Author Topic: question about government involvements in our lives  (Read 16124 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
question about government involvements in our lives
« on: October 08, 2014, 10:35:56 AM »
do you guys have problems with the EPA,OSHA, FDA. etc.

I don`t have too much of an issue since I remember the 80`s and seriously food is way safer today than then. the expression" buyer beware" is never mentioned nowadays and nobody is heart broken that`s hurts businesses that live on that.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: question about government involvements in our lives
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 12:06:23 PM »
Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes

Oversight is one thing.  Obsessive regulation, after regulation, after mandate, after mandate is quite another.  Especially when the agencies are being abused to push ideological agendas, with the EPA baing a great example
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 01:00:02 PM »
don`t hold back

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 01:05:43 PM »
Never     ;)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 08:10:38 PM »
do you guys have problems with the EPA,OSHA, FDA. etc.

I don`t have too much of an issue since I remember the 80`s and seriously food is way safer today than then. the expression" buyer beware" is never mentioned nowadays and nobody is heart broken that`s hurts businesses that live on that.

Yes , they live like a hard coral, always growing .

Where they are needed and useful they are already sufficient, they always grow into the superfluous and harmful.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 08:20:44 PM »
Precisely

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 11:32:22 PM »
I have never had any problems with the federal government. Asshole local traffic cops have annoyed me twice in 50 years, and Homeland Security has a few pricks in it,
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 05:09:08 AM »
I have never had any problems with the federal government. Asshole local traffic cops have annoyed me twice in 50 years, and Homeland Security has a few pricks in it,

If everyone had your behavior and luck , there would be no need for government to exist.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 09:33:52 AM »
That is simply untrue. You are not thinking.

The FDA keeps medicines and foods at least safer. Traffic lights and signs are also useful to keep others from running into me.
I attended four public universities. I think the FAA makes flying much safer. I do not need to be annoyed by government for it to be useful to me.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 07:20:47 PM »
as i stated we've benefited on the safety oversight but I do see places where it really needs to tighten up. Ex. Peanut butter contamination that actually caused deaths. I see a pattern low funding cause less inspectors etc. . Overall most businesses watch themselves. With the example i just provided ,it kind if prove that method has flaws

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 07:32:21 PM »
Huh?

I was gonna link a specific peanut butter recall. But turns out thier are multiple recalls on peanut butter. Last one was in april. It looks to me all these companies should get regular visits from the inspector. I read somewhere the very nature of how peanut is made should make it fairly safe and is the reason why those business gets very little oversight. Looks like they need to rethink that.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 09:38:01 PM »
That is simply untrue. You are not thinking.

The FDA keeps medicines and foods at least safer. Traffic lights and signs are also useful to keep others from running into me.
I attended four public universities. I think the FAA makes flying much safer. I do not need to be annoyed by government for it to be useful to me.

Here is the problem , I can't say that there is too much government presence and involvement , too much regulation and restriction , without having to qualify that I don't want there to be none.

Suppose Water is good , does this mean that there cannot be too much of it?

There has never been a bigger government than ours , we have never had more rules , and never so many of us locked up .

There has to be enough regulation , but no one is calling a halt when that is surpassed and even when the rule book gets hard to carry , they never eliminate the obsolete rules.

If we doubled the size of the government our lives would not become twice as good with twice as many rules and twice as much surveillance for twice the price.

I think if the government were reduced to about half what it is we would be happier with half the rules , half the tax and half the watchers , much closer to the right size.

Perhaps an across the board cut would be non optimal, but any other sort of cuts gets bogged down in discussion of disagreement on what is fair, thus never happens.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 07:24:05 AM »
The key is to have a government that is efficient and trusted. Size is not so important as efficiency.  Reagan slashed the number of IRS employees,and auditing declined, along with tax collections. It took very little time to figure out how to successfully lie yourself into a lower tax bracket and not get caught at it. If you were paid a salary and deductions were made from your check, you were largely sh*t out of luck. If you had your own business and got paid in cash, you were in the clover.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 10:33:17 AM »
You're contradicting yourself xo.  All of us would prefer a more efficient Government.  However the bigger Government gets the more inefficient it becomes.  That's just a reality.  No one is a better steward of one's money than themselves.  The bigger, more bureaucratic Government gets, the more garbage like cronyism, loopholes, and stuff like I'm dealing with at the hospital coming out of a 2000piece crap legislation, where patients have to go home so much sooner after a major surgery.  Efficiency is the 1st casualty to an every growing government body.  Too many hands in the cookie tax jar, and not enough to keep politicians out of the jar

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 01:03:21 PM »
It is not a contradiction.
The government needs to be powerful where power is needed, as in fighting price fixing, bribery, pollution, selling dangerous drugs as cures.
It does not need to be powerful in more minor issues, like telling breweries what sizes their beer bottles can be sold in.