Author Topic: Europe Model Welfare State that American Liberals love can't sustain itself!  (Read 6260 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Not entirely independently, because all these things are interrelated.

None of these can be entirely understood independently.

You can try, but you will never succeed at understanding these separately, because they are connected.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
That is fair.

But I consider my point to be valid , that "the economy" is not "the government " .

Also "the economy" is not a function of "the government ".

If your point is that the government has a strong effect on the economy , this I do accept as true, I might even accept that the economy has an effect on the government .

What I didn't accept was the idea that the economy didn't exist independently from the government.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
The economy and the government are intertwined everywhere.

In small countries, people realize that the government has little control over some things.

For example, in Costa Rica, the world price of coffee affects the economy severely, and often some insect or roya (fungus/rust) in a place like Brazil scan make coffee prices rise rapidly, as is about to happen. When the disease has been overcome, the Costa Ricans will have a minor economic crisis. As a rule, the two parties interchange positions every term.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Intertwined and even interdependent I admit .

But different in nature enough that thinking them the same thing or even parts of a larger whole is a mistake.

How do you consider the global economy?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
The global economy is, of course a hodgepodge of different influences, some acting in harmony. probably more in disharmony with one another.

The Argentine peso has been plummeting lately, because Kirchner tried to keep the vultures who speculated in pesos from making the big bucks and keeping the peso at 4 to the dollar at the same time. The IMF is making an example of her. She is none too bright, this has happened before.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
The global economy is, of course a hodgepodge of different influences, some acting in harmony. probably more in disharmony with one another.

Exactly right. And though it is an economy , it hasn't a government of its own.

The Argentine peso has been plummeting lately, because Kirchner tried to keep the vultures who speculated in pesos from making the big bucks and keeping the peso at 4 to the dollar at the same time. The IMF is making an example of her. She is none too bright, this has happened before.

Currency speculators are not being productive in any normal sense , but the vultures do keep governments from getting away with ridiculous fiat valuations.