Author Topic: The constitution in color  (Read 950 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The constitution in color
« on: June 28, 2014, 10:10:50 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/United-States-Constitution-Graphic-Adaptation/dp/1610660250/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329099725&sr=8-1&tag=vig-20

After releasing a variety of graphic works based on licensed bestselling business and motivational titles, Round Table Companies is turning to the educational market and releasing The Constitution. The full-color work includes the full text of the U.S. Constitution, brought to life by illustrations that examine its creation.

Round Table Companies is best known for its line of Round Table Comics, comic adaptations of bestselling business titles

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: The constitution in color
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 11:43:46 PM »

http://astore.amazon.com/theillguitola-20/detail/0393324036

The Cartoon History of the Universe III: From the Rise of Arabia to the Renaissance (Cartoon History of the Modern World)
By Larry Gonick

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 12:08:06 AM »
Larry Gonick is great.

The Constitution in color bit is silly`A Balck guy as one of the Founding Fathers? Puh-lease! And what is it with the dumbass ray guns?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 01:01:21 AM »
 I saw Tomas Alva Edison on that same page which would be an anachronism if it was supposed to be contemporary  with the writing of the Constitution. I think that the characters holding futuristic weapons in old period costume was cute , it conveys the applicability of the idea of patents being applicable for a lot of time. The representation of a Black Congressman is an anachronism the way that Tomas A. Edison would be , unless the span of time is the applicable period of the Constitution rather than just its writing period.

ALSO

Black people among the founding fathers should not be written out , even if their role has been erased in the past.
Check out this crew.

Benjamin Banneker,

Lemuel Haynes,

Peter Salem,

Prince Estabrook,

Prince Whipple,

James Armistead,

Wentworth Cheswell,

Absalom Jones,

William Nell ,

Jack Sisson ,

Barton said one of the things that opened his eyes to the role black Americans have played in our history was a time when he was at the Texas state capitol and, between some meetings, he went exploring.  He went back underneath a stairway and found some posters or paintings of various legislatures from years past.   He said some of these were from times when the state legislature was 60-70% black Americans.  He took down some of their names and looked them up, finding they had served in the early days of Texas.  Matthew Gaines was one of them; he was a black state senator who started the first faith-based program in the state.

Barton said he had found this type of “hidden history” in many of the old Confederate states, where the “losers wrote history” by covering up the history of contributions made by black Americans.

http://www.dakotavoice.com/2010/05/americas-black-founding-fathers/

http://docsouth.unc.edu/neh/nell/nell.html

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 01:23:29 PM »
There were many influential Black people in the early days, but it is a gross exaggeration to say that they could be called "Founding Fathers".

Of the first ten presidents, seven actually owned slaves. and only the two Adamses were vigorously opposed to slavery.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 01:40:48 PM »
There were many influential Black people in the early days, but it is a gross exaggeration to say that they could be called "Founding Fathers".

Why so?

The few that made it to influential status overcame severe social disadvantage to be considered influential. What is the point in belittling them?

The founding of this country was coincidental to the abolitionist movement which began in England before here and achieved a lot of success before our Civil War and continued until about right now.

The problems of slavery are not really over and the problems left behind by slavery are certainly not over.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 06:15:03 PM »
I was not belittleing them, it is simply a gross distortion of history to claim that there were any Black Founding Fathers. This country was founded on slavery.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 06:18:24 PM »
The problems of slavery are not really over and the problems left behind by slavery are certainly not over.

I could not agree more.  But the GOP wants to remove the Federal supervision of voting in the South because they claim that there in no discrimination or attempt to keep people from voting. The GOP stands for the White and the rich and favors the destruction of the middle class. They are just somewhat sneaky about it.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 07:54:09 PM »

I could not agree more.  But the GOP wants to remove the Federal supervision of voting in the South because they claim that there in no discrimination or attempt to keep people from voting. The GOP stands for the White and the rich and favors the destruction of the middle class. They are just somewhat sneaky about it.

You are so behind the times.

Federal supervision is not especially southern anymore, now they cannot get away with so much up north anymore.

It is still quite possible to lodge complaint and injunctions can still be applied, but the presumption of guilt is less for the South.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 10:32:10 PM »
Some historians define the "Founding Fathers" to mean a larger group, including not only the Signers and the Framers but also all those who, whether as politicians, jurists, statesmen, soldiers, diplomats, or ordinary citizens, took part in winning American independence and creating the United States of America.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Founding_Fathers_of_the_United_States

These would be the historians that I agree with.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 08:50:26 PM »

These are the elite rule making class, the leaders that some people mean when they mention the "Founding Fathers" .

But I do not think this way, if these leaders had been alone they would have been engaged in sterile intellectual exercise.

The People that they represented knew them and chose them , the people at large could not be outraged or cheated more than their tolerance, nor led far from their nature.

My idea of "Founding Fathers" includes all participants who were not in opposition to the project of the USA.

I do not even make a distinction against "Founding Mothers" they didn't win the vote for a century , but their influence was felt sooner than the vote.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 10:10:04 AM »
The idea of state's rights made sense when the country was founded. It no longer makes as much sense. It encourages some states that are controlled by powerful oligarchies to tax the citizens to pay for freebies (free land, free services, low taxes or even no taxes for a period of time) to corporations to lure them away from their present locations. Mississippi will always be backward, because these sweetheart deals mean that these industries will become a powerful oligarchy, and continue to extract freebies from the taxpayers. Small businesses, that provide more jobs and tend to keep their money within the state, rarely get these juicy deals.

Voters in states that have few people. like Wyoming, can dominate the Senate and prevent innovations that would benefit a majority of the people.
I have lived in ten states, but I do not feel any special allegiance to any of them. The food and the culture are different (I prefer NM on both counts), and there are political differences (WA and MD are the best run, VA is far and away the worst), but the idea that this nation should allow different standards in education and tolerance is repulsive to me.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 01:37:02 PM »
  That does not work , Mississippi is a low tax state.

If you were talking of Massachusetts , where the federal tax is subsidizing the high state tax I might agree with you.

If the representation were perfectly proportional to population , wouldn't we still have the same domination by the large states that the first thirteen were worried about?

What would be the benefit to less populated states in making the representation proportional?

I agree New Mexico is beautiful,   I was there for a couple months  two years ago, Clovis where the arciological digs and the cheese plant are interesting, I even managed to recognize an artifact for a curator at the museum there.   Identifying an artifact that the curator couldn't is a triple score for a know it all.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 07:33:20 PM »
Clovis is not the pretty part of NM, though it is a nice friendly town, more like Lubbock than Santa Fe.

The beautiful parts of NM are the Rio Grande valley towns and the mountains, like the highways over the Black Range and the Sangre de Cristos.

I went to NMSU in Las Cruces, a Rio Grande valley town.  You come in from the north on US 54 over the Organ Mountains, If you put your car in neutral, you can coast all the way into town.

Mississippi is a backward state in which a small oligarchy owns everything worth owning. It is 50th for a reason and will always be so.  The whole state is on federal welfare: for every dollar Mississippi pays out in taxes, the feds pay $2.60 back. It is a low tax state because the oligarchy that runs MS have managed to finagle the rest of the country to subsidize their poverty.

The people of Mississippi is certainly friendlier than those of Massachusetts.