Author Topic: Nobody wants a Diplomat  (Read 1177 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Nobody wants a Diplomat
« on: February 05, 2007, 01:43:05 AM »
But the 54-year-old Moroccan diplomat left in failure.

"The help that (Iraq) should get was out of my hands," he said. "I have no desire to lie to myself or to Iraqis" — adding that he had "nothing to give."

From the start of his eight months in Baghdad, Lamani struck a different approach. He chose not to live in the city's heavily guarded Green Zone, where the U.S. and British embassies are and where many diplomats stay. He said he wanted to have "contact with all levels of Iraqis."

Distancing himself from the Green Zone also would boost his credibility with Iraq's Sunni Arab minority, which views the district as a symbol of American domination of Iraq.

The choice meant he was in constant danger, though. With no security team for the villa where he lived and worked, Lamani depended on Kurdish guards assigned to protect the Foreign Ministry next door. He traveled in an unarmored car — "many were calling me suicidal for that," he said — until the Arab League provided an armored one seven months into his mission.

He would hear mortar shells exploding at the nearby Alawi bus station — a frequent target of militants — and, when Haifa Street became a battlefield last month, he went up to his roof to watch U.S. and Iraqi troops fighting insurgents.

Throughout, Lamani was working on the main goal of his mission, which was little noticed in the West: to convene a national reconciliation conference between Iraq's fractious parties and sectarian groups, a favored project of the Arab League's secretary-general, Amr Moussa.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070204/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_defeated_diplomat

Diane

Re: Nobody wants a Diplomat
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 07:52:16 PM »
hummmn....

me thinks that this man's vision was slightly skewed. 

1. Network, Network, Network.
2. Change the system from within.

One has to think that distancing himself from the Westerners was not a good nor diplomatic way of instigating change.
and
putting oneself at risk to stand out as an example of "I am not one of them" only makes you dead or unsuccessful. 

Why he would align himself with a people that have spent a millenium at odds with each other smacks of stupidity and not diplomacy.

as always....
cro

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 03:29:22 AM »
hummmn....

me thinks that this man's vision was slightly skewed. 

1. Network, Network, Network.
2. Change the system from within.

One has to think that distancing himself from the Westerners was not a good nor diplomatic way of instigating change.
and
putting oneself at risk to stand out as an example of "I am not one of them" only makes you dead or unsuccessful. 

Why he would align himself with a people that have spent a millenium at odds with each other smacks of stupidity and not diplomacy.

as always....
cro

Ah , but now no one can say that this method was not given a try.

Diane

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 08:11:26 AM »
This method has been given many a try.... as has his method.

However, I state that the method that I mentioned has met some success and lots of failure.  The difference is the predictability of his.  Notoriety.

we can always do more than I

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 10:57:09 AM »
Lamani was totally lacking in credibility, representing a right-wing dictatorship nominally disguised as a "constitutional" monarchy.  That the neo-colonial patron of his regime supposedly is France and not the USA gives him at best a marginal claim on credibility, but most Iraqis are smart enough to figure out the kind of interests he represents and, with the exception of the current puppet regime, smart enough to say "Thanks but no thanks" to his efforts.

The real diplomacy has to be directed towards healing the Shi'a-Sunni rift and the Persian-Arab rift, which is the key to the success to date of the former colonial powers in keeping the entire region in bondage to themselves and their Zionist "agents" (in quotes because it's not always apparent which is the agent and which the principal.)  My question is, is there any such diplomacy in motion, and if so, where does it come from and how's it doing?

I realize that "healing the rift" is perhaps overly optimistic.  How about just settling for the moment for presenting a united front to foreigners and/or destroying the existing oligarchies?  To me it's just so obvious that they are getting fucked again and again and they are making it so easy for the  foreigners basically because of their own internal discord.