Author Topic: How much disadvantage is being dark skinned?  (Read 1216 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How much disadvantage is being dark skinned?
« on: April 25, 2014, 12:49:02 AM »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: How much disadvantage is being dark skinned?
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 08:13:18 AM »
She is a great actress and was chosen for this role because she was dark, because her appearance fit the role.  Titles such as "most beautiful" are subjective. She is beautiful because of the various proportions of her features. Had she not been in the film, she would never have been considered. I would say that People chose her for this title because they wanted to make people think.  Black people have a term for those who favor lighter skinned people: "color struck". In the movies, the men are usually darker than the women.  In photography, if you adjust the brightness and contrast to show a dark person's features, it tends to make White people resemble ghosts.

In the US, being dark and having nappy hair are huge disadvantages for women. The hair nearly everyone modifies in some way. 

There are all sorts of you tube comments on this subject in which Black women discuss this.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 11:05:18 AM »
hmm

nitpicking

lately I do noticed more mixed african actress on the screen than actuall african-american actresses. ex. the two ladies linked so far. meaning beauty standards has possibly shifted away from blacks but more to recent african descendants.

meaning halle berry is getting less attention nowadays

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 02:43:37 PM »
Halle Berry has been in five films in the last two years. I am pretty sure that this is a lot more employment than the average 48 years old actress.

She has made a LOT of money, and perhaps feels she does not have to work as hard as before. Investing your money, when you have several million and a good adviser, can easily bring in more than a lot of gigs.  Still, five films in two years is a very respectable workload. A lot of Black actors and actresses make films that cater to Black people that you might not hear about, like all those Tyler Perry movies.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 03:07:23 PM »
true

I do notice abit more black centric stuff and more power to them but i wished they go into more scifi. ex. m.a.n.t.i.s.

not saying halle is starving but the spotlight is that shining less on black actresses and going toward actresses of more direct african lineage

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 08:43:24 PM »
not my type I lean toward ella thomas

https://www.google.com/search?q=elle+thomas&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=4eJZU7KmJ4GMyATrwYKYCA&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=910#q=ella+thomas&tbm=isch&imgdii=_

Yes that is pretty.

It is hard to dictate to someone what they should like.

I like what I have , I have learned that I can .

I know that in years past there was a proverb that we do not hear anymore, :"Like a Pearl in an Ethiopes ear" : this was meant to convey a sense of futility and waste in someone dark skinned trying to look pretty as adornment was not going to overcome the inherent repulsiveness of being black.

I haven't seen this phrase used in anything written since WWII , I think that the "black is beautiful "   meme is winning.

I think this is a matter of training , and the training is mostly positive during my lifetime.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 09:19:15 PM »
but then lately I find hannah simone very very attractive. but I found out people find her just ok looking. so I can`t say i know what`s popular on beauty standards

https://www.google.com/search?q=hannah+simone&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Ev9aU5SSDtWiyASLrYHADg&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=910

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 10:09:27 PM »
 That is a good point!

How is what is popular decided on ?

There is real money in appealing to many , so there is media effort to lead our tastes.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 01:33:05 AM »
leading taste ,yes

controling beauty standards would be incredibly profitable and it does happen. I`ll use me as an example I do hesitate saying publicly who I find attractive out of fear it`s not quite inline with the normal. but I do take advantage of the limits of the beauty trend and joke about it. Ex. I can say publicly I don`t care for the stick girls that are popular these days.

jennifer lawrence was never unattractive but she got call fat for doing hunger games. this showed the limit on how much influence on beauty standards.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 04:57:06 PM »
What is called a beautiful face and body is determined by the relative proportions of facial features and to a lesser degree, parts of the body. When it comes to saying that one girl is prettier than another, that is a question of taste.  Really dark Black people and albinos are probably not going to be considered the most beautiful by the vast majority of people. Some people are too white or too black to be considered photogenic.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 07:45:11 PM »
  Are agencies that tell people what is beautiful think they are generating something .

Are they training us?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 02:07:24 AM »
training .no
but giving not so subtle clues,yes

but we are still master of most of our taste. we can be nudged to tolerate kate bosworth but to outright be attracted to her. so so