Author Topic: Somebody needs to stop these evil, conservative, racist, billionaires!!  (Read 905 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
What are colleges doing with all the money?

How much does college really have to cost?

If the Koch brothers gift would educate twenty five or fifty persons to have degrees that wouldn't otherwise, pretty good.

But if their gift would educate a couple of thousand at the same cost , excellent.

The cost of education coming down would open it to everyone .

No , I don't know how to accomplish this , might as well laud the generous who open the gates a bit wider, rather then morn over the unknown reasons that the gates are narrowing generally.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Boy....how racist an act is this??  Ranks right up there with burning churches, right?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
What the UNCF does is pay far too many administrators at colleges like the one I taught at for 33 years.
Administrators made about 20% n more at my college than people with the same job descriptions at Miami Dade College, FIU or FAU, where the enrollment is at least 10 times as high. Most of the full time faculty earn about 2/3rds than half what they would earn at MDC, FIU and FAU.
Most of the incoming freshmen are gone within two semesters. About 40% attend fewer than half the class sessions.
Most of the graduates are students who have transferred in from mostly public colleges where they were normally below average.
The best students tend to be from the Virgin Islands, the British Caribbean and Africa.
Of 100 who begin this fall at the school where I taught, 14 will graduate with a BA degree before the end of 2019.

This is typical for most UNCF colleges. Fisk, Spelman and Morehouse have higher standards and attract better students9by which ones that attend class.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
What the UNCF does is pay far too many administrators at colleges.......................

Seriously?

I knew there was a problem , but I wouldn't have guessed that the rate of success was so low.

Can a university get along with less administration and more teachers and students on the same money?

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
Plane it is not only the UNCF that has dropout problems. More than 70 percent of Americans matriculate at a four-year college, but less than two-thirds end up graduating. If you include community colleges, the graduation rate drops to 53 percent.
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
If you look at it from another angle colleges are in the  dropout businesses and if you think about it very little if not no effort has been made to stop it.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Dropout rates at community colleges are not all that relevant.

I am a community college dropout.

I was interested in desktop publishing because we were doing a newsletter, so I signed up for some classes in the printing industry program at MDCC. I learned a lot, but I did not need a degree, so after I had learned what I wanted to learn, I dropped out.

I signed up for some Computer Assisted Instruction c;lasses at Barry University in 1984. I took four classes and realized that I was not going to learn what I needed to know to write language ed software, so I dropped out. The program was basically a sham. I realized this when they had me taking a class in a useless computer language called Pascal. The instructor could not complete the assignments she gave, and there is no way in Pascal to incorporate speech recognition.

I would say that the Kochs are giving what to them is a pittance to sweeten their poor public image. 

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
The administration was filled with self-important people who were essentially useless, because they had no power and no budget.

There were some fundraisers who did a pretty good job,

Recruiters had a hard job, because the really accomplished Black students could get a full scholarship from lots of better known colleges, and all we could offer was a half scholarship. Years ago, there were many good reasons for majority Black colleges, but in recent years, they are more and more irrelevant, since they tend to attract students that have flunked out of other colleges because they were lazy or did not study enough. When I was working on my BA I spend 15-18 hours in classrooms and labs and 40 hours studying, and most of the time I had a job of some sort. My students mostly only studied before tests. I was considered a hard teacher, but a fair one, because I calculated grades numerically exactly as I said in the syllabus. There are two main activities in leaning a language: memorizing the words  (vocabulary), and learning how to use them in sentences (syntax and grammar) To learn either, it requires memorization and practice. No professor can learn words for you.

What does an instructor do when students refuse to buy the book and will not study? I forced them to bring a book by giving pop quizzes that required the textbook. I had students who failed every single pop quiz, but most passed at least some of them.

Other instructors dumbed down the materials to the Jr high level, I am not kidding. As an instructor, you have to pass at least half of the students or you will be out of a job. In high school, everyone passes, because Dade Co. schools tells you that if you fail more than 6% of the class, you need to submit a time consuming form called an "override" To many overrides and you are out of a job.  If attendance is 60%, how can anyone justify passing 94% of the class? But they like the job, so they do.

One speech teacher who had taught at a community college  followed the curriculum he has used before in Maryland. He failed about 80% of each class. he lasted two years. The problem he had was that students had to present four speeches during the semester. Half the students deliberately missed on the day they were scheduled to speak. Other teachers allowed students to come into his office up to final week and give the speech to him alone, with no audience. This guy refused. He was a bit of a Black nationalist and said that no one should ever get a pass because of race, and not showing up in a class should be treated the same way as not showing up at a job: you don't get paid and there are no second chances. He was a real straight shooter. We all admired him. But in two years, he was gone.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
I would say that the *insert any and every wealthy Dem donor here* are giving what to them is a pittance to sweeten their poor public image.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle