Author Topic: XO and friends don't want us to be able to protect ourselves! The Hell With That  (Read 5683 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Are the odds greater that you would shoot a burglar or that someone in your house might get shot?

I bet the NRA does not even keep records on that.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Wrong stat to try and employ...try reality vs might (as in might happen, but more than likely won't)...as in how about how many bad guys are shot by civilians trying to commit a crime vs how many are accidentally shot in the home
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 04:19:21 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
What units does one use for might and right?

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:

I bet you and nobody else keeps stats on how many crimes are prevented
because the thug realizes the person in the house, car, or business may
be "packing". I personally in my wilder young days refrained from going
over the top because my friends and I were concerned if we did what
we were considering doing we could have been shot. There is no doubt
criminals are often deterred from criminal activity because they fear for
their own safety.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Most burglars try to burgle when no one is home. You and your friends strangely needed the specter  of weapons to deter you from a life of crime. For most people, just respecting the rights of others seems to be enough.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Notice how you actually cut your own legs down there, Professor...that Burglars would rather tackle a home that they expect won't be defended...supporting the ongoing issue that bad guys would rather avoid the possibility of getting shot by someone defending themselves and/or their home

It's amazing how you claim a need of respecting the rights of others, while you trash the clear constitutional right that others have to keep a firearm.    ???

And as far as What units does one use for might and right?, I have no clue what language you're peaking there
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
You and your friends strangely needed the specter of weapons to deter you from a life of crime.
For most people, just respecting the rights of others seems to be enough.

Youthful exuberance has been around a long time
not  an excuse, but a fact
the description of "a life of crime" is a huge exaggeration
it deterred me from some stupid high school type vandalism
that I believe I have since been paid back for via karma

and as SIRS says I wish you would respect my rights right now

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
You and your friends strangely needed the specter of weapons to deter you from a life of crime.
For most people, just respecting the rights of others seems to be enough

and as SIRS says I wish you would respect my rights right now

Exactly.  Is the professor being ignorant when he makes a statement, like he just did, duplicitous, or just a plain hypocrite?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Are the odds greater that you would shoot a burglar or that someone in your house might get shot?

For the burglar? The odds of running afoul of an armed defender eventually are pretty steep.

The stats on accidental shootings are down , perhaps public awareness is good for this.

That is the upside of threats to the Second amendment.

I suppose there are other benefits to threats to the second amendment , election of more Republicans , improved sales of new and  used guns.

Personally I wish guns were cheaper again  , I haven't bought one in a while.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Yea, you're right plane.  In fact, I'm now seriously considering purchasing a semi-automatic rifle with scope.  Any suggestions as to what type of ammo I should focus on?  .223?, .308?, .338?  What are your thoughts about the Lapua round?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
What is the ratio of guns used to shoot burglars and gun accidents? That is the statistic that the NRA is unlikely to provide.

Too bad guns are sooo expensive. It would be nice if you could buy extra hands, so you could pack more of them at once, just in case you are burglarized by the Purple Gang.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
What is the ratio of guns used to shoot burglars and gun accidents? That is the statistic that the NRA is unlikely to provide.

A little confusion here.....I thought stats provided by the NRA couldn't be trusted.  Why would this be any different??  Or are we conceding that the stats the NRA provides is credible??  (the latter is a bit of a trick question, as the stats the NRA generally provided aren't "their stats", but ones acquired from sources, such as the FBI & Justice Dept)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:

Too bad guns are sooo expensive. It would be nice if you could buy extra hands, so you could pack more of them at once, just in case you are burglarized by the Purple Gang.

That sort of comparison might be interesting ,but when I try to search up stats relating to gun control I find a lot of twisted and stacked stats because practically every source has more axe to grind than devotion to truth.

About half the value of guns is perceived scarcity , I smell a bubble.