Author Topic: Mark Cuban  (Read 1433 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Mark Cuban
« on: May 22, 2014, 06:18:44 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/dallas-mavericks-owner-mark-cuban-admits-prejudiced-bigoted/story?id=23828818

"The thing that scares me about this whole thing is I don't want to be a hypocrite and I think I might have to be,"- Mark Cuban

Makes a good point.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Mark Cuban
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 10:05:18 AM »
By definition, judging a Black guy in a hoodie or a tattooed bald guy is prejudice. You are pre-judging this person as a potential threat.

Crossing the street to avoid confrontation, however is not a racist act, and should not require any apology. Avoiding guys in hoodies is not a racist act. Shooting them is.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 07:26:24 PM »
Avoiding guys in hoodies is not a racist act. Shooting them is.

Agreed 100%.  Only time you shoot anyone, hoodie or no hoodie, is when you yourself are being attacked, which may leave you on the ground, scrambling for your life
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 07:43:40 PM »
By definition, judging a Black guy in a hoodie or a tattooed bald guy is prejudice. You are pre-judging this person as a potential threat.

Crossing the street to avoid confrontation, however is not a racist act, and should not require any apology. Avoiding guys in hoodies is not a racist act. Shooting them is.

I disagree.

Avoiding someone on account of race is prejudice and does qualify as a racist act.

Attacking someone might or might not be racist, this is assault and is just as harmful when it is motivated by something other than race. Assaults motivated by race must amount to less than a tenth of all assaults. (I make this assumption based on the idea that 90% of all violence happens between persons of the same race.)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 04:14:19 AM »
al sharpton has in the past admitted he would get nervous seeing a black teen at night.just saying

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 04:28:04 PM »
Walking across the street is not a racist act if you feel threatened. 

Excluding people of some race from a social event based on fear is racist, but simply avoiding a confrontation is not racist.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 04:36:35 PM »

Who said it was?  I distinctly referenced if you're being attacked.  Can't get much more threatening than that

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 04:53:30 PM »

Who said it was?  I distinctly referenced if you're being attacked.  Can't get much more threatening than that

I said it was , if on the basis of racial awareness you feel threatened , that isn't racist?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 05:32:34 PM »
IF, being the key word.  If its a "white in a hoodie", looking just as ominous/nefarious, I'm moving across the street myself.  Nothing racist, in the least.  If its a black, wearing a nice cardigan sweater with matching gloves, and you feel you need to move to the other side of the street, that could be considered motivated by a racist predisposition, I suppose

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 07:12:39 PM »
Suppose a Gypsy spots a dent in your fender and offers to fix it for $20.  Is it racist to turn him down, just because you ha

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 07:21:39 PM »
As I have mentioned earlier, one of the ways that a bad guy in any TV series of movie was depicted was to play omionous music ans=d put a hoodie on the mugger or the gangbanger. It is part of the culture that every American understands, including the guy with the hoodie as well as people who do not own hoodies. Of course, a hoodie is also useful if you venture out in a light drizzle, as it will keep your head dryer.

Guys in hoodies, guys with neck tattoos, Nazis with monocles and saber scars on their cheeks, Indians in warbonnets, unshaven riders with balck hats, these are all stereotypes, not only to the "respectable" middle class folks, but to the people having these attributes as well.

You can see crossing the street to avoid a confrontation as racist as you wish., but I do not.

If a Gypsy offers to fix a $200 dent in your fender for $40 and is driving a car with several big dents, is it racist to turn him down?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 07:39:47 PM »
Suppose a Gypsy spots a dent in your fender and offers to fix it for $20.  Is it racist to turn him down, just because you ha

??

Of course, a hoodie is also useful if you venture out in a light drizzle, as it will keep your head dryer.

Just make sure you make no attempt to surprise someone in a threatening manner, or worse, try to attack anyone.  They'd be absolutely justified in defending themselves.  With lethal force, even

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 12:33:56 AM »
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 08:32:42 AM »
  Making judgments on a person based on his race is racist, or define racist to me in better terms.

What does a person wear as a message to onlookers?

Do people wear things that bear the message "leave me alone"?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2014, 02:32:27 PM »
Making judgments on a person based on his race is racist, or define racist to me in better terms.

I think I already provided the "if" part.  If you're making decisions purely on skin color, than yea, that can be considered a racist predisposition.  If you're making decisions based on several factors, that may include race, than that's far less likely a racist mindset.