Author Topic: question about government involvements in our lives  (Read 16123 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: question about government involvements in our lives
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2014, 06:14:55 PM »
Let me also add, that although the claim is erroneous, that this supposedly all "happened during the Juniorbush administration", that wouldn't change anything. 

I never claimed it was Democrats alone, thus your knee jerk attempt to make this all a GOP debacle.  I made it painfully clear that this was the Fed, as in BOTH parties. 

Started under Clinton's Community Reinvestment Act, which put added pressure on banks to lend in low-income neighborhoods

That was pushed to even higher risk level under Bush's American Dream Downpayment Act.

Then when flags were being raised by Republicans, political wagons were circled around both Fannie & Freddie by the Dems in congress ....and the rest is factual history
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2014, 07:16:29 PM »
....and yes, Banks then took advantage of the loosening of regulations, to approve more and more loans, that they would have otherwise not approved. 

When the Fed tells you to do something, giving you both a financial incentive to do as much as you can, in the way of apporving such high risk loans, with the added looking over your licensing shoulder, via the FDIC, in the event you don't perform as "encouraged", they yes, banks are going to push that newly provided envelope. 

I mean, what could go wrong, when you have the Fed watching your back, via the tax payer?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2014, 08:52:03 PM »
bought? don`t you mean loaned

it`s already established the lenders target risky clients for the goal of getting property since at that time values are consistently going up and showing no sign of stopping.

Not so much.

Banks don't like to hold real estate, they like to receive payments .

A good loan paid on time is very profitable to a bank, but selling this loan to a bigger bank repays quickly and removes all the risk.

Foreclosures generally cause the banks to loose money , the younger the loan the worse the loss, a foreclosure on an older loan can be a profit to the bank because on an old loan they have gotten their principal out of it mostly and can sell the property... unless they cannot.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: October 21, 2014, 10:33:33 AM »
I observe that when you ask some teabagger about how the oppressive government is exhibiting totalitarian control over their lives, they invariably claim that they no longer have the ability to opt for inefficient light bulbs and  toilets.

Of course, it is not difficult to buy an old style toilet used in any color one desires. Then they claim that their plumber is forbidden to install said toilet. If one is not capable of installing a toilet, one is just to effing incompetent to live. Buck up 'baggerboys! you are supposed to be self-reliant, like the pioneers and the guys who designed the flags with the snake on it.

As for the lightbulbs, there are now vastly efficient LEDs as well as fluorescents  available, and you can easily save a bundle on electricity and replacement costs.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2014, 09:38:38 PM »
............ they no longer have the ability to opt for inefficient light bulbs and  toilets.

...............fluorescents  available, and you can easily save a bundle on electricity and replacement costs.

These are good examples of Government enforced foolishness.

If the wise were buying better bulbs and toilets , their evident advantage would soon persuade many to follow and also benefit.

Our government has almost no respect for the common man to have common sense, they tell him where he may and may not plough , what he may and may not sell as a crop what he must wear to work , what he may and may not say when he gets there and what risk he may or may not take.

There are few things left that our shepherding  government  does not control or influence, and there is work on controlling the few things left.

The TEA party has a pretty narrow focus , and they seem to do best when they stick pretty close to it, taxes are oppressive , taxes are a limiter on freedom and achievement. What the people can do without the government the people should do without the government and the government should not be larger than needed for handling the tasks that the people actually need the government for, is our government a good buy at the price we pay for it?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: October 21, 2014, 10:17:47 PM »
Efficient toilets and lightbulbs are very poorly enforced. You can easily buy any toilets or lightbulbs you want with total impunity.

But that is the usual example of the "oppression" that teabaggers complain about.

Monsanto controls farmers a lot more than the government.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: October 22, 2014, 01:30:10 AM »
  Thank God for poor enforcement of stupid laws.

Should we be depending on poor enforcement ?

Or would it be better for there to be less stupid law?

I wish there were some limit on the total number of laws , and a limit on the length and complexity of each law.

Then it would become necessary for Congress to make room for new laws by trimming the old ones, a chore that congress is very neglectful of .

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2014, 11:33:03 AM »
So far as I know, no one is trying to prosecute anyone for inefficient toilets or light bulbs. And as I said, this is the issue that teabaggers ALWAYS rant about, in addition to Obama trying to take away their guns, which is also a bogus claim.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2014, 01:01:20 PM »
Here's a funny thing....I'm a supposed "teabagger", and I've never ranted about that as some major issue.  I know many others, and never have they made that as a major issue.  I've seen many a "teabagger" commercial and rally, and not once have I seen them make this a major issue

How is it you're the only one that sees it as such??  Care to provide a link to some recorded speaking event, where teabaggers were making lightbulbs & toilets a major issue to be speaking on??  You know....something to back up your opinion??

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: October 23, 2014, 04:50:54 PM »
So far as I know, no one is trying to prosecute anyone for inefficient toilets or light bulbs. And as I said, this is the issue that teabaggers ALWAYS rant about, in addition to Obama trying to take away their guns, which is also a bogus claim.
No, taxes and sheer government ubiquity are the big TEA issues.

That the government wants to make quite minor decisions for you is what brings up light bulbs, but there are thousands of such government interventions in a typical American life. My personal peeve is that I could be fired for not wearing earplugs in the hangar, even if the condition at the time is silence.

Also the Obama administration attitude twards guns was recently elucidated by Eric Holder , who expressed deep regret that he has not managed to reduce access to guns .