activist.  He's also a very informed and eloquent voice for sanity in the Mid-East and in the world generally.  This littl excerpt is from his article in the current CounterPunch.  The major part of the article deals with the current fog of lies and bullshit being generated in advance of an attack on Iran, but the particular part that I am going to quote deals with the invasion of Iraq.  I quote it for its eloquence and also for its content, which , admittedly, is mostly if not entirely opinion:

<< . . .  Did George W. Bush and his clique of Neo-Conservatives really consider the casualties, when they decided to invade Iraq? Let's ignore for a moment the lies they spread, the fabricated stories about "weapons of mass destruction", the imaginary connections between Saddam and Osama and all the other falsehoods and deceptions. Let's concentrate only on the two real aims of the war (which we exposed at the time): (a) to get their hands on the oil of Iraq and the entire region, including the Caspian, and (b) to place an American garrison in the heart of the Middle East.

<<If Bush had to face a Board of Inquiry in Washington DC as Olmert did in Tel-Aviv, he would certainly be asked some questions (which this column asked in real time): Did you consider how many soldiers and civilians would be killed and wounded? What led you to think that the invading army would be received with showers of flowers? Why did you believe that the Air Force would determine the issue so that the ground forces would have to play only a minor role? Did you imagine that the planned little war would still be going on three years and more later? Did you take into consideration that the Iraqi state would be blown to pieces and that the three peoples living there would soon be at each other's throats? Did you expect that the war would strengthen Iran's position in the Middle East? In short, did you have any idea at all of the place that you were about to invade?

<<Clearly, nobody with any influence in the US government raised these questions at the time. A foolish and power-drunk president, a rapacious vice-president and a cabal of arrogant and ignorant ideological fanatics decided upon an adventure whose end is not in sight even now. And afterwards the statesmen and strategists went to their elegant restaurants to enjoy sumptuous meals, while the 3000 US soldiers who have been killed up to now spent the day in blissful ignorance of what was going on at the highest level. The media and the senators, of course, were ecstatic.>>

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Uri Avneri
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 02:10:00 AM »
My wild guess is that  they were thinking mainly of building a base of operations from which to invade Iran.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 02:59:42 AM »
My wild guess is that  they were thinking mainly of building a base of operations from which to invade Iran.

That may be how it is understood in Iran.

As we have made bases in Afganistan and in Iraq , I an imagine that they feel bracketed.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 10:42:53 AM »
<<As we have made bases in Afganistan and in Iraq , I an imagine that they feel bracketed.>>

That's for sure.  What are they going to do about it?