Author Topic: Goodbye High Costs in California - Hello To Texas!  (Read 1426 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Goodbye High Costs in California - Hello To Texas!
« on: April 28, 2014, 10:49:44 AM »

Report: Toyota moving U.S. sales group to Texas

By Chris Woodyard, USA TODAY

April 28, 2014

LOS ANGELES -- Toyota is moving its national headquarters from the Los Angeles suburbs to Plano, Texas, Automotive News reports, based on unnamed sources.

The move will affect most of the 5,000 employees based Toyota's sprawling campus in Torrance, the News says. The U.S. operation has been based in Southern California for 57 years. Executives were told Friday and rank-and-file employees will be told Monday.

Reached for response late Sunday, Toyota spokeswoman Julie Hamp said she will "not comment on rumor and speculation."

Once Southern California was the U.S. home to Japan's Big 3 -- Toyota, Nissan and Honda. Then Nissan announced it was leaving for Smyrna, Tenn., in 2005 and Honda started moving executives to Ohio last year.

Toyota makes its pickup trucks in San Antonio. Having closed a California manufacturing plant -- the site was taken over by Tesla -- Toyota's manufacturing plants are concentrated in the South and East.

But known for its hybrids and other "green" technologies, Toyota's spiritual home seemed to be firmly rooted in Southern California.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/04/28/toyota-move-texas/8358361/
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Goodbye High Costs in California - Hello To Texas!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 12:29:32 PM »
hmm

green tech by nature is very costly. any bets some will vacate california.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 01:11:27 PM »
That's a pretty safe bet
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 02:28:41 PM »
My guess is that this was motivated by tax breaks by the Texas state government. Now they can raise CU4's taxes to make up the difference. It is typical of companies to play one state off against another, offering free facilities and tax breaks for years and years.

The state simply taxes the rest of the taxpayers to pay for the access roads and other goodies required.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 10:04:17 PM »
My guess is that this was motivated by tax breaks by the Texas state government.

And several other reasons, like less gvt interference with running day to day business,
a pro-business attitude from state gvt instead of an anti-business approach.
In both 2012 and 2013, Texas was ranked the best state for business in a survey conducted by
Chief Executive. California was ranked 50th. Last year, CNBC ranked California 47th on the same measure
while Texas was ranked 2nd.

And the cost of living being lower, which includes much cheaper housing & NO state income tax for their employees.

Now they can raise CU4's taxes to make up the difference.
The state simply taxes the rest of the taxpayers to pay for the access roads and other goodies required.

Wrong again.
We will get 5000 new sales tax payers
5000 new homeowners
5000 new people at grocery stores.
5000 new people buying cars.
5000 new people calling plumbers, electricians, pest control x 1000
My taxes wont go up a dime.
This is a HUGE plus and you just cant admit people flee your liberal crap.
Keep dreaming companies moving THOUSANDS of employees here is somehow a net negative for me!
Ha Ha....what a joke!

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 10:07:13 PM »

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 12:12:14 AM »
As a californian I can backup CU statement and add california has aggresively been trying to lure businesses in but simply can't due to cost . Don't forget a growing anti-coporate enviroment thats growing. San francisco protest google buses and oakland physically attacks them

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 12:14:17 AM »
I know i sound like I made that up

http://crooksandliars.com/2013/12/breaking-protesters-attack-google-bus-west

Note the key word gentrification. It's a semi-offensive word basicly meaning keeping the streets clean making the neighborhood nice looking. Thats how screwed up the people is here.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 12:19:33 AM by kimba1 »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 03:44:34 PM »
Lower taxes are generally a good idea, much as higher pay is generally worth going for.

There are exceptions , but hardly enough to invalidate the rule.

I think the Texas policy is wiser than the California policy, and time will tell.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 01:10:43 AM »
the only problem those companies will have is staffing . I`ve not heard that state having sufficent people to sustain those company (talent wise). meaning a collateral business will be needed to recruit silicon valley talent to go to texas to staff it. I`m not saying texas doesn`t have a booming tech economy but it`s definately younger and not likely large enough to fill the growing  demands just yet.

remember the present requirements today are so high that companys are not training people anymore and only hire ready to work . meaning massive amounts of silicon valley talents ready togo to texas

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 06:26:23 AM »
  Has TI (Texas Instruments ) had this problem?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 06:34:11 AM »
Time has already told. The educational level in Texas is far below that in California among people born in these states. Texas has the poorest counties in the USA, and among the poorest medical treatment.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 10:49:36 AM »
Not sure what your using as your "source" professor, but when you pull up site after site, ranking education, on a state by state basis, CA is consistently BELOW TX.  I really don't think you want to go there, especially with the results that the LAUSD (Los Angeles Unified School District) keeps providing
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 02:11:23 PM »
wrong data. education in the state is not a true indicator of the skills levels/type of an area. california  due to silicon valley and various other qualities ex. san francisco attracts people of a certain abilities.

I`ll state again texas does has a tech base but it`s still in it`s early stage nowhere comparable to california so the talent pool is still largely in california . meaning texas local talent resources is not sufficient and will for at least afew yea

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 02:19:50 PM »
KIMBA.....if...what you say is true...I assure there will be no problem recruiting talented niche people to relocate to Texas. Hell lots of people already do this. In fact Texas has had millions of people across the United States moving here for years. And actually that wouldn't be a bad thing to have a new influx of brainy people relocating to Texas. It's a win/win no doubt about it. The schools XO is crowing about will not be the schools top talent send their kids to anyway.