Author Topic: Here is somrething I bet you never knew about the Peoples' Republic of China.  (Read 1525 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
When I was a kid, China did not actually exist, because the government did not recognize the People's Republic and because it was run by Commies, no teacher or school board thought that there was anything to say about Mao's China, or OUR China, ie the Republic of China, Chang Kai-Sheks's China on the small island of Taiwan.

There were only a couple of Chinese restaurants in Kansas City, and not being Jews seeking a special occasion to perhaps taste something that might be pork, my family never visited either of them. Paggliaccio's Italian Restaurant was as exotic as my father wanted to go.

Then years passed, and there were rumors that China really did exist. In 1977, I moved to Miami, and frequented Cantonese restaurants and reveled in Sweet and Sour Chicken, Yakamein soup, battered shrimp and such. In 1990, my friend Ying joined the faculty of my college and we became friends. He was born and raised on the Peng Hu Islands, otherwise known as the Pescadores, off the southern coast of Taiwan. His father was some sort of officer, and his mother, a local belle from the Islands. We went to lunch together often, because he knew all the best places for Chinese food, and I knew a lot of good Latino (Cuban, Argentine, Colombian, Peruvian., Mexican) places.

Eventually, at the age of forty, he married a woman from TsingTao, a city on the mainland settled by Germans, and famous for a Pilsner beer that bears the town's name. Here is where it gets interesting. His wife has one sister, because she was born before the one child policy was put in effect. Ying's in-laws are now in their late 70's, and were formerly factory workers. and they have been retired, on a liveable pension, since they were FIFTY. They were not bureaucrats, not even party members, and they have a modern apartment that has all the conveniences except AC. They earn enough to pay Ying and his wife a visit and to pay for food when they visit.

I think the average American perception of retired elderly Chinese was they they worked pretty much until they dropped and lived out their golden years tending swine, ducks and geese in a village with a lot of mud and rice paddies. But no, this is not the case.

They retired at fifty, with health care, an apartment and pretty much what they might have been able to afford at Red Button's Century Village in Margate.

How about that?  Who woulda thunk?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  That is good.

But China is also where the greatest famine the human world has ever seen could happen without press coverage.

In Hong Kong some well fed and well cared for Chinese citizens are asking for some civil rights that they feel they are being denied.

I think China has a lot of improvement happening , but it there isn't a real comparison to the deal an American citizen has.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
uhm ,pretty much all my family retired before their fifty-five. I didn`t know that was strange till I retired and found a lot of folk being shocked about that.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Hong Kong is very prosperous, but the difference in income is huge, and many younger people cannot afford to rent even a small apartment, according to Time magazine.

If there were a famine in China now, there would be press coverage.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  You think so?

Most of them know nothing of the Tiananmen massacre right now.

Except in Hong Kong , where its memory is living.

Proving that they are pretty brave there.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
I doubt that Chinese are so ignorant of the Tianamen Square massacre, and I doubt that they consider it all that relevant to their lives today.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
I doubt that Chinese are so ignorant of the Tianamen Square massacre, and I doubt that they consider it all that relevant to their lives today.

If the Kent State massacre casualties were multiplied by approximately 200, and a lot of the survivors spent decades in jail, and you could be arrested for singing a song about it.

You would not admit its relevance in your life either.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
I did not say that it would not be significant to ME.

I just don't think that this generation of Chinese would identify all that much with it.

The Chinese government has declared that it will not allow just any candidates to run for office in Hong Kong. All candidates must be approved by the hierarchy. We shall see what happens next.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  Yes .

China has virtues and foibles .

China is interesting.