Author Topic: The Worst of Both Worlds  (Read 8351 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Worst of Both Worlds
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2013, 07:37:55 PM »
On every major front, this legislation fails to deliver on its core promises. It delivers only for the special interest groups who helped write it. Should it pass, it would represent the ultimate triumph of the Washington elite over the everyday citizen to whom Congress properly owes its loyalty. -- Jeff Sessions
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2013, 09:04:56 PM »
The "worst of both worlds" is quite literally Liberal Democrats in control of this country's Government, and Conservative Republicans put into a permanent minority status. (see California)  That's what this bill, in its current form, is all about, and why Democrats like Schumer & Reid are looking to block any attempt alter its current form.  Rubio has invested too much effort to not back "Comprehensive Immigration Reform", while messers Graham & McCain have always been advocating some form of amnesty, oops, CIR.  This has nothing to do with Republicans not wanting to pass immigration reform, merely that such reform starts with border/law enforcement.  After that, the rest will fairly fall into place without the addition of a permanent GOP Minority. -- Sirs
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2013, 12:23:47 AM »
Jeff Sessions is a bigoted moron. No one needs clowns like him in the Senate. He is an embarrassment to even Alabama.

It is amusing to see these dinosaurs desperately trying to cling to the past.It calls to mind a T Rex trying to do pushups.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2013, 12:39:27 AM »
SOP...name calling, on top of more immature name calling, on top of still more

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2013, 11:23:51 AM »
I wonder if eventually we'll all just become citizens of the world?

How does a patriot of the world behave?

BSB

« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2013, 03:28:14 PM »
"How does a patriot of the world behave?"

Well, just how does a patriot of the world behave?

BSB

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2013, 07:02:42 PM »
I think Plane asked 1st.  Good question too.  What do you think?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2013, 07:19:58 PM »
"How does a patriot of the world behave?"

Well, just how does a patriot of the world behave?

BSB
This is too Zen for me .

But from a Christian perspective we can all be brothers as we all can be brothers in Christ and God loved us all even before Christ.

This has not been enough to prevent an million bloody fights , but perhaps there was an million more that did not happen because of this potential of brotherly love.

I can't really know.

But I would have to guess that a patriot of the world would have to be a very tolerant fellow.

BSB

« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2013, 07:44:06 PM »
I have news for you Plane, we already all are citizens of the world. So just look at your own actions for the answer to your question.

BSB

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2013, 08:37:57 PM »
Interesting non-answer     ???

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2013, 09:46:04 PM »
  Does "citizen of the world " carry more weight than "citizen of the universe"?

Either way there is an implacation of responsibility and relationship that has no force or benefit.

BSB

« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2013, 10:02:38 PM »
There is no benefit in, or force behind, seeing yourself as a citizen of the world?

BSB

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2013, 10:35:36 PM »
There is no benefit in, or force behind, seeing yourself as a citizen of the world?

BSB

I could be wrong about this , what do you think?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2013, 12:48:06 AM »
i guess we would have to define citizen to get closer to an answer.

BSB

« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2013, 02:23:37 AM »
"i guess we would have to define citizen to get closer to an answer. "

Right, and I don't mean it legally necessarily. Although at some juncture I'm pretty sure that will happen. I mean it in terms of us all being subject to the same causes and conditions as human beings living and dying on this planet. We are all made of the same material. We all come and go. We are all connected in the most fundamental of ways. It may not appear that way much of the time, but that is the truth of it. All of us who are alive at this very second are all going to come to the same end no matter the specific cause. We are all, pretty much, threatened by the same diseases. Subject to the same outcomes and so forth. This should not be minimized. Our commonalities should be upmost in our minds, not our superficial differences.

BSB

BSB