Author Topic: Conceiled carry Open carry  (Read 4359 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Conceiled carry Open carry
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 04:04:10 AM »
A serious revolver. Freedom Arms does really great work.

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/freedom-arms-1997-45-lc-pr23938/

Very nice, but I really like my SigSauer, and have gotten pretty proficient with it.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 02:59:03 PM »
That made no sense.  He asked about brainstorming ideas.  I referenced the notion (possible plan) of providing opportunity to incentivise potential CCW holders, with improved access to Safety Courses and firearms training, such as IDPA.  So, it was never Plane's idea, as it relates to IDPA

Would you like to provide some ideas to bring about a goal of 5% of the population as being CCW holders?  THAT would be Plane's idea

Yes , but I wouldn't mind hearing about some other ideas that would discurage violent crime.

Cameras everywhere?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 03:05:06 PM »
That made no sense.  He asked about brainstorming ideas.  I referenced the notion (possible plan) of providing opportunity to incentivise potential CCW holders, with improved access to Safety Courses and firearms training, such as IDPA.  So, it was never Plane's idea, as it relates to IDPA

Would you like to provide some ideas to bring about a goal of 5% of the population as being CCW holders?  THAT would be Plane's idea

Yes , but I wouldn't mind hearing about some other ideas that would discurage violent crime.

Me too, which is why I asked B, and will be patiently awaiting his input

Cameras everywhere?

Not as much a deterrent as improved evidence for subsequent trials
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 03:13:36 PM »
When you are brainstorming , ideas that are pretty wild and unrealistic can be thrown in , from some such better ideas and more practical ideas sprout.

Suppose I reccomended that we train a lot of undercover cops to wander around looking like easy marks, I know that undercover cops are not cheap so there will always be a limit on the utility of ideas like this.

But what if the next idea was to hang alarms on easy marks , such that when they are attacked it is never long before the police know.

Still not a practical idea , but there is movment in the direction of an idea that is useable.

What would you think if a policeman told you that you looked like easy meat , and said" Would you wear this monitor so that we will know instantly when a mugger trys to harvest you?"?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 03:41:12 PM »
When you are brainstorming , ideas that are pretty wild and unrealistic can be thrown in , from some such better ideas and more practical ideas sprout.

Absolutely.......and I don't want to say I'm trying to shoot down the idea of cameras.  Merely giving you my 2 cents on how potentially applicable the idea is, from my limited perspective.  So don't think any critisim is designed to cease any brainstorming ideas.  If anything, to possibly narrow the parameters, perhaps

Let's play with the camera idea a bit....perhaps technology can be improved upon which doesn't focus so much on facial recognition, but more on weapon identification.  Let's say a camera spots someone with a gun, identifies it as such, and initiates a program that alerts all the other nearby cameras to lock on to that subject.  The software would have to be able to identify a police officer from some person brandishing a gun.  And most importantly, this information is made public so as the bad guys are fully aware they're going to be seen & recorded.  THAT becomes the deterrent

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 05:05:53 PM »
I think that is possible , and it might even be possible to put transponders in guns that activate locators based on cell phone tecnology.

Would gun owners want their guns to be that easily located?

Just the thing if your gun gets stolen , but contrary to the purpose of guns being the resorce of resistance.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 05:39:10 PM »
I think that is possible , and it might even be possible to put transponders in guns that activate locators based on cell phone tecnology.

Would gun owners want their guns to be that easily located?

No they wouldn't.  Far too easily for that kind of technology, in the hands of a more oppressive Government, to be used for confiscation.....in the name of security and "if it saves just 1 life" mantra.  No, I think if we could just focus on identifying a person with a deadly weapon, has the potential for passage and provide the deterrence you're looking for, while not providing Government the tools for easier tracking of the law abiding

BSB

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2013, 06:25:10 PM »
"Very nice, but I really like my SigSauer, and have gotten pretty proficient with it."

That wasn't for you sirs. You don't have the imagination, style, or talent, for a revolver like that.

BSB

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2013, 06:32:58 PM »
LOL....yea, you're  probably right.  That's more the revolver for folks who simply get their rocks off at shooting human targets

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2013, 07:16:05 PM »
A serious revolver. Freedom Arms does really great work.

