Author Topic: Talk about a great scam  (Read 1167 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Talk about a great scam
« on: June 16, 2013, 12:10:29 PM »
It's actually worst for some students since some school classes require a internship so technically interns are paying to work in internships.

The afford to work for free is not quite true. It didn't mention debt.

http://news.yahoo.com/employment-experts-predict-wave-lawsuits-unpaid-interns-192615927.html

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Talk about a great scam
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 01:12:15 AM »
"You signal to employers that you aren't worth that much if you're willing to work for nothing," Eisenbrey said.

With this kind of thinking you wonder how people get hired at all and if the right oes get in

BSB

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 02:27:04 AM »
My godson just got through an internship, he's going into his junior year in college, in NYC. I'll have to ask him about this.

BSB

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 07:11:20 AM »
This article is the second time mentioning non-paid internship is not worth it. Meaning it's getting notable .

BSB

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 06:12:21 PM »
Yeah, I heard it mention before also. Frankly I don't know what to think. I know in my Godson's case just the experience, and connections gained, make it well worth it regardless of pay. But I suppose that would be the company line.

BSB

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 11:49:50 PM »
I would use it as a cautionary tale. Know if you take a unpaid internship use it for the knowledge not as a stepping stone. Note I did not say experience.

Upon reflection I sort of did a internship,I volunteered at a veternary hospital. All grunt work that anybody can do and truthfully nothing i learned was useful toward my studies. But the experience is good for character building. I learn to deal with pain and death much better by being exposed to it alot. Sounds bad but i'm actually glad for the experience

BSB

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 03:06:13 AM »
"Upon reflection I sort of did a internship,I volunteered at a veternary hospital. All grunt work that anybody can do and truthfully nothing i learned was useful toward my studies. But the experience is good for character building. I learn to deal with pain and death much better by being exposed to it alot. Sounds bad but i'm actually glad for the experience"

There's nothing like experience.

BSB

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 07:56:30 AM »
Experience is strange thing. At my job i work with college students who are smarter and faster than me. Can easily run circles around me on the computer. But my experiences makes me stand out alot more than any of them. At my age I can finally define whats experiences is, we don't dont screw up as much. I have a very low failure rate compared to these whipper snappers. All that speed doesnt mean much if they spend most of it redoing it.  I'm working with literal genuises here and they have tons more knwledge and ability but they mess up quite abit.

BSB

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 01:11:52 PM »
Concentration is not youths strong point.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 03:25:56 PM »
Hmm
I gotta wonder are they as distracted with video games?

BSB

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 03:27:20 PM »
They just are distracted. Yet, on the other hand, they can graduate from medical school, put a fighter down on the deck of a pitching aircraft-carrier, at night, and do all sorts of very difficult things.

BSB
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 03:35:25 PM by noname »

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 03:53:07 PM »
Med students play video games? How they find time? Those guys are known for having little downtime.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 12:55:41 AM »
It's getting more public how useless non-paid internship

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/06/do-unpaid-internships-lead-to-jobs-not-for-college-students/276959/

Just an hour ago on the radio it was announced some school are giving money to help kids who can't afford these internships. As i stated before some classes require an internship but if those are nonpaid then that mean the student paid to work for free