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/freedom-arms-1997-45-lc-pr23938/

I do like the type , but the price puts it out of consideration.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Dan-Wesson-Model-15-2-357-Magnum.cfm?gun_id=100347950
I used to have one of these Dan Wesson 357 replaceable barrell revolvers.
I really liked it and the potential for trying diffrent barrell lengths was intreagueing.
Best of all I bought it used and didn't pay too much.
When I needed to sell I got almost all the money back at a Pawn shop.

I have to believe that reasonable quality can be had a a reasonable price.

Early in the history of Guns , dependable guns were possessions of the wealthy only, I think that in the future cheaper guns will grow more dependable .

That has been the trend ;1540 the king can afford the state of the art, 1994 I can afford one of the best.

http://www.bridgemanart.com/asset/424574/German-School-16th-century/Wheel-lock-breech-loading-gun-of-King-Henry-VIII-?search_context=%7B%22url%22%3A%22%5C%2Fsearch.aspx%3Fkey%3D%24AMR%26filter%3DCBPOIHV%26sl%3Dgb%22%2C%22filter%22%3A%7B%22filter_text%22%3A%22%24AMR%22%2C%22filter_searchoption_id%22%3A%224%22%2C%22filter_assetstatus_id%22%3A1%2C%22filter_prev_text%22%3A%22%24AMR%22%7D%2C%22num_results%22%3A%22683%22%2C%22sort_order%22%3A%22best_relevance%22%2C%22search_type%22%3A%22search_assets%22%2C%22item_index%22%3A57%7D

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2013, 07:26:39 PM »
Eventually, I'll invest in a nice long barreled ornate Peacemaker, for the apparent lack in style I have    8)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2013, 07:32:16 PM »
Now

If I could spend a lot , I might get something fancy.
But I don't expect to buy one of these.
SIG-MPX Introduction Video Version 2

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2013, 07:45:36 PM »

Absolutely.......and I don't want to say I'm trying to shoot down the idea of cameras.  Merely giving you my 2 cents on how potentially applicable the idea is, from my limited perspective.  So don't think any critisim is designed to cease any brainstorming ideas.  If anything, to possibly narrow the parameters, perhaps

Let's play with the camera idea a bit....perhaps technology can be improved upon which doesn't focus so much on facial recognition, but more on weapon identification.  Let's say a camera spots someone with a gun, identifies it as such, and initiates a program that alerts all the other nearby cameras to lock on to that subject.  The software would have to be able to identify a police officer from some person brandishing a gun.  And most importantly, this information is made public so as the bad guys are fully aware they're going to be seen & recorded.  THAT becomes the deterrent

I think it possible to develop algorythyms that can determine the caricteristic postures of criminals .

Policemen and Criminals often recognise each other , by the alertness that is developed and isn't easy to really hide.

This is pretty stubtle stuff for a dependable machine , but everything that a person can sense a machine can sense also , it just becomes a matter of refinement.

At bank doors and the walkway  ramps of airports cameras could determine that you were shifty eyed and flag your person for further attention.

I think there would be a lot of false positives for policemen are often just as alert as their quarry.

But most people go about their day absent from their selves thinking about somewhere they are not, this much hay could be removed from the hay stack.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2013, 08:15:51 PM »
How much of a deterrent factor do you think this could be?

BSB

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2013, 08:33:15 PM »
"I do like the type , but the price puts it out of consideration."

You're going to pay for a Freedom Arms revolver no matter, let alone a special order. I don't know of anyone manufacturing firearms today who makes a better single action revolver. They're the best.

Collectors Firearms, where that revolver is, runs a little high. I bought a bisley style, 7and 1/2 inch, super blackhawk in 45 long colt from them several years ago. It had been worked on by Turnbull, had antique ivory grips, beautiful. Because I liked it so much I met their price. But in so doing I paid probably 10% more than it was worth on the open market. For me though, it was worth every penny.   

You can take a look at Turnbull's work here:

http://www.turnbullmfg.com/store.asp?pid=20793